Storage Auctions

Where have "all" the posters gone ?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Where have "all" the posters gone ?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 07:41:36 AM »
I've had to spend more time in the field like Movieman mentioned with picking and other avenues for getting inventory. Over the last year the quality of items in storage units in my area has gone down noticeably, and over the last 6 months the number going up for auction has gone down too. I attribute this to knowledge of the renters knowing their stuff WILL get sold at auction because of the TV shows, and probably a slight improving in the general economy.

In my opinion, for what it's worth to anyone reading this, the next year or so (maybe 18 months) will see a drastic drop-off in any interest in things storage auction related.  I think the trend is definitely down...but fortunately there are other ways to make money.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 07:47:49 AM »
In my opinion, for what it's worth to anyone reading this, the next year or so (maybe 18 months) will see a drastic drop-off in any interest in things storage auction related.  I think the trend is definitely down...but fortunately there are other ways to make money.

If interest in storage auctions is slowing, why would we be looking for other ways to make money? Wouldn't it be time to get back into it since there will be fewer people in attendance?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 07:56:21 AM »
If interest in storage auctions is slowing, why would we be looking for other ways to make money? Wouldn't it be time to get back into it since there will be fewer people in attendance?

That's one way to look at it. But, I think Cobia is a pretty good example of what is happening at least right now. And I parallel his experience.

When I look at his eBay listings it's pretty easy for me to tell that the bulk of his listings are NOT from a storage locker.

My personal experience (and that of a half dozen others here) shows people pulling away from buying lockers. Maybe some of the regulars will drift back in (and out) but once someone has started a physical store with a lot of overhead they want to maximize their effort and at least in my area, the quality of the lockers doesn't provide them with enough goods to do that, so they are looking elsewhere for stock.

It may be an area by area thing too.  A big metro area like Dallas/Ft. Worth, Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, etc may have better lockers, but those areas make up a very small part of 50 states full of empty land and few lockers.

Has anyone noticed how we seldom if ever hear from a lot of the plains states, some of the southern states about anything going on in the storage auction business?  Maybe there just isn't much going on there.

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »

it really depends Travis
ill wind up back at the auctions and will be a buyer again, but it will be because i miss going through peoples stuff more than i want the money and the work involved
with the various forms of picking im doing i run across less trash , have more free time and am not forced to sell things i dont want to be bothered with
I havent been clipped in the head with a bedframe that some asshat left on top of the mattresses against the wall.I havent wound up with couches with rat pee on them or opening boxes to find loads of mousecrap. I havent made a dump run in 2 years. And im generall more cheerful and making close to the same money I was with the auctions while putting in a bit more time but a lot less effort
next step from the picking for me is looking for things i can list once and sell over and over again instead of having to list everything individually on ebay and craigslist

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
I echo everything sanford said in his reply #18 !  ;D

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
I've been responding here and there where I feel like I can add a value statement. Truth be told, I've been busy building a website for a high end client. Finally done with the meat of that. The auctions here have been duds. Seems like people are more careful about what they put into their storage since the shows. Another way the shows have killed this business.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 07:47:24 PM »
Seems like people are more careful about what they put into their storage since the shows. Another way the shows have killed this business.

I agree.  Also, by the looks of some units, people are grabbing good stuff out before they loose them.
Or with the shows, before they loose them, they think hey, is there anything I can't sell in there.....

I also heard a rumor.....
This came from a guy I don't know so take it or leave it. 

A major facility in the area stopped holding auctions.  They donate it all to charity.  Charity cleans out unit.
Facility simply sells debt to collections.
He said the manger told him that the corporate bean counters found they'll do better taking the tax write offs than what they recover in debts thru auctions.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »

I also heard a rumor.....
This came from a guy I don't know so take it or leave it. 

A major facility in the area stopped holding auctions.  They donate it all to charity.  Charity cleans out unit.
He said the manger told him that the corporate bean counters found they'll do better taking the tax write offs than what they recover in debts.

If true it's just one more blow to the business and from the facility standpoint it might make sense...no good for auction buyers though.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:20 PM »
He said the manger told him that the corporate bean counters found they'll do better taking the tax write offs than what they recover in debts.

That could be illegal depending on what state your in. Not like it matters though, nobody is enforcing lien laws.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
Not like it matters though, nobody is enforcing lien laws.

Nope, it's not like it was drugs, guns, banking fraud, child/senior abuse, job discrimination...all of which (and more) affect more people than storage auctions do.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »
That could be illegal depending on what state your in. Not like it matters though, nobody is enforcing lien laws.

Can't speak for other states but I think (and just guessing here) it would fit with WA laws.  In fact I've never seen any state that has laws requiring facilities to try and sell items, only that if they do they have to post a public notice first.  I'm guessing it would be something like residential rentals?  As long as they hold goods for 30-60-90 days then they are allowed to dispose of.  Dump. Donate.

It must be true to some extent because I've called facilities in the past and have been told they don't hold auctions.  I don't know what they do......or they were just blowing me off.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »
It all depends on how the state's lien laws are written. Some require a lien sale, while others allow the facility to dispose of the unit however they wish. Some states don't even have lien laws. I'm planning on analyzing all the lien laws in the U.S. and creating an infographic which compares auction requirements. Would have done it sooner, but I just haven't had any free time to take on a project like that. 

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »
I've been a lurker and not a poster the last month or so, and for that I apologize.  I've seen a lot of junk the last 4 months but have continued to by when the timing and price is right.  The past two weeks I purchased three 5x10's, one 10x15, and one 6x15.  I've been pretty busy sorting, reaching, and doing donation runs.  My double garage looks like a bomb went off in there, but it's organized chaos, right?  Two of the units are turning out to be better than average, and one is going to be great.  Found two Pfaff German sewing machines and a shoebox that contained 3 handguns!  I was extremely excited, but it did take me 100 units to finally find a handgun.

I've been extremely skeptical of online storage auctions, but gave in and bought my first one for $220.  I called and spoke with the owner of the facility before I bid and after talking with him for about ten minutes I felt comfortable enough to throw in a bid.  Current bid was $210 and I sniped it with 20 seconds left for $220.  My max bid would have been $252.  With buyers premium and tax I'll be into it for about $260 or so.  I'll be unloading it tomorrow, so I'll keep you guys posted on the experience.  It's a 5x10 and it's definitely an old woman's unit, so I'm excited.     

xx
GoogleTrends analysis of interest in the term "Online Storage Auctions"

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:06:27 AM
by MovieMan
xx
More good storys "Fake Storage Wars loses its luster"

Started by bwd111

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
Facebook Page for "Official" Storage Wars New York Fans

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 01:31:09 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Did ebay recently change the "best match" search algorithm?

Started by rulesforrebels

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 02:48:46 PM
by rulesforrebels