Storage Auctions

What happens when...

Offline rugie

What happens when...
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »
What if only 2 people show up at an auction...or even just 1 person lol. Is there a minimum amount of bidders that have to show up?

Re: What happens when...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »
THere are no minimum bidders. The storage facility, however, may have reserved the right to refuse any and all bids and may, therefore, reject your bid (in essence setting a reserve price). One of the first units I ever bought, I was the only one there. I offered $50.00 (It was a 10 x25 about 1/2 full) and the lady got really offended and refused the bid. I asked her what she thought was fiar and she said $150.00. I agreed. As we were walking back to the office several other people showed up and she asked me if I wanted to bid the unit again as maybe I could get it cheaper. I refused.
That was a great unit. I found a broken gold necklace that I sold for $500.00 (Wish I could have sold it now--gold is twice as high) and I still have about 5 really nice expenxive leather coats to sell.
So, bottom line is there is no minimum amount of people but even if you are the only one there, don't expect to get it for next to free unless it appears to be all junk.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:50:09 AM »
The best I have been to was me and 2 other ladies. Too bad there were only 2 crappy units up for auction. They can refuse to sell it I guess if you are the only one. But I think most storage facilities mindsets is to just clear the unit out so they can get a new paying tenant in.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:07:48 AM »
If there is less then 5 people at the auction go play the lottery.  You just got lucky.

Seriously it all depends on the facility.  The auction I hit yesterday was only 20 people or so and most of the lockers went for under $100.  Talking with the state manager that ran the auction he stated he doesn't care what he gets for the units.  He just wants them cleaned out and off his books.  As he said the ad that must be posted in the paper is $700 by itself.  So unless some amazing units come up he's not going to make any money.

I've already seen a few very junky looking units that were pretty full go for only $5.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »
Best I have been to was me and 2 other ladies. 4 Lockers up for grabs.

1st unit: $55  5x5( I bought it)
2nd Unit: $50 10x5(I bought it)
3rd unit: 10x5(was not sold, although I wished I put up the $5 after what the manager told me about the tenant two days later, sadly it was already to late :()
4th Unit: $75 10x10 (one of the ladies and I were bidding it up, I let her have it because it was upstairs, no elevator, tight steep stairs). Ran across her two weeks later and asked her about the locker, she said 85% of it went to the dump, she didnt say nothing more about it, and I didnt ask.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:37:45 AM »
  The Good Old Days
  When our daughter was 7 or 8 We were at an auction with just one other regular ( our friend and mentor  Moe Tweedy that got us involved in the storage auctions , He was selling next to Us at a flea market in Maine and camping in the same campground , filled us in around the campfire , and invited Us to meet him at a couple of upcoming auctions )
  He was buying up everything for his stores but let Us have a couple of small ones .
 When one locker was opened , it was filled mostly with dolls and toys , Moe looked away , the auctioneer looked at Cheryl and asked if She had received her allowance or did she need to borrow some money ?                                                                     She answered   No ,  I have $ 5.00 , and the auctioneer looked around and yelled SOLD .      ;D
 Bandit
  neracing.com/0601-23o.htm

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:52:07 AM »
Public Storage will not hold an auction if less then 5 people show up.  Thier rules but state law requires nothing I am aware of only that it be sold at public auction.  Fewest I have ever seen is 8 people most about 50. It is great when few show up then the auctions go faster and prices are more realistic.  At the auction with 8 people I got a $1 unit that was not bad and 2 other units as well. Most was $180 and I found $160 cash in that one and lots of other good stuff.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
laugh Bandit - that was cool of the guy.  Bet your daughter was excited and you going...oh boy.

I didn't bid up a locker any higher then $50 yesterday due to the fact it had 2 bags full of huge tigers, white tigers, etc.  While I wanted the hutch and desk I saw, there was no way my youngest daughter, maybe wife, and my 2 little nieces would of let me sale the stuff animals.  They overrun my house as it is.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
  The auctioneer was really a nice guy . He was just starting out building His business At one $65 locker We won , 4 bidders there  ( 3 & the 3 of us ) it had a set of golf clubs in it that he was drooling over , as we walked back to the office , Cheryl leaned them against his rear bumper , We have had a good relationship with Him ever since .
 We started with him when he was just mailing out a list , no web site etc.             Ron's company eventually grew into this one .
   storageauctionsolutions.com/
Bandit
   Regarding HER locker , Moe Tweedy loaded it in his truck and gave it to her the next weekend at the Cascade Flea Market , Old Orchid Beach , Me.  , She made out pretty good as I recall , sold a lot to the little kids for $ 1.00 or less .

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »
here at least 4 people have to show up or it is canceled.