Storage Auctions

How many show up vs how many buy

How many show up vs how many buy
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:41:09 AM »
i'm new to auctions never been to one yet i live in a semi rural area. i was just wondering how many show up to auction vs how many buy.

Re: How many show up vs how many buy
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:44:13 AM »
Well you can only have 1 buyer per unit......

Smart remark aside - in my area we are getting good 2x to 3x people vs bidders.  May only have 12 of us bidding but 40+ people looking.  It can get frustrating as an auction that should only take 30 - 40 mins takes 2 hours will all the people just looking.  Course I prefer looky-loos vs more bidders.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:09 AM »
Go to one (or more) and find out. It will be a nice outing from your rural area.

Needless to say there are almost always 2 to 5 times as many people as there are lockers available, and of those people maybe only 1 in 5 will bid at all, hence the name "lookey-loos".

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »
I'd say 60% don't bid.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:27:33 PM »
thanks guys. sorry if i ask stupid questions lol like i said im new. im probably gonna go to my first auction at the end of the month. i called a local place and they have one on the 30 but it also saw the same place on auctionzip so there my be many people there.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
The Lookie Loos that irritate me are the ones that bring the young kids with them, especially in strollers. Not older kids, I mean like the 1-6 year olds that don't understand what's going on and you've got 100 people trying to fit in the hallways to view the unit up for auction. This is business, not a family outing.

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:21:55 AM »
The Lookie Loos that irritate me are the ones that bring the young kids with them, especially in strollers. Not older kids, I mean like the 1-6 year olds that don't understand what's going on and you've got 100 people trying to fit in the hallways to view the unit up for auction. This is business, not a family outing.
wow people really bring there kids? :o i can understand bringing your teenagers if your a buyer make the teens clean it out lol

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 07:27:49 AM »
Yes - people bring their kids to the auctions.  My child attends auctions that she can.  Of course she is 13 and am teaching her about buying / selling / bartering.

However - I've seen 1yr old babies, 4 yr olds, 6 yr olds, etc.  When it's just one it doesn't really bother me.  We even have one auctioneer that takes the time to talk with the kids and have them come up front to "help" him.  When it's a 1/2 dozen or more kids, strollers, and retards it makes for a long day.

There is even one older kid, about my daughters age that must be home schooled.  He comes with his father or grand-father who is a doctor.  This kid has some major attitude.  I thought the auctioneer was going to kick both of them out at one auction.  Kid was like "What is taking you so long old man?"  All of us thought one of the regulars put him up to it but he was serious.  I was like "oh man - if that was my kid he would be getting slapped upside the head about now".

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:34:56 AM »
My child attends auctions that she can.  Of course she is 13 and am teaching her about buying / selling / bartering.

That is totally different, I applaud any child that is trying to learn. I have my 14-year old son that comes with me when he is not in school. He's there to both learn and he makes a few buck off me to help with the clean-out when I buy a unit. But I told him, follow the line and keep quiet.

He wanted one of those iPod Touch waste of money thingies that I won't buy. So he worked and earned the money to buy himself one. I was fine with that and he treats it a lot better than things that were bought for him.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »
I bring my two older ones when they are not in school. 11 yr old girl and 10 yr old boy. Teaching both of them about the business as well as responsibility.  Of course I dont let them touch a thing when I come across a nasty locker. And I do not let them sort things out. Never know what you will find. But they help load up the truck and sweep out the locker once we are done.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »
My wife and I live in a semi-rural area as well and the auction we went to Saturday there were 6 lockers, 10 bidders(not counting spouses/accomplices)showed up, we bought 2 lockers, another couple bought 2 lockers, one guy bought one, another guy bought the last one. so 40% of the bidders bought units, during my tenure as a lookey loo this seemed to be about the same numbers

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
It all depends on who show up. I have seen 6 units for sale with 20 buyers and one of them buy 4 units. Sometime the one who bought 4 units buys none. There is 3 people who buy a lot.

xx
Why do I have to sign in and show ID?

Started by Hunter48

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2014, 11:17:59 AM
by janette
xx
With all the auction tv show do you think this is a

Started by bwd111

13 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 11:59:16 AM
by AuctionOne