Storage Auctions

Washer / Dryer and other scrap metal

Washer / Dryer and other scrap metal
« on: August 10, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
I know scrap yards will take copper, steel, and the like.  But do they pay for washer / dryers and the like?  Keep trying to call my local scrap yard but never get an answer.  Do you get more money as a unit or if you take them apart.

Anyone have any luck at this?  I've read many threads where people find washer/dryers and such.  If they don't work what do you do with them?

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
Re: Washer / Dryer and other scrap metal
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
I took a washer and dryer to scrap 2 weeks ago and got 23 bucks for them. They picked them up with a forklift and dropped them on the scale, 232 lbs @ 10 cents a pound. Take the dryer pigtail off and resell it if its in good shape because they are not cheap new. I'm in Tennessee.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:19:05 PM »
  I have two yards close to me , one You almost have to pay them if You bring in          " white metal " and tries to screw you on everything else .
  The other one , owned by a friend I grew up with ( great when I need a part )  use to sort and weigh everything separately , with a attendant , but now has You just drive over the scale , and dump in one big pile and they pay a flat rate , last week $ 230. a ton , Cars , brake rotors and drums , washer and dryer, aluminum , Rocks  ::),   etc.                                    I use them for quick cash or to clean out a trailer .
 We have another place that weighs everything separately , copper , alum. , # 1 , #2 steel , and pays a LOT more but they are 60 min. away and You always  have to wait in line .
Bandit

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
Might want to check with them in person.Great suggestion with the pigtail.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »
I'll have to remember to pull the cords from the units.  Finally got some people on the phone.  One yard will take them but not bulk.  Also only pays .08 per lb.  The big recycle center is paying $13.75 / 100lbs.  I'll just have to see how much crap I have in my sheds / around the yard to see if it's worth my gas money to haul the trailer there.  Since we purchased my place at auction there is still a ton of scrap metal trash I've been cleaning up.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
I got a unit last week for $125.00 that had 4 beat up rims in it. They each weighed 35 lbs and I got $111.00 to scrap them. Take everthing off them that's not aluminum ( valve stems, plastic covers, lead weights etc.) My recycler paid 80 cents/lb for this "clean aluminum" versus 68 cents/lb for cans and such. I could see the rims were for recycle at the door but didn't value them that high. They nearly paid for my unit which was fantastic as it also had a lot of new clothes with tags, new electronics, and many nice household goods. Being able to value scrap is a big advantage over your competition as I heard some mumbling about the rims being no good as they walked away from the door. I plan to watch scrap prices closely from now on to value items correctly. Hope this helps some of you.

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »
Ya - thanks Miller for the info it does.  In fact the one auction I attended one of the units had some rims and such like you are talking about.  I didn't bid as I was more there to learn the get stuff.  But I've since started to keep up with prices.  Also, been pulling off anything metal from stuff I have around house that is waiting to recycle.  Old tv's, vcr players and such that don't work anymore.  Figure if it is metal it's going in my new scrap pile.  One for ferrous and another for non-ferrous.  Figure will turn it all in one day and add it to my startup cash.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »
I know when it comes to aluminum, certain states pay more but is that the same with other scrap metal? I live in Indiana, near Indianapolis, and I'm not sure where there is a scrap yard nearby. But I know in some states like Michigan, they pay a lot for aluminum. I was wondering if they pay more for other metal too.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
I found a company on craigslist that now comes to my place and picks up the non working appliances and pays me 25 per machine. I just did a search for appliances and found this guy. Saves us the trouble of haulin it over to the recycling center.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 11:19:10 PM »
If the units are working, I would try to sell them off before even thinking about scrapping them. Here, if old used washers and dryers I can sell off for $50 each. Thats double what the scrapyard will pay for them.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:43:50 AM »
If the units are working, I would try to sell them off before even thinking about scrapping them. Here, if old used washers and dryers I can sell off for $50 each. Thats double what the scrapyard will pay for them.

Same way here. I get $18 - $20 per washer/dryer at scrap yard. So if I can sell a beat up piece for $25 I am making more money than scraping it.

xx
Scrap Metal/Recyclers!!!

Started by Drew

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 02:14:41 PM
by the teacher
xx
Scrap metal - is it worth it?

Started by jeratbp

27 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 04:19:32 PM
by craiglstauction