Storage Auctions

Best way to get a large quantity of product?

Best way to get a large quantity of product?
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:35:25 PM »
Hello.

After my first two experiences as a vendor at the flea market, I've decided I definitely need more product. I did well ($80 first time, $150 second time) but both times I ran low on product and didn't have enough to go back the next weekend or even the weekend after. Since I'm 18 and living with my parents while I'm at school, it's difficult for me to have a large amount of inventory since I don't have much storage space. I can't exactly cycle through inventory. Anyway, I've been asking everyone I can if they would be willing to donate random junk they just want hauled off, but most of the time they just say "yea, we'll call you when we find something" but it doesn't happen. Since I reinvested my profits from the flea market into more product, all I have is about $150. Not nearly enough for storage auctions. Any tips/suggestions?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Best way to get a large quantity of product?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:43:09 AM »
Go to the Craigslist page for your area in the free section you'll find people giving away lots of stuff, if you're willing to pick it up.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 04:27:43 AM »
This is what we did.

http://storageauctionforums.com//index.php/topic,2313.0.html

Striking out on the Storage Auctions too. Plus we are inventory rich on large items. But needed the smalls like you for the Flea. We have plenty of Clothes. LOL

We skipped the Flea this weekend it is freezing in Florida.  :'(

But will be heading out next weekend.

Good luck.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
Keep an eye out (on craigslist) for somebody selling yard sale leftovers.  I've never actually done this, but have been tempted often.  Of course that was before we landed our first storage units.  Now......I've got inventory.  Although not enough to warrant a trip to the flea, so I've been using ebay as a major selling tool.

Yesterday morning I went to the swap meet as a buyer.  I'm now learning what sells on ebay and making some decent money that way.  Might be a thing for you to check in to, as you don't need a ton of storage space or capital.....just a couple nice pieces and lots of research~

Heya Money~freezing in Florida???  I thought there was this global warming thing~ 8)
Good deal on the auction house thing.  We've been pondering it.  Will have to check it out in the very near future~

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »
Heya Money~freezing in Florida???  I thought there was this global warming thing~ 8)
Good deal on the auction house thing.  We've been pondering it.  Will have to check it out in the very near future~

Global warming !!!! Think it is just shifting.. Was 45 all day. Suppose to be in the 20's. Don't think I will be out much tomorrow.  :P

Posted a pick of what we got, we could have done better if we got there for a good preview. the prices were unbelievably low.  If you find one and it offers a printer friendly lot list print it.  ;)

Shoompy  you could also post an add yourself that you will pick up left over yard sale stuff. Post before people or after ???? post their Yard sales.  See adds like that all the time and in my previous life I would have called some one to come get it.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
This weekend in NC it was windy and cold (in the 30's and 40's with windchill) and I still made $150. I guess I was just lucky.

Anyway, thanks so much for the suggestions. Especially the yard sale leftovers.

Unfortunately, since there are around 4 or 5 flea markets within 30-40 minute drive, we don't really have swap meets around here. I still went to the flea market for a few weeks just to scope out prices and such.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:29:40 PM »
I didn't mention our wind chill. {{{BRRRRRRR}}}} And we don't have the proper attire. Flip flops, shorts and tanks.  ;)

Glad you did well. We are heading out next weekend. Should be warmer.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:59 PM »
Haha, yea. I was wearing 4 layers and the wind still sent me into a retreat. Good luck to you!

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:48:51 AM »
Unfortunately, since there are around 4 or 5 flea markets within 30-40 minute drive, we don't really have swap meets around here. I still went to the flea market for a few weeks just to scope out prices and such.

Swap meets and flea markets are the same thing I believe, just different names for different regions.  I try to call them flea markets on this site, but when I talk to any locals~it's always the swap meet.  That's why you'll see me throwing out both words.

Kinda funny how certain areas call things differently~here in Southern AZ we never buy 'lockers', but instead buy 'units'.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
Here in Fl. the different names have to do with the zoning. Thrift owner trying to do a Flea market on a vacant piece of land. (our idea, but she rents from the owner  :-\ ). Anyway it has to be called a swap meet. The thrift owners husband was confused too.  I laughed said it is location, Swap Meet = Flea market. Said we might do better as a swap meet (Yankees here all winter  :D ).

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:51:43 AM »
Swap meets and flea markets are the same thing I believe, just different names for different regions.  I try to call them flea markets on this site, but when I talk to any locals~it's always the swap meet.  That's why you'll see me throwing out both words.

Kinda funny how certain areas call things differently~here in Southern AZ we never buy 'lockers', but instead buy 'units'.

Yep, when i lived in Florida it was called the "swap meet" in Tennessee & Georgia its the "flea market".

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »
Swap meets and flea markets are the same thing I believe, just different names for different regions. 

Haha, good to know! Thanks.

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »
Haha, good to know! Thanks.

Yeah  it is no different than pop or soda.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 01:34:26 AM »
been doing swap meets and usually turns out I don't have the bigger car  :o

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »
  A few years ago someone tried to re-create " The Old Norton Flea Market " in a Gillette Stadium        ( home of the New England Patriot's ) parking lot , Advertising   FREE ADMISSION to ALL .
 We raced over the first Sunday to check it out as a venue to sell at and get in on the ground floor .
    We pulled and and stared past the Toll Booth at rows of vendors with NO ONE in front of them. or walking around either ??? ( THe Flea only lasted a couple of weeks )
  They were charging $ 15. to park , We made a U like everyone else .
At least it was cheaper then the $ 60 charge for a football game .

xx
Your Favorite Non-Storage Source For Product?

Started by MatchesMalone

16 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 09:53:05 PM
by Alias
xx
Any eBay sellers looking for a hot selling product?

Started by rulesforrebels

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2015, 09:29:36 AM
by alloro
xx
Company decides to stop selling product it was making 2 BILLION a year on

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post March 16, 2014, 09:20:22 AM
by Charli
xx
Has anyone gotten gold coins (or gold in general) in quantity ?

Started by MovieMan

5 Replies
Last post December 23, 2013, 08:03:08 PM
by auctionguy