Storage Auctions

What do you all do with the clothes you find?

Offline Adam

What do you all do with the clothes you find?
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:44:08 PM »
Hey Guys!

Since I have started, I have been donating all the clothes I find to goodwill, Vietnam Vets, etc, etc. Not saying that it is a bad thing at all. But I cant help but think to myself that I am just giving away potential profits.

For those who take the time to sell clothes, what have you found to be the most efficient and profitable way to sell them?

I was thinking just a flat 50 cents a piece at the flea market. But by selling clothes at the flea market, do you buy clothing racks, hang each piece up, and have them take up most of your space? Or do you throw them all in plastic tubs and let people go crazy?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Re: What do you all do with the clothes you find?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
Nicer clothes go on a rack for me. Stained clothes/underwear go in the trash. Anything that isn't nice enough to sell, I donate. I try to sell clothes in bulk.. I do "stuff your bag" deals.. Take a plastic bag, fit all the clothes you can.. $10 for adult clothes, $15 for kids/teen clothes, $20 for baby/toddler clothes.

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »
Nicer clothes go on a rack for me. Stained clothes/underwear go in the trash. Anything that isn't nice enough to sell, I donate. I try to sell clothes in bulk.. I do "stuff your bag" deals.. Take a plastic bag, fit all the clothes you can.. $10 for adult clothes, $15 for kids/teen clothes, $20 for baby/toddler clothes.

That seems like really good way to sell them, never thought of that. I would also would want to do more bulk type sales. Nothing is more annoying than having someone digging through a box for 20min to buy one 50 cent item!

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:19:25 PM »
Nothing is more annoying than having someone digging through a box for 20min to buy one 50 cent item!

The one thing you get from someone nosing through your stuff just to make 1 sale, is the sense that you have good stuff to look at. At a flea market, nothing attracts customers better than a busy table/booth.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:23:15 PM »
I made a small fortune selling clothing at my garage sales. I just spread out blankets on the ground, made a huge pile of clothes and let people pick through it. Didn't wash it, didn't fold it, just put it in the pile as is. 50 cents - $2 per item.

I didn't sort through it at all, I didn't have time to. I'm sure somewhere along the line I sold some designer clothing for a few bucks but I was concerned about that. I just wanted to move things quickly. Plus, that's probably the reason that my garage sales were so popular, people knew that they were a treasure hunt and they were always going to find a bargain.

I usually made $200-500 on clothing every week. And yes, if you're not selling your clothing, you're leaving money on the table. Selling clothing and common household items can be the difference between making a profit and losing money on a locker.

At the very least, find someone at your local auctions that deals in clothing and sell it to them. Even if you only get $5 per trash bag, it's better than nothing.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
I hope you've been going through the bags of clothes as well. I check every pocket and pull out cash from time to time. Not a lot, $2 here $5 there.. but there's no easier profit in a locker than finding money. Also, some people like to pack fragile items in clothes bags.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 10:49:24 PM »
I hope you've been going through the bags of clothes as well. I check every pocket and pull out cash from time to time. Not a lot, $2 here $5 there.. but there's no easier profit in a locker than finding money. Also, some people like to pack fragile items in clothes bags.

When I was buying full time, I never had time to to thoroughly search clothing, shoes, behind pictures, etc.

Heck, one time at my garage sale I had one of my regulars bring me a small box of gold jewelry and say "you probably didn't want to leave that out there did you?"

Mine was a high volume operation. The quick flip was the goal. I probably lost money here and there but I was making so much money selling in volume that it didn't really matter.

I could of made a fortune if I had a thrift store, somewhere I could have thoroughly sorted things out and asked higher prices for the merchandise. Might try the thrift store idea one day. If I do, it'll be in the country somewhere...30 miles or so from the nearest Wal-Mart.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
Clothing sell good here, it sells, but I only try to get a dollar or two out of a pair of jeans or shoes.  When I had time I place the nicer clothing on hangers and the old stuff got donated.  One thing that I have learned really quickly, don't let a potential customer leave with your money.....  I know that it might sound stupid, but if I look at he person and they look as if they are on a fixed income or just old and trying to survive I will sell it cheaper. 

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »
We sell it.  If it doesn't sell for a reasonable price, our plan is to donate it to goodwill, and use it as a tax write off. 

Dont sell it for truly cheap as the tax writeoff can be better.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
They also have places like traders outpost that will buy in style and vintage clothes. that should be ur fist stop after going thru them

Offline MTP

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »
I sell $2,000-$3.000 a month in clothing on ebay.
It is one of the biggest categroies on ebay.
Brand name, good or better condition condition.
Does NOT have to be Gucci or True Religions (I actaully hesitate listing those due to the number of knockoffs).
I sell most in the $10-25 range.
It's my bread and butter business while switching to my new venture.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 12:03:24 AM »
For me with the store I have found that clothing is a waste of valuable floor space. Half of it gets stolen and bags days are the only time things sell. I have kept one rack for designer and high end stuff and the rest goes to the local thrift store. I refuse to donate to Good Will ever again as the last time I took clothing they wanted to pick through it and only take the good stuff.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »
I refuse to donate to Good Will ever again as the last time I took clothing they wanted to pick through it and only take the good stuff.

That's why I like donation drop boxes. No refusal and open 24/7.

No tax write off, but that probably doesn't concern most of you.  ;)

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 08:14:53 AM »
During the sort I pull anything that will get at least $10 on Ebay & sell those articles there. At yard sales I would sell clothes at .50 cents & jeans + jackets for a dollar. Now that I have a store, anything not Ebayable gets rocked out at .25 cents a piece. I move a lot more clothes this way. Not really leaving "money on the table" cause the velocity of money coming in at that price is quicker then at .50 cents or a dollar a piece & I have less clothes taking up space or need to donate. Any clothes during sort that have stains, tears, excessive wear; socks & low-end under garments go straight to neighboring thrift store.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
Now that I have a store....

How did I miss the announcement that you getting into a store ?  If I missed a thread can you give me a link, or otherwise fill me (us) in.  With only 10 or so posts a day of late on the forum almost ANY news is good news !

Craigslstauction hasn't been active for about 3 months here, rockintheretro and the gal from Florida have been absent for what seems like a year.....pretty DULL around here. 

xx
Clothes- how does everyone do?

Started by 39shades

17 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 09:03:11 AM
by Cobia
xx
Getting bad smells out of clothes.

Started by Zao24

8 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 10:24:33 PM
by drbecker