Storage Auctions

Skip Tracing, advanced storage buying

Skip Tracing, advanced storage buying
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:48:46 PM »
O.k., so this post is for advanced noobies and for some regular buyers an unknown advantage. 

How do you know when the "person" who owns the unit your bidding on has "money." Simple, you do a background check on the units owner. This can be done free or for a small fee.  I showed up today with a list of all the unit numbers that were for sale, the renters names and "my guess" of their personal income based on a pictures I found of their houses.

So, how do I do it, easy. But what's more important is the small advantage I had over the other bidders. When I know storage unit 1234 rented by Jane Doe who lives in a $500,000 house in Buckhead, GA is for sale versus storage unit 4321 rented by Jack Johnson who lives in an apartment off Bankhead Hwy......I can kinda guess what quality I will find in those sealed boxes.  OF COURSE it's not ALWAYS accurate, and NO I don't "profile". I'm just saying, more times then not, I find better stuff when I research.

So, if you've followed me this far you may be asking how? Simple use the World Wide Web for free searches.  There are even more websites out there that will give you VERY personal information on the owner, income, criminal history, property value etc etc.  This may not seem relevant to some of you, but if you really want to make a business out of this you should do your diligent research to maximize your profit margin. When 80 people show up to an auction to bid on 2 units, you need all the help you can get. Have a great day!!

a3rdRanger

Re: Skip Tracing, advanced storage buying
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »
In Georgia we call a locker full of black plastic yard bags, "Georgia Luggage".  Usually someone who was recently evicted from their home/apartment needs to load things up quickly and cheaply will place their belongings in trash bags.  It also says a lot versus well packed, labeled, taped, quality moving boxes stacked in a unit.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:18 AM »
In Georgia we call a locker full of black plastic yard bags, "Georgia Luggage".  Usually someone who was recently evicted from their home/apartment needs to load things up quickly and cheaply will place their belongings in trash bags.  It also says a lot versus well packed, labeled, taped, quality moving boxes stacked in a unit.

We call them "Alabama suitcases" but whatever.  ;)

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:56:41 AM »
On topic, I use to research the owners but I have found that when the door goes up what you see is what you get.

Two examples of research that taught me to not put much faith in it.

Ex. #1 unit owned by a prominate attorney in a small town, six figure income, million dollar house. Door goes up, "Alabama suitcases", junk, fallaparticle board furniture, etc. 5 x 10 Unit probably worth about $40. Guess which dummy ran the bid to $250 based on "research"? As it turns out, the personal paperwork and other clues told me the contents of this unit were owned by his college age son. I lost about $125 on this one. Now I don't know why this prominent attorney let the unit in his name go into default, but it definitely was not his stuff in the unit.

Ex. #2 unit owned by a single mother (most likely an immigrant) living in public housing. I know I am NOT going to pay a lot for this unit! Door goes up 10 x 20 pretty well full, furniture looks pretty good from the door, a lot of work though, I win the unit for $200, I guess cause nobody else wanted to mess with all that furniture in the middle of summer. Turns out inside the unit was a complete bedroom set, dining room set, living room set, all nearly new Ashley Furniture. I think I made around $2300 on the furniture and all the boxes of household goods.

So the long and the short is I don't care about the persons name, assumed ethnicity, age, gender, whatever; I just take my time and do as complete an examination of the contents of the unit as I can before I start bidding.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
Thats a way to put a hole in the theory really quick.

I agree with cobia. 

just look in the locker and just make a good judgement. 

saran wrapped boxes, beds, whatever - they have taken care of it

trashed furnture, trash bags all over the place -  bad judgement. 

make a good call and you ll come out on top.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »
Only research that I do if I'm bored at work is check the "inmate" list of the two county jails. 

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »
Only research that I do if I'm bored at work is check the "inmate" list of the two county jails. 

LOL that is a good research.

xx
Advanced Storage Lenders

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 07:23:33 PM
by Henry
xx
Sad state of storage unit buying

Started by Majblade2

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 10:25:43 AM
by bwd111
xx
Is buying storage units bad Karma?

Started by Travis

13 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 01:43:31 AM
by UdyRegan
xx
Can you get arrested for buying a storage unit?

Started by alloro

13 Replies
Last post December 29, 2011, 06:21:42 PM
by rulesforrebels