Storage Auctions

Do all facilities have auctions?

« on: September 04, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
I live in Memhpis, TN and I'm fairly new to storage auctions. Do all storage facilities (national chains and independents)  have auctions? Are they required to do so by law or can they do as they please with abandoned lockers?  :-\

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Do all facilities have auctions?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:14:53 PM »
As far as I know all storage facilities have auctions. Although I have called one facilitie that maintains they do not do auctions, but 2 months later I saw on my subscription that they indeed were going to have one.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »
I think the large majority have auctions.We have one that just garage sales the stuff out of the unit.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »
Jroojr 79; you have a subscription to what?  I use Storage Treaures, Auction Zip and the chain websites, Uhaul, Ustore, Public. Any others you can suggest?

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
Jroojr 79; you have a subscription to what?  I use Storage Treaures, Auction Zip and the chain websites, Uhaul, Ustore, Public. Any others you can suggest?

I use Auction Zip, Auctioneers Websites, chains, and then I use a local subscription. Storage Treasures I dont currently use as a subscription only because they dont list all the auctions, or even remotely close to it. To me I use it for the forums and the database of storage facilities for me to call.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »
All facilities are required by law to sell the items repossessed from a back-rent locker at a "public sale" -  this is not always an auction but it is 99.9 percent of the time.   

Most of the larger facilities / chains (Public Storage, Safeguard, The Storage Center, etc etc etc) have them once a month.   If they are having auctions more than once a month, something VERY fishy is going on --  the # of days they have to allow a tenant to pay along with the # of days they have to advertise the auction usually ends up being between 20-30 days.  Some of the smaller locations will wait to have an auction until they have enough units to make it worth their while.  It's not uncommon to see places that only have 2 or 3 auctions a year.

Hope that helped!

Rebecca
http://storageheroes.blogspot.com

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
About 15% of all storage facilities do not have auctions. I have statistical data to support this figure.

Some facilities will tell the tenant to just get their stuff out and will waive the back rent and late fees.

Some facilities give the stuff away.

Some facilities take the contents to the dump.

Some facilities have garage sales.

Some facilities don't have auctions because, believe it or not, they have had perfect payment histories for many years.

xx

Started by Southern Yankee

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 11:13:25 PM
by KGA
xx
How Much Do Storage Facilities Recover At Auctions

Started by MovieMan

3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2014, 08:14:37 PM
by auctionguy
xx
Do storage facilities in your area list their auctions on Craigslist?

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 10:12:26 AM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
Storage Facilities Holding Online Auctions Under Massachusetts Law?

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 10:21:13 PM
by Travis