Storage Auctions

Rookie out of NW Illinois

Rookie out of NW Illinois
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:25:20 AM »
Hello all,

This is a pretty cool forum!! Kudos, to the person responsible for creating it.  ;)  I have actually had an interest in collecting, what some would call "JUNK" since childhood. My Step Father was a collector. His focus was more on old bicycles, and old jars and bottles. He owned his own plumbing company in Chicago, where I grew up. We would find lots of old jars and glass milk bottles from like early 1900's while digging up different yards and streets to run new water or sewer lines. That's how I got started. My collection is very small. Due to not having space for ANYTHING extra. When my first daughter was born, my Wife and I decided to move away from Chicago. We still live in Illinois. Were just closer to Iowa than Chicago!! I got this job delivering pizza's. Which was supposed to be temporary until I could find a descent plumbing job in town. Well here I am almost a year later, and still slinging pies!! I actually enjoy delivering pizza's. And the income end isn't as bad as I originally figured it would be. But, my inner "JUNK" collector wants out!! Maybe it's all the shows that are on: Storage wars, Pawn stars, American pickers, Auction hunters. Maybe, It's that my Wife was recently saying that she was wanting to have her own store to take care of and run!! I started thinking this storage auction thing might be something that I could eventually move to full time doing. I have yet to even attend a storage auction. I may be going this Saturday if things are just right (time & money). Like I said, I have always been a collector, but I never really ventured out to try and actually find these items. This is all new to me, but I feel like nothing is going to stop me from giving 110% my all to make sure that our merchandise is constantly moving, and profit is being made!! I will constantly keep trying to make my inventory ASAP (AS Small As Possible). Yet continuously buy as much junk as I can handle!!! It is what you make of it. When the TV shows are long over with most people will disappear from these auctions and dismiss them as a waste of money. Due to the fact that those who are either doing this for a living or as just a hobby are the only ones who will benefit from it in the long run. Those who are there because they saw Barry Weiss buy a storage unit for $50 and find $20,000 worth of treasure in it, won't stick, because they realize there is no treasure, without a treasure HUNT!!!! 
I'm gonna be in it for the ups and downs, and downs, and downs... LOL   ;D
Anyway, thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Wish me luck!!!
FreeBird.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Rookie out of NW Illinois
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum Freebird and good luck in your new interest in lkr buys.

But, as many others will tell you, DON'T GIVE UP YOUR JOB YET !

I imagine with your schedule you can do both. Give the auctions a try for 6 months or more and see what happens.

A couple of months ago a person in Florida was all gung ho and he bought a good lkr he told us about. Haven't heard from him since; maybe he's to busy rolling in profit.

A mom on a mission said the same thing. Haven't heard boo since.

Enthusiasm is a funny thing; it is tempered by disappointment and emboldened by success. May you have the latter.  ;D

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
Welcome and Good Luck!

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:39:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum Freebird and good luck in your new interest in lkr buys.

But, as many others will tell you, DON'T GIVE UP YOUR JOB YET !

I imagine with your schedule you can do both. Give the auctions a try for 6 months or more and see what happens.

A couple of months ago a person in Florida was all gung ho and he bought a good lkr he told us about. Haven't heard from him since; maybe he's to busy rolling in profit.

A mom on a mission said the same thing. Haven't heard boo since.

Enthusiasm is a funny thing; it is tempered by disappointment and emboldened by success. May you have the latter.  ;D

Enthusiastic? Yes!
Stupid? No!

Even with success I will not quit my present job until every penny earned from it is absolutely no longer needed!! I would have to be making double what I'm making now with that income alone, separate from the delivery job in order for me to leave. Thank You for the warm welcome.

Perhaps others who you do not hear from assumed quick riches, but I know the deal. I'm going in with an absolutely obvious certainty that it is ONLY a hobby right now. Yet, it is a hobby that if able to pay the right prices for certain units, a definite profit can be made!! Then it could be a possible full time gig. All depends on circumstances!!

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »
welcome aboard!

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »
Good luck! I'm new too and one thing I learned pretty quick is that the local "competition" doesnt seem to care for new people.  There are alot of helpful people on this board though that have helped me alot.

xx
New from Illinois

Started by rogue

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 03:39:50 PM
by rogue
xx
Hello from Illinois!

Started by Roadvirus

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 10:00:33 PM
by Roadvirus