Storage Auctions

Hello from Baltimore

Offline Dan

Hello from Baltimore
« on: January 28, 2011, 07:54:28 PM »
Hello Everyone, nice to meet you.  I'm Dan, 25 years old, born and raised in Baltimore.  I work full time in real estate but I was turned on to storage auctions by the TV show.  I've only been to one so far, and didn't buy, but I already feel like I'm addicted. 

I was so happy to find this site, somewhere that I can bounce questions off people that hopefully have a much greater knowledge than I do.  I look forward to getting to know all of you.  Good luck to all and happy bidding!

Re: Hello from Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
Welcome!

And whatever you want to ask just ask.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »
Hey welcome to the forums!! Good Luck out there!

Offline Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
Thanks guys!  I have tons of questions, but here's one for starters...

Right now I work 40 hours a week.  I'd like to get into this business slowly, and hopefully overtime shift more toward being able to work for myself.  My question is, is it even feasible for me to try to do this while working 40 hour weeks?  Most of the auctions around here are during business hours, and it makes it almost impossible for me to be at auctions, let alone get the stuff out in 24 hours.  Would it be a bad idea to rent a unit for a month, list stuff on CL, and have buyer's meet me right at the unit site?  Any general thoughts or tips would be appreciated.  I plan on being around often and picking your brains!

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »
Hey Dan,

It is possible to start part time aside from a fulltime job. I do it! But you kind of need a semi flexable schedule at your full time job to get to a few auctions as most are during the week, but there are more and more popping up on Saturdays. Do you have any storage space? garage? Maybe only rent a unit if you sign up for a 1st month free special or something like that and make sure to be out before you have to pay. You want as little overhead possible!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
Welcome Dan....you'll find a lot of info here just by exploring the posts in several of the forums. Many of your questions might already have been answered.

Offline Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
I've got about 300 sq ft storage in my basement, and the same in my attic.  Both are easily accessible, but larger items (dressers, sofas, etc) will not get up in my attic.  The auction I attended, it seemed like the bigger furniture went cheapest, just because nobody wanted to move it.  That's the only reason I asked about renting a 1 month special.  If I can get a 10x10 with a nice couch, love seat, and chair, a 4x6 chest freezer, and loads of boxes for $80 (that's what it went for) I figure I HAVE to buy that unit and find a way to store/sell the goods.  Curiously, all the smaller lockers that looked like junk went for just as much or more.  I'm willing to work hard/think outside the box to make this work...

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »
I've got about 300 sq ft storage in my basement, and the same in my attic.  Both are easily accessible, but larger items (dressers, sofas, etc) will not get up in my attic.  The auction I attended, it seemed like the bigger furniture went cheapest, just because nobody wanted to move it.  That's the only reason I asked about renting a 1 month special.  If I can get a 10x10 with a nice couch, love seat, and chair, a 4x6 chest freezer, and loads of boxes for $80 (that's what it went for) I figure I HAVE to buy that unit and find a way to store/sell the goods.  Curiously, all the smaller lockers that looked like junk went for just as much or more.  I'm willing to work hard/think outside the box to make this work...

Everything you said here makes sense....especially the part about working hard and thinking outside the box...the latter is the hardest part.