Storage Auctions

Where do you offload lp or vinyl records?

Where do you offload lp or vinyl records?
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:18:38 PM »
A few months back we ran across one unit which had a bunch of records in boxes. The unit went for $130.  We took it to 100 and the wife was stressing out on it.  If you stacked them up it would be about 6 feet tall amount.  Does anyone know a good place to sell them?..

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Where do you offload lp or vinyl records?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »
I haven't studied records very much, but for the most part they are (IMO) hard to unload. Like movies they are TITLE DRIVEN, or ARTIST DRIVEN more likely.

There are two shoppers who make the rounds at the flea market where I sell and that's all they buy. I once had about 50 assorted LPs that they went through....they bought one at $3.  I have seen them spend 10/15 minutes going through hundreds that one guy had and they didn't buy one.

Unless you get the Beatles White Album or something similar they are not going to be worth much and you'll haul them out a lot to get rid of them.  An independent record store might give you a dollar or two apiece and that means they will be selling them for $5 or so. I've done that before and the guy bought maybe 5 out of 100 I would take in. He had that store for the better part of 20 years and now he's gone.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
All I can say is "good luck".  As Movieman said it's very title and/or artist driven.  Then the condition comes into play, etc.  I have a bunch of LPs I got for free for cleaning out a unit.  Now the CD collection I sold for $100.  The recrods are all still sitting on/under my kitchen table.  I see where a few specific records sell on ebay.  I'm trying them in lots.  However, for what I see sales at when include fees, shipping, etc. I don't see where these people are even making $.25 a record.  I'm going to try ebay a few more times and then to the trash they go.  Just to heavy, bluky, and worth pennies to mess with much.

Now - if you have that one special record in good+ conditon you can be talking 10, 20, even $50 for that one.  But they are rare.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »

Now - if you have that one special record in good+ conditon you can be talking 10, 20, even $50 for that one.  But they are rare.

About 7 years ago I got a nice hope chest in a locker and the one thing I remember from it was a boxed set of Beatles records. It was in a dark blue "sleeve" of about 4 to 6 records and as I recall they were pressed in England. I took this set to the guy I mentioned in the post I made above.  He actually had one in a glass case at his store and he gave me advice on how to sell it on eBay. He wasn't going to buy it from me as he already had one and I gathered he had it for awhile already.

I listed it on eBay and it went for $85 I think. That was the only big record sale I've ever made and I think I've really only sold maybe 10 single copy records in 9 years with them only selling in the $3 to $5 area for each one.

Names like Rolling Stones, Beatles, Monkees, etc do well, and if a Chicago or Dylan fan is walking by at the right time those and others would sell too, but it's really hit and miss and hardly worth the effort as Clist says.  Heavy, bulky, non-sellers, like most books .... at a flea market....sometimes OK on eBay, or try to sell them in bulk on Clist at as little as a dime or 25 cents each if you have say 100 to 500 of them...but they have to take them all at that price.

Can't you just see someone coming to look at 500 records and wanting to go through them to find the 5 they want at 25 cents each? !    You could write the ad on Clist to say something like....."This works out to 25 cents each, or you can sort through them and buy single copies at $10 each !"  ;D  That pretty much says it all to the record collector.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »
Here's an eBay link to a recent sale of a Beatles collection. I THINK this might be the same one I sold for $85 7 years or so ago. I don't remember mine having 13 records, but the box was about 1" thick or so, so it might have been the same one.

If this was the same one I guess I should have held on to it for 7 more years. This one brought around $240 I think.
Some guys are asking up to $2,000 for similar sets on eBay (maybe lps and 45rpm sets of more than 13 records) That doesn't mean they'll get it of course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beatles-Vinyl-Album-LP-Records-Collection-UK-Edition-Boxed-Set-/221183109916?pt=UK_Records&hash=item337f8a6b1c

xx
vinyl 45's

Started by Millertime

1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2013, 05:07:40 PM
by Alias300
xx
Patient records ... Yeowza!!

Started by DewGuru

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 09:17:15 PM
by VinceRN