Storage Auctions

What is the best way to get rid of unsellable trash?

What is the best way to get rid of unsellable trash?
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
Please note I'm talking about things that 100% must be thrown away.  I've asked around online and people always tell me donate it or there, recycle this and that etc.  I'm talking about things that have 0 hope of being used in any way.

I'm located near Pineville, NC...I don't live close to any landfill as far as I know.  I've googlemapped around and the closest thing I saw was about 30 miles away.  I really do not want to drive that far to dump trash.

Are there any companies that will come pick up just about everything I could possibly throw away?  I'm just looking for a cheap and convenient solution.  I also can't have a dumpster sitting in my yard or in the street, some people have suggested this to me but in my neighborhood that won't fly.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: What is the best way to get rid of unsellable trash?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:43:43 PM »
Check with your local trash pickup service....is yours run by the city or county?

They will charge you for additional pickup, but still if you don't want to drive 30 miles, that might work.

In my area there are 4 or 5 county dumps.....a pickup truck load goes for around $15 or so stacked as high as you can.

If it's small stuff, invest in a couple of extra garbage cans and rotate them through your pickup cycle.

Finally, buy smaller lockers with less trash !

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm going to try and find a convenient dump or landfill close by, if it's close to 15 dollars a load that isn't bad at all.  I've researched some places that pick it up(not related to my normal service) and it was 100s of dollars.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm going to try and find a convenient dump or landfill close by, if it's close to 15 dollars a load that isn't bad at all.  I've researched some places that pick it up(not related to my normal service) and it was 100s of dollars.

Yep places like 1-8xx-junk (and others) want an arm and a leg for hauling crap.

Look in your classifed or business ads for people who do hauling too. They may be reasonably priced.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 06:38:37 PM »
Please note I'm talking about things that 100% must be thrown away.  I've asked around online and people always tell me donate it or there, recycle this and that etc.  I'm talking about things that have 0 hope of being used in any way.

I'm located near Pineville, NC...I don't live close to any landfill as far as I know.  I've googlemapped around and the closest thing I saw was about 30 miles away.  I really do not want to drive that far to dump trash.

Are there any companies that will come pick up just about everything I could possibly throw away?  I'm just looking for a cheap and convenient solution.  I also can't have a dumpster sitting in my yard or in the street, some people have suggested this to me but in my neighborhood that won't fly.

First option is if you have a buddy who lives in an apartment complex give htem your junk and a few bucks and have them throw it away for you in their apartment dumpsters. Providing they are tossing it and not you I woudln't think that would be considered illegal dumping.

Option two is the most economical and that would be goign directly to a dump. If you dont have a truck or a dump nearby another good option is those bags from waste management. You can pick tehm up at Home Depot. You fill them up and call WM when your done and they will pick it up within a day or two. It's super easy and not very expensive about $130 roughly and I believe they hold 4 tons. Do a google search on waste management bags and you can probably find info specifically about your region of the country.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
Bonfire!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline terry

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
to the dump, to the dump, to the dump,dump,dump. to the dummmmp dummmp dump. At least in my county the $20 fee gets you the help of county convicts to help unload.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
You'd have to be specific on "unsellable", and how much you are talking about.  Tractor Trailer full vs. pickup truck full, etc.  My grandmother would use a pretty neat trick by selling boxes full of misc. items at yard sales, 90% loaded up with stuff she'd throw away and throw a few items that people would want and charge $2-5 bucks calling them grab bags.  Always sold out.

Also, this may not work in Pineville, but I've literally emptied out 50+ storage units filled with nothing but trash by putting a free ad on craigslist.  People will take anything if its free.  I just had two guys get into an actual shoving match at a storage unit over "free" scraps of metal.

Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:33 AM »
If you have anything with metal in it should be no problem to give it away on craigslist.  $170 a ton at the scrap yard now for low grade metal scrap.  Not much but it adds up.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:39:10 AM »
It's always a good idea to completely empty out the contents of a unit you buy. I have spoken with a few people who have purchased large units with nothing but trash in them. They chose to rent the unit,  then let it go back into foreclosure. I don't recommend this but I'm just throwing it out there. If you don't empty out the storage unit completely, you might be barred from attending auctions at that facility. On the other hand, if you rented the unit, you technically became a tenant and it may not ever fall back on you.   ::)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:29:30 AM »
It's always a good idea to completely empty out the contents of a unit you buy. I have spoken with a few people who have purchased large units with nothing but trash in them. They chose to rent the unit,  then let it go back into foreclosure. I don' recommend this but I'm just throwing it out there. If you don't empty out the storage unit completely, you might be barred from attending auctions at that facility. On the other hand, if you rented the unit, you technically became a tenant and it may not ever fall back on you.   ::)

Good Grief Travis !

If anyone in my area bought a locker, didn't clean it out, rented the locker, let it default under his name, the following would happen:

1) That buyer would never attend any more auctions by that auctioneer and probably by the other auctioneers either.
2) The defaulted locker (by that auction buyer) would go on his credit record as a person who doesn't pay his bills.
     The property mangers would be sending him registered letters and making phone calls to him, both of which I
     assume would go unanswered. The locker with the trash in it would be tied up as non-rentable for 2 or 3 months.
     That auction buyer's name and lkr number would be in the legal notices as well. Any reputation left ?

How in the world is this any kind of viable option for getting rid of unwanted trash?  ???

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
Not a good idea and not a cool thing to do. If you attend auctions regularly your probably on friendly terms with the facility manager and auctioneer so why would you do that to them?

Aside from that like movieman mentioned I'm sure they would hit your credit. Is gettting rid of a few hundred bucks worth of trash worth the thousands extra you'll pay on credit cards, mortgages, cars because of your hit to your credit?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 07:21:08 AM »
I was just commenting on what I have seen, you guys can put the pitchforks away. 

I clearly stated "I don't recommend this but I'm just throwing it out there. If you don't empty out the storage unit completely, you might be barred from attending auctions at that facility."

As far as the credit issue is concerned, I see your point.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »
I was just commenting on what I have seen, you guys can put the pitchforks away. 

I clearly stated "I don't recommend this but I'm just throwing it out there. If you don't empty out the storage unit completely, you might be barred from attending auctions at that facility."

As far as the credit issue is concerned, I see your point.

The problem is that movieman never reads the posts good enough, so when he comments on them he is so far off from what was said. I do not recommend anyone to listen to him, he is just a blank shot in the dark.  tragic person.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:46 PM »
The problem is that movieman never reads the posts good enough, so when he comments on them he is so far off from what was said. I do not recommend anyone to listen to him, he is just a blank shot in the dark.  tragic person.

You can dish it out Mr. A but you can't take it. My belief is that the readers of these forums can make up their own minds about such things and for the most part I would guess that none of this between you and I is of much importance to them.

xx
Idea to sell the unsellable crt and vhs

Started by greywar

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 08:34:50 PM
by Fayettenam Man
xx
What is trash?

Started by Mr Andersen

3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 04:39:57 AM
by Ironman