Storage Auctions

Where have "all" the posters gone ?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Where have "all" the posters gone ?
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
The last 4 days or so the "only" people posting are Travis and I.

What's happened to HGP, RFR, Cobia, Teacher, Alloro, Calcoastgal....geez, that's a pretty small group to keep this thing going.

Edit:

I looked back through the last 50 posts (through part of Feb 4, 2014) and of those posts, 44 or so were made by Travis and I. BWD made one and Luke had a few. Alloro had a couple.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Where have "all" the posters gone ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »
Come on guys !  Support your forum!

Post, post, post !

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
Perhaps we need some fresh topics.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 09:45:54 AM »
Perhaps we need some fresh topics.

Well, let's see what your two new ones posted today do.  The "fancy" name for that is "innui".

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »
No time.  I'm taking 17 credits.  It's about 60hrs/week of work.  Then still trying to scratch out a little dough and the move.....I'm to old for this sh*t.   :-[

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »
I have been lurking but not posting. Nothing really going on here except selling items. Missed three auctions last because of being sick.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
I posted more in the last week then I did in the last year.. Anyway, I was just thinking the new name of the forum should be driving more steady traffic, I no longer have to look up the old name in google when i forget it, this one sticks in my head.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:03:30 PM »
I posted more in the last week then I did in the last year.. Anyway, I was just thinking the new name of the forum should be driving more steady traffic, I no longer have to look up the old name in google when i forget it, this one sticks in my head.

It will be getting more traffic as soon as the search engines pick up the new URL and rank the site. As of today (a week after we changed domains) Google is still showing search results for Storage Auction Forums. It will probably take a few more weeks before we start to rank really well. If the traffic stays the same as it was on the forum and VSA, the merger should cause us to have more traffic than any other storage auction site on the web. I'll post the traffic numbers in a few weeks once everything has settled.

Oh, and Luke, thank you for contributing to the forum!

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »
i havent been posting because im pretty much out of the auction game, I havent been to one in 6-8 months and havent bought anything since dec 2012
gave up the flea market too
havent had anything of value to post so i havent  :-X

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
i havent been posting because im pretty much out of the auction game, I havent been to one in 6-8 months and havent bought anything since dec 2012
gave up the flea market too
havent had anything of value to post so i havent  :-X

And THOSE REASONS are very valid ones for not posting....in my opinion.

Like you I have pretty much given up on storage auctions. I only go to ones very close to home and that is primarily to socialize with the regulars who haven't yet given them up. If a GREAT locker came along I would buy it, but that's about it.

Like you I also gave up selling at the flea market after selling at the same one about 45 Saturdays every year for just short of 10 years.  Crowds down, profits down. Picking profits up with selling on eBay and Clist only.

No doubt...in my opinion...that there are others who used to post here who just aren't that into the auctions anymore and therefore have no reason to post as calcoast gal also said.

Cobia is using picking and wholesale purchases as his main source of items also. HGP still buys lockers but not as many and has been doing more picking the last few months. There are others too but I don't remember who they are at this moment.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »
I only buy 4 to 6 a year, but I normally buy packed ones, just takes me a while to sell most the contents off.

I still got stuff on my shelves from the first locker I bought back in 2011.  I probably got something left over from every locker except a few that I might of completely got rid of.  I normally wait till I have 80% of the contents sold from the previous locker, before I start looking for a new one.

I try to list a few things every night and then just recycle it a few times before it heads to the garage sale pile.  The only thing that stays around are books, cds, etc that fit on a shelf that just hangs out till amazon finally sells those.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »
The last 4 days or so the "only" people posting are Travis and I.

What's happened to HGP, RFR, Cobia, Teacher, Alloro, Calcoastgal....geez, that's a pretty small group to keep this thing going.

Edit:

I looked back through the last 50 posts (through part of Feb 4, 2014) and of those posts, 44 or so were made by Travis and I. BWD made one and Luke had a few. Alloro had a couple.

You're slipping!  I made one on the 4th.....went to an auction and posted about it.....you missed!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 11:57:20 PM »
You're slipping!  I made one on the 4th.....went to an auction and posted about it.....you missed!

Yep, I did miss that one. Say, are you still a moderator? I don't see that designation anymore; I think it's missing for Alloro also.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 12:14:34 AM »
Yep, I did miss that one. Say, are you still a moderator? I don't see that designation anymore; I think it's missing for Alloro also.

Their status will reinstated tomorrow.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 06:15:23 AM »
I've had to spend more time in the field like Movieman mentioned with picking and other avenues for getting inventory. Over the last year the quality of items in storage units in my area has gone down noticeably, and over the last 6 months the number going up for auction has gone down too. I attribute this to knowledge of the renters knowing their stuff WILL get sold at auction because of the TV shows, and probably a slight improving in the general economy.

I don't even think of the flea market sales in terms of profit anymore, it's just the last place to dispose of items that won't sell in other venues and the last stop before the donation center. I can see why Movieman would say profit is down, I know everything I buy has risen in price over the last 5 years but a load of stuff taken to the flea market doesn't bring in anymore money now then it did 5 years ago, so all costs are up over this time period but sales are flat.

Although I am more knowledgeable as to what things sell where and I don't take nearly as many goodies to the flea market for other pickers to pick off me as I use to. All that means is I make the same money but the buyers have less profitable items to pick.

xx
GoogleTrends analysis of interest in the term "Online Storage Auctions"

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:06:27 AM
by MovieMan
xx
More good storys "Fake Storage Wars loses its luster"

Started by bwd111

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
by monkeybusiness