Storage Auctions

I just Bought my first Unit and had a question

I just Bought my first Unit and had a question
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
The contents included a collection of about 150 used collectible shot glasses. Are these something I can sell as I don't know if I would ever buy a used shot glass myself. Also, What is the best way to go about selling used dvds?

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: I just Bought my first Unit and had a question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:09:26 PM »
Shot glasses....if any are really old or unique maybe eBay might make you few dollars. (or etsy if vintage)  One from a hotel in Cuba or from an original Vegas hotel shot glass might sell. Tanqeirs hotel stuff sells well.
Otherwise your looking at 25cent table filler at flee market IMO.

DVDs...again. Classic cult films on eBay. Or lot sell. 
Another table filler at flee/garage sale
$1-5 depending on movie.

Both will at least get people over to your stall if nothing else.

With ebay's kickback your forced to pay theses days your not looking at much profit.
For both (if you don't flee or garage sell) I'd try to sell as lots on CL first

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:17:25 PM »
Shot glasses....if any are really old or unique maybe eBay might make you few dollars. (or etsy if vintage)  One from a hotel in Cuba or from an original Vegas hotel shot glass might sell. Tanqeirs hotel stuff sells well.
Otherwise your looking at 25cent table filler at flee market IMO.

The last two lkrs I bought EACH had shot glass collections. One had about 75, the other maybe 30. I have been putting about 20 or so at a time on one of my tables and sell them at $2 each or 3 for $5.  The collectors will pay that much (in my experience) if they find one or two they like. I have also had people walk away at that price. I think they go for $3 and up at stores, so not a reach for me to sell them at $2.

After all, how many places will you find "just the one you've been looking for" unless you GO to that spot 3 states away?

I used to do well with DVDS, but anymore I try to sell them for $3 each and 2 for $5, but sometimes go for $2 each straight up. HOWEVER, the movie business is a TITLE DRIVEN business. If someone finds a title they want, they'll usually pay for it. If they balk I remind them that they could look all day or drive to 3 or 4 flea markets and not find it again. This usually works, but not always.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:11:50 AM »

After all, how many places will you find "just the one you've been looking for" unless you GO to that spot

Never have understood the collecting of shot glasses of spots you've never been......but see your point.

Had a box of them I set on the curb. They sat there for days. Think it was bums that finally started taking them......

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:34:57 AM »
Never have understood the collecting of shot glasses of spots you've never been......but see your point.

Actually, I was thinking one of the following:

1) They had been to "spot x", had bought one and had lost it over the years or it got broken.

2) They had been to "spot x", didn't buy one and wish they had

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »
Thanks for the help and responses!

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
Shot glasses for me have not sold.  Of course I've only had odds/ends and not a collection to dedicate a whole table to.

DVDs still sell well even if most people have gone to digital and blueray.  I sell most of my DVD movies between $2-$3.  I have a few at $1 and box sets for $5 - $10.  I purchased a tub full of DVD movies for $100 just to re-sell at the flea.

If you have very old or off-the-wall titles check ebay.  Had a lady looking for the fly and cujo.  She finally found someone selling them in VHS and bought them.  I didn't ask how much she paid.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »

For both (if you don't flee or garage sell) I'd try to sell as lots on CL first

Getting ready to put a "lot" of the shot glasses on Clist, but will also allow them to buy (at a minimum) 3 for $5 with a minimum buy of $10 worth...that should make the 1 mile trip to my storage worthwhile, and with about 100 to look at they hopefully will find $10 worth or buy the whole batch for $100.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
kinda a tough sell probably sell themf or cheap at the flea market but shot glasses are cheap so unlesss htey are unique probably hard to sell. also a collector probably wouldn't want them since people tend to like to collect shot glases that have meaning to them. i would try to sell them as a "lot" on ebay all at once first if not sell piece by piece.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:02:16 AM »

Had a box of them I set on the curb. They sat there for days. Think it was bums that finally started taking them......

Thats actually one of the things I collect as souviners from units I buy is I keep the shot glasses if there are any nice & interesting ones. They don't take up much space so my place won't look like Fred Sanford's living room any time soon. By-the-way, shot glasses in vacation spots are hitting the $10-$12 mark new now.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
By-the-way, shot glasses in vacation spots are hitting the $10-$12 mark new now.

I am sometimes amazed when I find out what different items are selling for these days. Thanks for that info.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
Movieman-

I must retract slightly from previous statements I made.
Now that I think about it, I never collected shot glasses from places I've been.  Well, I was SORTA there.
In my travels I always grabbed shot glasses at airports ive been to. Lay overs. But if I ever actually made it to town I then tossed sot glass.

So your guess at why people would by a shot glass to a place they've never been makes more sense to me now.  I might have done it back in the day. "places I haven't been to yet"

I was at an estate sale friday that there was a huge collection of souvenir spoons. Couple ladies got to where I thought we might have a cat fight on our hands!  lol

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
Shot Glasses are a tough Sell on Ebay, sometimes you might get a $1 each for them (if you have a lot/collection).

At garage sales, I sell them the non-desired ones for .25 cents each.. just to get rid of them. Normally people who own/work a thrift store will come take them all at that price.

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42:58 AM »
 movies are an easy sell in the truck stops $5 each or 5 for $20 all day long. Newer moves sell quicker
 Best time to go in to them is about 8pm when there getting full and most are still awake the bigger stops are better.
 them old style crt 13" tvs sell well but the must have the rca hook ups ($10-$20)

Truckers are requared by law to be parked for 10 hours a day and they love movies as there is nothing better to do  game systems and inverters (12 volt to 110) can also be a good sell along with the little mini fridges. CBs and gps are a harder sell unless u have high end stuff( truckers need special GPS although some will take car GPS if the price is right)

I am a trucker my self and each week I load up the truck with 50-60 movies and a few tvs , hit the road and out of stuff by the time I get home on fry days

Good luck hope this helps for getting the most out of your movies. Don't toss them old smaller TVs there is a market for them

A few otheer

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
When I had a ton of DVDs to sell, maybe 3-4 years ago, I was selling them for $3 ea. 4 for $10. Went to the flea market this past weekend and a guy was selling milk crates full of DVDs, $2 ea. Buy 4 get 1 free.

xx
Anyone bought a really bad unit lately?

Started by Travis

7 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 05:47:45 PM
by calcoastgal
xx
Just bought my first unit

Started by steelerfan

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2011, 09:30:26 PM
by Drew