Storage Auctions

Clothes with Security tags

Clothes with Security tags
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
Hi all,
 I went to my first auction on the 11th, and didn't like the way it was run. It was a silent auction where they gave you a paper with all of the units listed, they walked us around to each unit and cut the locks off. At the end you had to write a bid down for each unit, put it in an envelope and seal it. They then send these sealed bids to corporate and you wait to hear if you won. We bid $10 on a junky little 10x10 and got it. I will post pics as soon as I can.
Now on to the real question. this locker has a lot of brand new clothes in it, many of them still have tags. Some of them have the security tag on them as well. So now I need to figure out how to remove these tags without ruining the clothes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I did search the threads with no luck.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Clothes with Security tags
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
. Some of them have the security tag on them as well. So now I need to figure out how to remove these tags without ruining the clothes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I did search the threads with no luck.

You can buy devices on the internet (maybe eBay even) to remove those security tags. Google research should turn them up.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »
Security tags are a tough one. There are so many different kinds and they all require a different devise to remove them. I worked in retail for alot of years and have seen many different tags. Post a pic or description and maybe I can help.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »
At the end you had to write a bid down for each unit, put it in an envelope and seal it. They then send these sealed bids to corporate and you wait to hear if you won.

I would never bid on an "auction" that way. You have no way of knowing if anything was tampered with after you submit your bid and leave the property. When I win a unit my lock goes on right away, so that I know it hasn't been touched.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
I agree alloro, and I most likely will Not be going back because I thought it was very shady. Plus a big part of this is the auction and it was boring this way IMO.  The nice thing about this was I guess a lot of people don't like the method and so there were only about 5 bidders for 3 units. once I get pics I will put them up. thanks

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:11:42 PM »
You got a 10x10 with a bunch of new (stolen) clothes and your complaining about the auction method? I get it not being exciting but are you in it to make $$ or excitement?

You can buy tag removers on eBay. You could also take them 1 at a time to different stores and gave them removed. You can also remove most with home tools without damaging the clothes - would depend on which ones you are dealing with...

Sam

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »
u dont like the sealed bid auctions or specifically how this facility ran it? personally these are my favorite types of auctions people dont get caught up in the competion of bidding and run prices up higher than necessary. i know some say maybe you pay over what you coulda got it for in the other format but i know whats a good price for me so if i bid it im gonna make the money i want

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
Well as it turns out this method did work out for us, we are currently at about $600 in profit. I managed to freeze all of the ink packs and safely remove them with a hacksaw. The part i didn't like was that you bid and then go home and wait for 10-14 days while the storage facility people have access to the unit. I thought that was kinda shady. But I guess since it all worked out and didn't seem as if they messed with anything, I will probably go back.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 11:55:19 PM »
I know it's a little late but here is another tip for removing the tags. Apply a flame to the raised portion of the tag, they will catch on fire so make sure you wear gloves. It will smell like crap and emit black smoke but after about 30 seconds, you can pull the pin out.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »
Apply a flame to the raised portion of the tag, they will catch on fire so make sure you wear gloves.

Good idea, but I suggest a heat gun instead of a flame. You will get the heat but without the burn.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »
I would not touch any thing with security tags still on it.

I got arrested 20 years ago when i sold property from a unit that was unknown to me to be stolen property.

If you do get the tags off GET rid of them where they will never be found. they have the store and  store number coded on them.
Just having a number of those security tags and no reason to have them will be cause for the cops to arrest you..

Likely the person that had the unit got arrested and is in jail and was unable to pay his/her rent on the unit.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »

I got arrested 20 years ago when i sold property from a unit that was unknown to me to be stolen property.

Would be interested in he details/facts of this.

Maybe new topic of wht happened?   How did you get caught?  What were the items?  You get off?  If so, how?  You able to keep any of the contents?

I find it funny that if I buy a unit of stolen good I'm in possession of stolen goods even tho I paid or them in good faith.  I sell, that's trafficking stolen goods....another crime.

BUT!  Police take those goods, don't return them to owner but SELL them.  Legally.  THEY can sell stolen goods but I can't?   I bought in good faith so after investigation I hold get them back if not rightl owner!

And if I sell stolen goods, the person buying is now in possession of stole goods.
Police sell stolen goods......suddenly they aren't stolen goods anymore!  WTF?!

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »
you can buy the tag removers on the net like others have said but that probably cuts into most if not all of your profit unless you deal in clothes in which case it may be nice having one of those around. if you have any buddies who work in retail see if they can remove it for you although there's so many diff types of things i doubt the store they happen to work at happens to use the same device on your tag

xx
Locking ID Tags

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2014, 09:20:06 AM
by Travis
xx
New Clothing With Tags ?

Started by MovieMan

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 10:17:38 AM
by Alias300
xx
Storage Battles Makes Huge Security Blunder

Started by luke

16 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 10:55:04 PM
by Markgrogan
xx
Hundreds of airline passengers stopped at security...CARRYING GUNS !

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 11:13:48 AM
by Alias300