Storage Auctions

When to say it must go?

When to say it must go?
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »
When do you give up on trying to get a good price for stuff.  I have stuff that I know is worth good money, but people are not wanting to buy.  I try to separate the stuff in selling types, like eBay, CL, yard sale and donations.  When do you just say its time to go... I hate to just give stuff away, but I don't want to keep it either....

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: When to say it must go?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
For me, I guess it just depends on the item and the value. If it's small, I don't mind storing it for a while. If it's a larger item, I'll give it a month and then start reducing the price gradually until it sells. I've got a chlorine generator/pool sanitization system that originally cost around $2,500. Started at $1500, then $1200, then $1000 and so on. I'm now down to $300. I can't get rid of this thing, but I don't want to let it go for next to nothing. So, I just relist it on eBay week after week.  :-[

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:37:14 AM »
i allow myself 600 square feet of space, thats IT, I price things to where it will sell before that space fills up. Stuffed animals and lower end clothes all get donated, i dont even mess with it. Any dollar items get thrown in a box and sent to the auction house, anything $30 or more goes to craigslist or ebay depending on size, anything $2-$29 goes in my shop/yard sale/flea market. If i get tired of seing something it goes to the local auction house. Items are not worth what you think theyre worth, they are worth what people will pay. If people arent paying, either the price is too high or your ad is written wrong. Just my opinion on how i do stuff.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
For me, I guess it just depends on the item and the value. If it's small, I don't mind storing it for a while. If it's a larger item, I'll give it a month and then start reducing the price gradually until it sells. I've got a chlorine generator/pool sanitization system that originally cost around $2,500. Started at $1500, then $1200, then $1000 and so on. I'm now down to $300. I can't get rid of this thing, but I don't want to let it go for next to nothing. So, I just relist it on eBay week after week.  :-[

Travis, you need to let this one go....yep I creeped your ebay. I checked with my sources (family is in the swimming pool service and repair business) was expensive new but is outdated now and unlikely that anyone will be looking for one. Or maybe just add a 'make offer' option to your listing and you might get someone looking to replace just a part.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
Travis, you need to let this one go....yep I creeped your ebay. I checked with my sources (family is in the swimming pool service and repair business) was expensive new but is outdated now and unlikely that anyone will be looking for one. Or maybe just add a 'make offer' option to your listing and you might get someone looking to replace just a part.

That's good advice. I'll let it run it's cycle and then the next time I'll add the make an offer.