Storage Auctions

Mike Braiotta From Storage Wars New York

Mike Braiotta From Storage Wars New York
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »
I'm here to talk about the auction game. Any questions you guys might have fire away. Be nice and I will answer just about anything. First off I am a regular auction buyer just like anybody else. I have been doing this for a long time. I'm a typical New Yorker with the mentality that if you treat me right I will do the same in return. Even tho I have been doing auctions for what seems like a lifetime I still learn new things everyday.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Mike From Storage Wars NY
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »
So what's up with the new clothing line? Was that something you wanted to do or did someone approach you with the idea? Pretty cool graphics by the way.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:13:28 PM »
I know the comparisons are going to start about me and you know who from LA. Operation LockDown my partner Matty Temple and I started way before I knew that I was going to be on the show.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:15:15 PM »
Hey Mike!

I have a question. Are Candy and Courtney real buyers? I mean, were they buying storage units before the show or were they just cast as eye candy?

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
They are deff real auction buyers. I wouldn't say they are as seasoned as myself or Joe P but they know what they are looking for. I'm not sure how long they have been in the game for. They do pretty good when it comes to their vintage pop up sales.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
I know the comparisons are going to start about me and you know who from LA. Operation LockDown my partner Matty Temple and I started way before I knew that I was going to be on the show.

You know, I don't think you're going to get compared to any of the other SW cast members. We can tell you know what you're doing. Can't say that about everyone on SW but we won't go into that. That really sucks that you lost your store, hopefully you had insurance to cover everything.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »
Na man I couldn't get insurance for inventory because there is no real set price per item. All I was able to get was liability so no insurance to cover my merch.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »
Ouch. Well, that's the good thing about this business....4 units later and your garage is full again. So what type of merchandise do you focus on? I personally like nice furniture & appliance units...things that are easy to value and sell quickly.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »
I am all about things I can sell quick. Furniture is a tough one for me. Takes up a lot of room and unless its a piece that's a little out of the ordinary I end up getting stuck with it for way to long.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
So how did you get into the business? Did you have a mentor or just the school of hard knocks?

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
My uncle took me to my first auction when I was about 9 years old. He would take me to garage sales and flea markets all the time. Back then he was a glorified junk man but he sure did know his stuff. Buy low sell high.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
The forum got a sharp increase in traffic just shortly after you made your first post the other night...most traffic we have ever seen at one time. We couldn't figure out whether it was related but who knows.

I don't know where the heck everyone is tonight. Plenty of guests but the regulars are MIA. Is Auction Hunters on or something? Kidding  ;)

Give this thread 48 hours and you'll have some many questions to answer you'll have to hire a publicist.   

So, after the first episode aired, did you have to change your phone number to stop all of the ex-girlfriends from calling? LOL

You're married and you have kids right?

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »
Nothing crazy like any Ex's calling but unsure as hell got a ton of Facebook friend requests from people I haven't spoke to in years. All of a sudden they want to be my friend? Come on now... Like I said I'm a normal dude just like everybody else and I'm more than happy to talk to anybody. Just don't want any trolls/spammers screwing with me and I will be more than happy to keep on posting.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 09:41:40 PM »
Just don't want any trolls/spammers screwing with me and I will be more than happy to keep on posting.

You won't get that here. I keep all the trolls locked in the dungeon.  ;D

So when they started the casting in NY, did they seek you out or did you'll answer a casting call? What was you're reaction when you found out you made the cut?

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 09:45:11 PM »
They reached out to me. I was running adds on Craigslist about buying contents of people's home for my store when I got the call. They asked if I did storage auctions and I was like "yea 95% of my shop is from auctions". One thing led to another and here I am.

xx
Facebook Page for Storage Wars New York Michael (Mike)

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 01:29:04 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Mike Braiotta has a heart of gold.

Started by Travis

19 Replies
Last post January 26, 2013, 03:42:37 PM
by Nystorageking
xx
Mike Braiotta Interview on Sparefoot Blog