Storage Auctions

Confessions of a Newbie

Confessions of a Newbie
« on: November 25, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »
I have been at this for a couple of months and if I had one bit of advice it would this.
It's not about buying but about selling.
I love buying things and that is my biggest weakness as a storage auction buyer.

My little two cents to brand new buyers.
Sell everything that you can.  Look in your house, garage, and office for items that you can sell on Craigslist and sell it.
You will need to learn the ins and outs of selling on Craigslist.  There are some good guides out there and on this very forum.  I recommend
recraigslist(dot)com/
and
http://storageauctionforums.com/craigslist/

Then find all the small items and sell them at a garage sale.  Again there are some great guides out there on how to do this. 
Then use that money to finance your first auction.  When you see a locker you want think about how to sell those items not just their value.  On Storage Wars it seems so easy to go get things appraised.  It is not that easy.
Anyway good luck selling and buying :)

Re: Confessions of a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
What storage wars and the other shows don't tell you is that it costs money to get things appraised, in most cases. The way I like to appraise things is to make friends with local auctioneers. Maybe list a few items in their auctions to get the business relationship going. This way, when you get something needing an appraisal, you can always ask their opinion. Some items that you get an opinion on, you may want to list in an auction anyway..

I think, however, there is enough information online to get enough of an idea to put a price on things. In my shop, I have a big sign that says "We Welcome All Offers" because I know that I may be shooting the moon on some items. If someone has more knowledge than me, and can educate me on an item or genre, I may just accept their offer!

A good example of this is the book "The Little Prince". I have a first edition copy with mistranslations. The book was originally written in French and translated to English with errors. I have one of these priced at $100. However someone came into the shop who is a book guy. He said that while yes, this is a first edition with mistranslations, the books that are worth much more have a different color cover. Mine is a cream, the salmon covers go for much more. He pulled out his iPad and showed me examples. He said that my book, in fair condition brings $40. My book he said was better than that. So he offered me $60 and I took it.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »
Eh, I got the book for free in a box of books that were sitting outside my door before I opened.. I priced at $100 expecting to take $75ish.. A quick $60 in my pocket seemed better than holding out for the extra $15.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:29:34 PM »
I would have taken the $60 also. There are so many times we are depend on the knowledge of others. Seems like each thing we sell is a learning experience.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Interesting side note on the online auction.
I got an email from Storage Battles today about putting my great storage buy on their Facebook site.  It was a nice email but I told them Thanks but I want to stay under the radar.  The funny thing is how they knew.  They only place I posted any links to pics was this thread.  Also, though I still think it was a great buy I have yet to sell anything.  This unit will take a little time and research. 

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »
Interesting side note on the online auction.
I got an email from Storage Battles today about putting my great storage buy on their Facebook site.  It was a nice email but I told them Thanks but I want to stay under the radar.  The funny thing is how they knew.  They only place I posted any links to pics was this thread.  Also, though I still think it was a great buy I have yet to sell anything.  This unit will take a little time and research.

I'm sure they keep up with what we're saying here...or at least the Online Storage Auctions category.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Pics on online sucks! They show you want they think is the gems in the unit and 90% OF THE TIME THE PHOTOS sucks.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 09:41:34 PM »
Pics on online sucks! They show you want they think is the gems in the unit and 90% OF THE TIME THE PHOTOS sucks.

I wouldn't say 90%, but there are definitely some photos that look like they were taken by someone who has never used a camera before. In all fairness though, it's tough to take a good picture of the inside of a storage unit. You have to use a flash and you need to take photos from several angles. Zoom in...zoom out, up high...down low. Heck, I've even thought about closing the storage door, while I was inside the unit, just to get the light right.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 08:07:33 AM »
Some online pics suck, but I have noticed that the storage facilities that take their time and take good pics, it always works out in their benefit. There is a place in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that takes great pics so you can zoom in and different angles on all their units and they seem to get the best bids.  Some end up boing outrageous but thats another thread.

Offline eBID

• The best way to predict the future is to build it.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »
I just thought up a killer feature for the online auction sites.  You hover over the picture and that small circle gets "brightened" in the magnifier view.  It's the "Flashlight".

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
Great tips. I wouldn't think to begin by selling my own stuff. I am not too familiar with craigslist so I will give it a go. I worry about the scammy and fishy people out there though.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »
I worry about the scammy and fishy people out there though.

If you only do business in cash and in person, that will eliminate 99% of the scams out there.

If you're going to do business out of your home, make sure someone else is home when meeting customers. If someone else can't be there, just meet your customer at a public place.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 12:46:58 PM »
If you only do business in cash and in person, that will eliminate 99% of the scams out there.

If you're going to do business out of your home, make sure someone else is home when meeting customers. If someone else can't be there, just meet your customer at a public place.

I guess this is true. A friend's neighbor was buying a car from someone off craigslist and she was held at gun point and the man took her purse and her car. The car he was showing wasn't even his. Not sure if he was ever caught but it makes me wonder about it all.

JasonAK

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

Well yes if you do business on the spot then you can avoid a lot of problems.

AuctionBaller

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:07:58 AM »
I have just recently bought my first locker for 800$. It had a piano, drum set, speakers, furniture in it and a bunch of empty boxes which I thought were full of treasure. I am still trying to recoup my money invested in this locker. I got 100$ for the speakers and 150$ for the furniture. I never knew it was so hard to sell a piano and drum set. This is very discouraging to me because it was my first locker I had ever won and now I'm in the minus for 600$. :41:  Does anyone know of any websites that I can sell items on for free when I win an auction? I'm struggling help!!

xx
Another Newbie

Started by jeannine

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 10:58:51 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
Another newbie

Started by mhuynh9

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 03:30:01 PM
by bwd111