Storage Auctions

Looking to make some $$$$$$ in the Atl...

Looking to make some $$$$$$ in the Atl...
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
Whats up everyone. I just found the forums and appreciate all the info you have shared. I will be making my rounds in the Atl and looking foward to sharing my adventures with everyone here. Peace out.

Re: Looking to make some $$$$$$ in the Atl...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
I too am in the atl area...welcome

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
Welcome and enjoy!

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:43 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

ATL is a very competitive area, good luck and bid smart.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »
Yep - there are a ton of us GA boys (and Gals if any lurking) here on these boards.  Even Drew is from Atlanta.  Thing about the place is it's so big there are always auctions going on if you are willing to drive.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »
Are any of you going to the auction on the 24th with 40 plus units up for auction? I think its off of howell mill rd.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:15:09 AM »
Are any of you going to the auction on the 24th with 40 plus units up for auction? I think its off of howell mill rd.

I wish we had a facility with that many units!!! But on the other hand attendance is going through the roof and ull need a deep deep deep pocket a few thousand atleast to be safe

Over 40 units is a dream. But also a buyers worst nightmare. Hope all is good for you and good luck

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:34:31 AM »
I wish we had a facility with that many units!!! But on the other hand attendance is going through the roof and ull need a deep deep deep pocket a few thousand atleast to be safe

Over 40 units is a dream. But also a buyers worst nightmare. Hope all is good for you and good luck

I don't want an auction with a listing of 40+ units. The last one that had that many units, they listed 60, had 200 people show up! I only have around 20-25 regulars max in my metro area so thats a lot of newbies and one-timers, and just like I thought, 90% of the units were won by newbies. The auctioneer for that auction is also known for "staging" units, sending an employee inside the units and calling out the stuff they see, and having a couple of people mixed in to "bid up" the units.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:39:28 AM »
I don't want an auction with a listing of 40+ units. The last one that had that many units, they listed 60, had 200 people show up! I only have around 20-25 regulars max in my metro area so thats a lot of newbies and one-timers, and just like I thought, 90% of the units were won by newbies. The auctioneer for that auction is also known for "staging" units, sending an employee inside the units and calling out the stuff they see, and having a couple of people mixed in to "bid up" the units.

Hence why I said also a worst nightmare lol

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:32:05 PM »
... The auctioneer for that auction is also known for "staging" units, sending an employee inside the units and calling out the stuff they see, and having a couple of people mixed in to "bid up" the units.

Is that legal? I thought you had to stay outside always. Is this a legal thing, or are these rules more or less set by the auction company?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
It's legal in my state, in other states it could be illegal.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
It all depends on state laws.  Many states the tenant has until the end of the stated auction and money has transfered hands to pay-up on the unit.  Some states the units don't even have to go up for auction.  The storage facility "owns" the contents of the unit and may re-coup cost by selling the goods in the unit.

Then there is also just the general practice each facility does, regardless of the law.  Only a few companies ever get busted for breaking the law.  Those are just the ones that get caught.  Flip side - those are the ones that also make the entire industry look bad and buyers to be suspecious of.

xx
My 2nd unit, can i make it two in a row?

Started by DamnthisisFun

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 08:15:24 PM
by DamnthisisFun
xx
Can you really make money doing this?

Started by Sonix42

14 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 08:36:59 AM
by auctionguy
xx
The letter S can make a difference