Storage Auctions

Walking away from a unit

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Walking away from a unit
« on: November 10, 2013, 03:53:25 AM »
Have you eve bought a unit that wasn't what you expected? Maybe it was too much work or not worth investing any more time in. If so, did you leave the unit behind?

Re: Walking away from a unit
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »
I did it once.  It turned out to be years of trash, rats, mice and nasty crap.  I didn't feel bad because it was staged to cover up the crap.  If they cut the lock and it is unstaged it would be a different story, but this place already had them open.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
When I was a newbie, the fourth locker I bought turned out to be one of those that looked good from the door but everything behind the first two feet was total trash. I went through everything and could barely see my money back. When I considered transportation costs, time involved to move everything and dump fees, I just walked away. Luckily I didn't get banned. I felt bad every time I went back to their auctions. I was always worried that the manager was going to recognize me. Oh well, newbie mistake. I've never left a unit behind since then.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »
Nope, never walked away from one. You buy it and it's yours, walking away is the same as reneging on a contract. I highly value my word when I give it.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
I never walked away. But some of you may remember the unit I bought that was a band rehearsal space. There was framing inside the unit, insulation, rugs nailed to the framing.. I ended up making about $100 on the unit, but definitely not worth the demo and removal of raw goods.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 08:02:10 PM »
Good, bad, ugly I have never walked away from a unit. A couple of months ago a bidder showed up at an auction that had walked away. Newbie and the unit was way more than he could handle. We were at a different facility but same owner. He was not so nicely asked to leave. I felt bad for him because it didn't have to be done so publicly in my opinion. Guess that is what you get. Bad part for him is this owner owns 6 facilities in this small area. Sure cuts down on options to buy.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »
i hate wasting money, i mean heck stained tshirts and stuff i like to try to sell at garage sales and flea markets as rags to wash teh car. home depot charges like 5 bucks for a pack of rags get a whole bag of them from me for a buck. that said that attitude can wind up turning you into a hoarder. i've bought units where its like all clthes and particle board furniture where your lucky if you can get it taken for free on cl. ive not left lockers as i dont want to be not allowed back at a facility but basically done a quick flip through and dumped the whole unit

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 09:18:27 AM »
The one I walked away from was staged, in fact all of the 14 units they sold that day was staged.  I felt bad about it, but when a facility dumps there trash in a unit and sells it as someones personal stuff, that is misleading the public.  They advertised only 3 units up for auction, but ended up selling 14 units.  I'm sorry but as I see it they made no stipulations on leaving a clean unit, and if they are not going to be honest about what they are selling the heck with them.  Its not like I just walked off and stuck them with it.  I called and showed pictures of big dead rats in it, and let them know one did bite me... 

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
I walked away! I went to idaho bid on the unit won the unit and even went into unit before I settled the bill. There were two units auctioned off that day. But they had other auction there as well, they had a whole table full of stuff as well as furinture that was being auctioned off as well. I was told to pay after the auction was done for the day. We walked in the unit looked at the stuff and just left. This was three years ago

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
I would imagine it happens more than we think. Especially with newcomers and units that are a gamble. Let's say there was a jewelry box or a safe right up front. Someone overpays for the unit hoping there are valuables inside. Buyer hangs back and lets the auctioneer & crowd leave. They open the jewelry box/safe and see that it's empty and then realize that the unit isn't worth what they bid. Next thing you know they've left without paying.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 08:58:55 PM »
The one I walked away from was staged, in fact all of the 14 units they sold that day was staged.  I felt bad about it, but when a facility dumps there trash in a unit and sells it as someones personal stuff, that is misleading the public.  They advertised only 3 units up for auction, but ended up selling 14 units.  I'm sorry but as I see it they made no stipulations on leaving a clean unit, and if they are not going to be honest about what they are selling the heck with them.  Its not like I just walked off and stuck them with it.  I called and showed pictures of big dead rats in it, and let them know one did bite me...

How'd you get bit by a dead rat?  ???

xx
The Walking Dead

Started by janette

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2015, 06:10:13 AM
by Stan
xx
Texas Prosecutor Gunned Down Walking To The Court House

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 08:54:51 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Comic book about gov't secrets getting auctioned off in a storage unit "Unit 44"

Started by StorageAuctionFinds

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 03:16:45 PM
by alloro
xx
Don't touch things in the unit or Don't get caught touching things in the unit?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 10:13:18 AM
by craiglstauction