Storage Auctions

Just started, here's my first go at it

Just started, here's my first go at it
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »
Answered an ad on CL for a lady that had a room full of items to sell.  Knew of a kids resale store so decided to try and make a couple bucks on the toys. Bought whole lot for $10.  I'm hoping they'll at least want the Legos.  I cleaned and sorted everything.

Going to sell very soon.  I'll let you know how it goes.  At the very least I'll make a good contact at the store.

Also bought all her DVDs for $8.  Sold immediately to a used CD store for $13.  Starting small here.

Re: Just started, here's my first go at it
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
Good luck!!

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »
The Legos put me in the positive and then they took some of the other smaller items too.  Matchbox cars, animal figurines etc.  The place was really looking for clothing (hah! that shouldn't be a problem) and furniture sans car holders and cribs (recall issues).

Talked to the two owners for a bit and am glad to be friendly with them as I'm sure I'll run across some children's clothing sometime.

Didn't get to unload everything from the bin and I feel like a lot of it would do well at a flea market/yard sale.  To small/cheap to piecemeal.  I'm not ready to pitch it yet.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »
gotta start somewhere! That will definitely get you some practice in selling

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »
Just so everyone on the board is aware, Legos sell well on Ebay and most people sell used Legos by the pound.

It might be good to check out different people's listings to see how they do it. You'll probably get more out of them than you would have thought.

Congrats on your first "win." For most people, just getting started is the hardest part.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:30:52 AM »
Watch the matchbox cars also.  Red lines, first runs, older production style cars all can fetch some decent money.  After cherry picking a box of them I had most all the rest have sold for 50 cents each.  Only have a few duplicates and mcdonald type plastic toys left in the box.  Really could use some more as it is a crowd pleaser.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:02:25 AM »
Now moving on to a little bit of a 'bigger ticket' item.  Mountain Buggy Urban Double Stroller:

Lightly used, has some scuffs but this thing is built VERY solid.  Retails new for around $700.  Just gotta find that active mom with two kids....

It's on CL as of yesterday, my buddy wants to put it on eBay but I think it's a bit much to ship.  It doesn't fold down so we'd have to disassemble it.  Probably weighs 40lbs, maybe a little more.  What do you all think?

I never would have guessed that I'd start out reselling children's items....

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:23:23 AM »
Now moving on to a little bit of a 'bigger ticket' item.  Mountain Buggy Urban Double Stroller:

Lightly used, has some scuffs but this thing is built VERY solid.  Retails new for around $700.  Just gotta find that active mom with two kids....

It's on CL as of yesterday, my buddy wants to put it on eBay but I think it's a bit much to ship.  It doesn't fold down so we'd have to disassemble it.  Probably weighs 40lbs, maybe a little more.  What do you all think?

I never would have guessed that I'd start out reselling children's items....

Nice find. Don't be surprised at how low the offers will be, or how low you will have to sell it to make it move. I found a similar style jogging stroller in very good condition that retailed not as high as yours, about $250, that I eventually sold at the flea market for $30. It's fun finding valuable stuff out of units, the hard part is getting anything close to retail back out of them. But as the saying goes in the storage unit business "You never know!"

P.S. Stay in this business and the "surprises" about what you will be selling will definitely keep coming! You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole can go!  ;)

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »
I stay away from strollers / cribs / etc.  Too many recall notices and things of that nature.  Please make sure to run the model / serial # through a few different sites to make sure there never was a recall on it.

Baby stuff can move well however and make you some decent cash.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »
I would definitely do CL on this item.  The shipping is going to scare people away on eBay (unless you are in an area where local pick up would work).  Moms scour CL for kids stuff and when I sold my stuff off, I had it gone within a day or so.  Are you sure it doesn't fold down? Most of them do, and its a big selling point (car seats take up room in the car, and if it collapses to go in a trunk etc.  You can look online and usually find directions or the book that may have come with it.  Good Luck!!! Let us know what happens  :)

xx
Need some help getting started

Started by Nextinline

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 08:53:34 PM
by Drew
xx
I just started an ebay store...

Started by HomeGrownPromos

6 Replies
Last post January 02, 2014, 09:44:35 AM
by rulesforrebels
xx
How did you get started in the Storage Auction business?

Started by MovieMan

25 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 09:00:43 AM
by Cobia
xx
Can the tenant come in and pay for the unit after the bidding has started?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 11:43:03 AM
by Travis