Storage Auctions

First auction tomorrow-Do I have everything?

First auction tomorrow-Do I have everything?
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm Deric, in upstate NY.

I'm attending my first storage auction tomorrow, and while I'm expecting to just watch, I want to make sure I'm prepared just in case something comes up I'm interested in.

I have:
Flashlight (only 120 lumens for now.)
Locks with keys
Gloves
Broom
Cash
Trash bags

What else would you recommend?  Plastic bins to help carry loose items?
Thanks for taking a look,
-Deric

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: First auction tomorrow-Do I have everything?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
Do you also have:

Vehicle in which to load the stuff.

Map to the dump.

Cash for gasoline for load and dump runs.

Place to put the stuff before it gets sold.

Time to do all the work....sorting, dumping, selling.

and....

solid work ethic.

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »
plastic bins are nice, but you will find enough of those in lockers so that you will probably never have to purchase any.  Eventually you will give some away.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
I do have those... Vehicle, the dump is only a few minutes from my house, I have an unused shed in the backyard for storage (it's closer to a barn than a shed in size, storing things is not an issue)

Wait, solid work ethic?  Crap...  Where can I buy one of those?  :-)

Actually, I feel pretty prepared.  I went through over the last couple weeks and literally read every post on this forum.  This forum really developed into a wealth of information.

In fact, I'd like to thank everyone that has posted on here before.  and to other n00bs, I suggest reading everything you can find online with regards to storage auctions.  This forum is the best one I've seen, and there are a few excellen blogs on the subject too (I really dig the Storage Heroes blog)

-Deric

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:48:02 PM »
Looks like you are set. Don't be afraid to jump in on the bidding just don't get caught up in it.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »
plastic bins are nice, but you will find enough of those in lockers so that you will probably never have to purchase any.  Eventually you will give some away.

I just mentioned the bins due to that I recently moved, and I have a few left over from that.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »
Stripedcomic...

As Drew said, looks like you might be ready. I posed the questions I did because I have seem some remarkable things on this forum.

Check out the two posts by THIS New Yorker.

http://storageauctionforums.com/index.php?action=profile;u=5500;sa=showPosts

Also, using the member list look up a poster using the name "momonamission"; mission not accomplished.

Then there was TreasureHawk and another poster whose name I have forgotten who both got a bargain deal on office furniture, got it sold (or given away) one way or the other and were never heard from again.

I could list more, but those are the ones who come to mind right away.

Of course there's nothing wrong with bailing out of an endeavor if it doesn't suit one in one way or the other, but I see a lot of enthusiasm in these forums which later turns to dust.

I think the expression "failure is not an option" shouldn't be used by new auction buyers; it is ALWAYS an option.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
I appreciate the posts Movieman.  This is actually an extension of the niche buying/selling I've been doing for a while. 

I used to buy concert T-Shirts at salvation Army/Goodwills and sell them on EBay (used to average around double the thrift store price, or about $10 for a $4 or $5 shirt).  Then, more recently, I would buy used board games at garage sales/flea markets, to take them with me on my yearly trip to a large gaming convention that features a big auction as well. Typically, I would pay for a sizable percentage of my trip through selling these off.

So, I see this as expanding from a niche market to a broader market.  I understand that failure is an option, which is why I'm taking the gambling "only bring what you can afford to lose" mentality.  I'm not blinded by the TV shows...  Which is to say I'm not doing this to try and make a living at it.  I'm viewing it as a hobby for a while, just to see if I enjoy the process.

It actually reminds me of a job I used to have, I used to run the lost and found for a large spread out company that ran the length of New York.  The kind of company that had people all over the city going through it every day.  My favorite part was digging through people's stuff.  Strangest thing ever found?  A Tombstone.  Filled out.  Creepy.

-D

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
looks like you have everything that you need.  Maybe some band-aids (just sliced myself doing a dig).  My only advice is if the facility has 6 or more units for sale you watch the first or second units to come up.  Learn how the seller or auctioneer runs the auction.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
Band Aids!  Thank you...  I bought them, and didn't have them in my bag yet...

Roadvirus

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »
Another thing you might want: a dust mask

God knows what kind of crap is floating around in the air in storage lockers.

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:58 AM »
Sounds like you have everything.  Band-aids are a good one to keep on standby.  Also- two things I'm never without on digs (assuming you are planning to dig right after if you do in fact win a unit by the fact that you brought garbage bags) --  hand-sanitizer (VERY important) and a razor blade or knife for cutting open boxes.  Also some great gloves. We keep 2-3 different thicknesses of gloves on hand because you never know what you're going to need -- thick ones for moving/lifting furniture,  thin ones for digging through pants pockets.

This is just a silly thing, but I always bring some type of snack (usually bottled water and nuts or craisins)  and a book or notebook to do work because there is a lot of hurry-up and wait at auctions and sometimes a lot of down time, and it's not like you can just leave right in the middle.  It's good to have some fuel.

Congrats on taking the leap-- best of luck to you!  Also, if you want to read my "newbie code of conduct" you can do so here: http://storageheroes.blogspot.com/2011/09/newbie-or-not-newbie-that-is-question.html

Best,
Rebecca
http://storageheroes.blogspot.com

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 06:42:06 AM »
Hey Rebecca.

Thank you for the advice...  I've actually read through your entire blog...  every post (and I check it every day!).  I love the letters from the Storage Lockers.  I've read a couple out loud to my wife, trying to accurately capture the bad spelling by reading the words incorrectly is a challenge, and, hilarious.

I do have a couple different pairs of gloves, a thicker one for the moving, and some thin vinyl ones for digging. 

Keep up the great blog!

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
Just an update.

I didn't buy or bid today.  There were 4 units, about 20 people there. 

First unit was trash bags, with clothes inside.  That looked to be about all.  There was one baby toy as well, but besides that, all trash bags.  It went for $20.  Of them all, I thought about taking the low priced risk on this.

Second onelogad washer/dryer, mattress, boxspring.  A box of DVD as well could be seen from the door.  This unit looked like everything was literally thrown in. A 10X12. Went for $250.  Looked like too many trips to the dump for me to be interested.

The third one was neatly stacked boxes.  I saw a computer box (couldn't tell if anything inside), a PS2 Guitar Hero controller, a regular guitar case, a ceramic figurine box...  A lot of taped up boxes/plastic bins.  This was a 5X5 piled to the ceiling.  It went for $525.  I wasn't willing to gamble on The contents of what I couldn't see though.

The last one had some very nice high end furniture.  It was a 10 X 20, and entirely out of my price range.  It went for $1050, and I expect them to make some money off of it. Tables, chairs, a nice china cabinet, plus the china (at least a box labelled china).  It was very nice, but out of my current range/desires.

However, I enjoyed going, and will try and make more of them soon.
-Deric

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
Just to give you some idea / perspective of the different markets:

First unit is about right for my area.  Maybe 5 or 10 bucks.  We had a few $10 units yesterday that were like that.  One was nothing but cloths.  Some decent cloths but lots of iffy stuff.

Second unit is about right depending on if there was other furniture or not.  Most of our units like that stay under $250...most being 180-200.

That third unit would be the big ? of the day.  An instrument case many times will take up the bid.  Most of the 5x5s here go for under $200.  However, a unit like that with a guitar, flute, and other stuff showing went for $550 back in July.  The neatly stacked boxes helped the price go up.  People that take care to stack, sort, etc. stuff in a unit normally means better quality items.

The furniture unit is high for my area.  I've only seen one $910 bid on a 10x30 that was packed full.  Was like a whole house unit.  Most of the others are in the $400 - $500 range.

Good luck on your next auction.

xx
Going to my first auction tomorrow

Started by bigred

8 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 05:09:37 PM
by bigred
xx
Got an auction tomorrow!

Started by moparornocar72

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 11:17:36 AM
by moparornocar72
xx
tomorrow's the first auction of the new year for me...

Started by the jerk

6 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 07:57:25 AM
by Cobia
xx
Attending first auction tomorrow

Started by NightOwl

16 Replies
Last post December 30, 2011, 09:21:37 PM
by Liandra