Storage Auctions

Today was a home run!

Today was a home run!
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »
Today I went to an auction that was unadvertised in all the normal places. There were 3 people attending the auction, including myself. There were 7 units for sale plus 2 vans. The vans were crap.. I ended up with 4 units and I paid a total of $295. I'm not even close to emptying out the units.. but what I got so far from my first 2 broken down as follows..

#1.. Bought for $20

I pulled some kids clothes, easy sell at fleas. A gaming chair, have yet to test it. A dorm room style kitchen table with 4 chairs. Table folds on both sides, chairs fold and are stored in the middle. Some college books, haven't checked them out yet.

#2.. Bought for $25

I was feeling really bad about this unit. A lot of mechanic type stuff. Brake fluid, bulbs, oil filters, etc. I dig a little further and pull out a rubbermaid bin of glassware. I open the first box, it's a Terry Labonte mug. It'll sell here in Nascar country. Next few newspaper wrapped items are pilsner glasses, DAB beer (German). 5 of those pilsner glasses, I'm thinking about $30 for the lot. Than I see a Mikasa box. Crystal toasting glasses. Tag says $89.99. It's getting better... Then I see a bunch of white unmarked boxes. I open the first box and it's fine china. Noritake 9771 Pacific Majesty. The other boxes completed the set. I have a serving of 4 complete. Amazon has it listed for $525.00!

Today reminded me of the good old days before Storage Wars brought the big crowds!

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Today was a home run!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 01:46:06 AM »
Today reminded me of the good old days before Storage Wars brought the big crowds!

Kink of makes you want to file suit against the producers for ruining our income, doesn't it?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »
May your luck bless us all!  :)

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »
Kink of makes you want to file suit against the producers for ruining our income, doesn't it?

I wonder if those of us that could prove we were in the game before the shows could file a class action for lost income?  Wouldn't that grab some headlines...........

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
Dang that is a nice haul there man.  Don't you love when you can score like that.  I've only been to one auction in 2 years where we had a dozen units and only 5 people.  Even the out in the woods auctions have a dozen locals that bid for the "fun" of it.

I'm praying to the auction gods that a local sell on April 20th is a good number of units and few serious bidders.  I scored 6 units last time for less then $100 here last year.  Just very low quality stuff for the most part.  Only problem is I'm also selling that day at a large community flea/yard sale.  $45 for the spot but I normally make $200-$300 after expenses and move alot of older inventory.

Hope your luck continues.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »
I wonder if those of us that could prove we were in the game before the shows could file a class action for lost income?

Us along with:
Crab fishermen
Gold miners
Pickers
Loggers
Pawn shops &
Real estate investors    ;D

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
Us along with:
Crab fishermen
Gold miners
Pickers
Loggers
Pawn shops &
Real estate investors    ;D

Don't forget!
Hog Hunters/hunting guides
Alligator Harvesters
Duck Call Makers
Child Beauty Contestants 
 :)

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »
Don't forget!
Hog Hunters/hunting guides
Alligator Harvesters
Duck Call Makers
Child Beauty Contestants 
 :)

Oh Wait! There's also!
Ice Road Truck Drivers
Wild Animal Wraglers/Exterminators
Auto Reposessers

If only they would make some TV shows about how lucrative lawn care & car detailing businesses are!  ::)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »

If only they would make some TV shows about how lucrative lawn care & car detailing businesses are!  ::)

Lawn Care Wars would be a great show!  They could have 3 competitive lawn care providers going after new contracts, sabotaging other teams' equipment etc ! 

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:45 AM »
Lawn Care Wars would be a great show!

I'm kind of partial to Paint Wars. We could see how fast two teams can paint a house. Then for the cliffhanger part of the show, they could time how long it takes the paint to dry while we get to watch.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »
Congrats to you!!!!  I love hearing about those who work hard and attend auctions as a way of life and paying bills making out like kings and queens.  Hope you continue to have good luck!

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »

Since I do Auto Detailing I can assure you there will never be a show on how lucrative it is....
And that's all I need.   Even more competition.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 03:52:20 AM »
Perhaps one day someone will make a reality show about how lucrative it is to make reality shows.  ;D

xx
$650 27' Motor Home

Started by Travis

19 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 08:27:18 AM
by Travis
xx
Auction near home

Started by terrorbow

13 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 12:35:12 PM
by ChefJ