Storage Auctions

The "Safe" factor...

The "Safe" factor...
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:38:56 AM »
A safe...
sealedonlinebids.com/detail.asp?id=3662
No safe...
sealedonlinebids.com/detail.asp?id=3663

...or does someone disagree and think that this is due to geography?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: The "Safe" factor...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »
Sorry, but I'm living up to my pledge not to look at links that contain the words "sealedbidsonline".  Maybe this is the new way to buy lockers, but in this regard I'm an old fashioned guy. I'm guessing your thread here isn't about an actual safe being in a lkr, but rather whether it would be "safe" to bid on one lkr vs. another based on a picture (or half a dozen pics).

I'm a gambler when it comes to buying some lkrs, but I can't make the leap to gambling on a two-dimensional view of a lkr.

Am I correct in thinking that the sealedbidsonline works only online, and that if I lived within 10 miles of a unit I couldn't actually attend a physical auction at that location? I would guess that is the case as if they did it live and online it would be a nightmare co-ordinating multiple bids coming in on-site and on web-site. They wouldn't have the capability of a place like Christy's!  ;D

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
First one has a small suitcase safe in it ...going for $2000k+ but in Arizona.

Second one has a fair amount of sellable stuff ...going for $300 I think but in North Carolina.

:) ...now you don't have to look at the link. 

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
@ Beauzero, I don't know if all the difference is the safe (lockbox), but it's a big part of the difference. The second unit has stuff that can be tought to sell (piano, baby crib) the first one with the lock box is showing pricey smalls, looks like a lot of stuff from Bombay, Target and who knows what in the totes; Easy to move. Second unit looks like a dog hunter's unit, look at all those pet carrying crates, other crates look like for wildlife and some camo showing. Sure, there is some boxes to go through too, but the first unit looks a little better quality. Although I don't see $2,000 in there, so...

@Movieman, from what I understand, even if you live right down the street from the location holding the online auction you just can't pop over and take a look. You would have a competitive advantage over others. But you know how these things go, if you have a good relationship with the owner/manager they might let you take a look anyway.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »

@Movieman, from what I understand, even if you live right down the street from the location holding the online auction you just can't pop over and take a look. You would have a competitive advantage over others. But you know how these things go, if you have a good relationship with the owner/manager they might let you take a look anyway.

That tells you a lot about the value of the "picture" auction..IMO.  Probably the facility and the auctioneer are the ones who really make out on these sales, even more so than a regular storage auction.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »
I have been watching the onlines because the postal auction here has started using govdeals and the prices went thru the roof (main job).  Thanks for the info cobia.  I could sell the dog crates much quicker than Bombay stuff.  Yard sale and cl...those crates would put that unit at break even for me...just our local market.  I might be able to get to 500 on the other...don't do the flea...just sell smalls to a guy in our warehouse who takes to fleas...can't give up Saturday's kids and auctions...Sunday's are moving days.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:16:22 AM »
Ive bid on a couple in my area, but haven't won any. Just not willing to take as much risk if I can't get a good look, sniff in person and put my own lock on the door when it closes.

My paranoia tells me it would be real easy for employees to wait till the bidding is over and go inside and grab stuff out of the back that couldn't be seen in the picture, not to mention the obvious chance of pilfering the units of smalls, jewelry, whatever even before it goes to auction.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:59:06 AM »
Sorry, but I'm living up to my pledge not to look at links that contain the words "sealedbidsonline".  Maybe this is the new way to buy lockers, but in this regard I'm an old fashioned guy. I'm guessing your thread here isn't about an actual safe being in a lkr, but rather whether it would be "safe" to bid on one lkr vs. another based on a picture (or half a dozen pics).

I'm a gambler when it comes to buying some lkrs, but I can't make the leap to gambling on a two-dimensional view of a lkr.

Am I correct in thinking that the sealedbidsonline works only online, and that if I lived within 10 miles of a unit I couldn't actually attend a physical auction at that location? I would guess that is the case as if they did it live and online it would be a nightmare co-ordinating multiple bids coming in on-site and on web-site. They wouldn't have the capability of a place like Christy's!  ;D
I agree with you on the online thing but what do you do when all the best places you buy from are going online? Some of the best facilitys I used to buy from have gone to online. I hate it but what do you do?

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »
Ive bid on a couple in my area, but haven't won any. Just not willing to take as much risk if I can't get a good look, sniff in person and put my own lock on the door when it closes.

My paranoia tells me it would be real easy for employees to wait till the bidding is over and go inside and grab stuff out of the back that couldn't be seen in the picture, not to mention the obvious chance of pilfering the units of smalls, jewelry, whatever even before it goes to auction.
Ive heard alot of storys in my area of pilfering of units as well right at close of auction.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »
I agree with you on the online thing but what do you do when all the best places you buy from are going online? Some of the best facilitys I used to buy from have gone to online. I hate it but what do you do?

Seems to me the choices you have are pretty obvious:

1) continue to buy from the places you used to like (now online) and overpay the way you say people are doing (no profit).

2) don't continue to buy from the places you used to like....at least you are not overpaying.

3) buy from places you don't like as much but maybe you'll make some money.

4) don't buy from places you don't like as much and guarantee you won't lose money or make money.

5) other choices I have forgotten ?

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »
First one has a small suitcase safe in it ...going for $2000k+ but in Arizona.

Ahem $2000k would be $2million I think you meant $2k or $2 thousand.

The safe likely only contains paperwork only of value to the owner.  I have found many of them and rarely so they contian valuables.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
Sorry I was using government math  ;D

xx
I hit the "wow" factor....

Started by Magickalmoon01

16 Replies
Last post February 01, 2012, 08:30:53 AM
by Cobia
xx
GoogleTrends analysis of interest in the term "Online Storage Auctions"

Started by MovieMan