Storage Auctions

Getting attached to items

Getting attached to items
« on: August 28, 2011, 07:10:24 PM »
Ok so I been reading other peoples post about how they find items and keep them instead of selling them. Well I kinda got attached to my nintendo dsi I found in a unit. I know I can get at least a hundred for it on ebay. Is it smart to keep it even though it would be a profit loss and since its really fun tp play and search the web on or should I just not get attached to items worth alot of money?

Thanks to whoever answers tonight. But flea market in the morning have to be there before4to get a decent spot. Start selling at first light.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Getting attached to items
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »
Dont look at it as a profit loss, but as profit gained. Reason is because you are keeping it and it would of cost you more if you went out and bought it.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
Thats the thing. I hardly ever buy expensive items like that. I either just wait for the holidays or deal without. But yeah I see where your commin from jrossjr. I kept I think 15 dvds the game system and pocket recorder. Just things ive wanted for a while. Gave my dad a full set of nice plates and a couple smaller things as payment for helping as was his idea. So for 30 dollars the things kept were nothing compared to the profit I can still make

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »
Thats the thing. I hardly ever buy expensive items like that. I either just wait for the holidays or deal without. But yeah I see where your commin from jrossjr. I kept I think 15 dvds the game system and pocket recorder. Just things ive wanted for a while. Gave my dad a full set of nice plates and a couple smaller things as payment for helping as was his idea. So for 30 dollars the things kept were nothing compared to the profit I can still make

lol, well then your far ahead, and not need worry about profit losses.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »
If you have short term and long term goals with this as a business you have to ask yourself what will help you achieve those goals.By selling it might be the difference between getting not getting the next locker.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:37:50 PM »
I don't think I have ever kept anything from any units. The cash has been too tempting

Offline otbg

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »
I tend to look at things this way: If there is an item i know I would have bought anyway (or have been looking to buy), then I keep it and see it as X amount of dollars I saved. If it is something that is just "cool" or "fun" that I may not have bought otherwise, I would probably sell it it 9 out of 10 times. The tenth time is just a little gift to myself or a family member. :)

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 09:23:40 AM »
For me, I have no problem keeping things from units if it's something that we needed or nice piece for our house. I give my daughters little stuff out of every unit, their joy is worth something to me. I have made very nice profits off my first 5 units so keeping stuff for free is great. Won't keep much out of the last one because I need to squeeze all I can to make some profit on it. There are no rules to how you operate your business, your own personal enjoyment has value to you. You have to decide where the that line is. Making your living at this is a different world than a doing this for a second income stream. I do it for the latter. Good luck and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
Well like Millertime said - if this is a second income stream / hobby keeping stuff for yourself is fine.  In fact most of what I'm looking for initially in units is for myself or to support other interest.  So I see nothing wrong keeping a game or such and entertaining yourself.  Heck during the slow time a the yard sale or market it can help pass the time.

If this is your main line of income / buisness then IMO you sale everything to max profit.  Or keep it but sale something else to make up the difference.

Is all a judgement call.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
I have kept lots of things mainly tools I wanted anyway.  I also keep things like silver dollars as I hoard them anyway. I have outfitted an entite Rec room in my house with a futon, TV, table w chairs and bookcases all from various storage units.  Net cost to me is nothing so I think I am money ahead saving things.

xx
Why do big items sell faster then small items, plus my 2 units recap.

Started by acman

9 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 02:03:40 PM
by BigBizzz
xx
What items to look for?

Started by Henry

11 Replies
Last post October 24, 2017, 10:41:00 PM
by ChristopherJames
xx
What is the best way to ship items?