Storage Auctions

What to look for in brief legal postings for storage auctions?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: What to look for in brief legal postings for storage auctions?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
This was an interesting read and thank you for it.

Your spreadsheet should give you an accurate count as to HOW MANY facilities you have in the San Antonio area.

I was especially interested in your thoughts on how the two cities (San Antonio/Houston) vary in financial economics, cultures and the way the historical values are viewed.

Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that while there are similarities in our businesses throughout the country, there are bound to be regional differences which might make a world of difference in the way our businesses are conducted.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 10:33:09 AM »
This was an interesting read and thank you for it.

Your spreadsheet should give you an accurate count as to HOW MANY facilities you have in the San Antonio area.

Sorry was being lazy, lol. I have everything printed out and put into a 3 ring binder. And I dont have the numbers printed on it. The actual e-document is on a thumbdrive so I can take with me anywhere, didnt feel like plugging it in.

Anyway, I have around 148 different facilities. These are including 4 facilities that are not in my area but are south of my area about 30 - 45 mins. I have family there which is why I included those ones. Now if I was to included around my area and 45 mins beyond it all the way around. I know I can add at least another 50. But I do not go out that way. These would include all the little town between San Antonio and Austin. Which would be San Marcos, New Braunfels, Canyon Lake (which I may add to my list since I do have a time share out that way), and Seguin.

I was especially interested in your thoughts on how the two cities (San Antonio/Houston) vary in financial economics, cultures and the way the historical values are viewed.

Lol, trust me its ridiculous. Houston has been a major port for a long time, generally it meant better pay as well as cheaper cost of living. While San Antonio is pretty much really just a tourist town, which meant higher cost of living. But since we are so close to border, we have really really cheap labor. I cant say it is as bad as Corpus Christi (a true tourist town, meaning you have to make your money while tourist season is in, because during the rest of the time you aint making anything).

Culture wise in San Antonio we have Mexicans, a few Spaniards, Caucasian, a small amount of Middle Easterns, very few Puerto Ricans, and African Americans. Now go to Houston you will find all that above, as well as every single Latin Race you can think of, matter fact, I think Houston itself is a classic definition of a Race/Nationality Melting Pot. Asians of every nationality, latins of every different nationality, several different nationality from Africa. Like I said a true melting pot.

Historically, San Antonio has alot to offer, but sadly only focuses on the Alamo and the other little missions here, but still main focus is the Alamo. We have only two small Museums. One dedicated to just art, and the other cant really tell what there main focus is. Truly it is small but it is all mixed up. Art, World History (remember this is a small museum), mainly it has lots of scientific kid discovery stuff. Not to much on San Antonio or even Texas history. I guess you can say three, the Alamo itself is treated as a museum, does not really offer much, you will learn more in a 4th grade history class. There is not a whole lot of history plaques either. I think I can probable count all of them on both my hands through out the entire city.

Houston on the other hand, whew. Tons of plaques, matter fact go to a park that is right behind the Library downtown, you will find several plaques as well as several colonial houses that have been moved and maintained for viewing. Just about everytime you turn around in Houston you will find some kind of plaque recognizing the history that has made it what it is today. While I lived there I never went to any Muesems, well except the Aqua Marine one that is Downtown. Seen several of them, just never been inside any of them.

All in all what I am trying to get at is Houston prides EVERYTHING that made it the City it is Today. San Antonio itself has alot to offer too, not as much as Houston, but SA has history, but only recognizes the damn Alamo.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »

Anyway, I have around 148 different facilities. These are including 4 facilities that are not in my area but are south of my area about 30 - 45 mins.

Thanks for the update on the number of facilities. I use Microsoft Access for my database of facilities and just looked at it after reading your post. It goes back 7 years to when I started and the main list is 251 facilities. These go out in a 50 mile radius.

The reality is that most of the time I don't go further than 30 miles, and that is only a couple of times a year with most of my buys happening within 15 miles.

I could easily get the total facility numbers up to 500 by going out to a 90 mile radius, but since I would NEVER drive that far at $4.00 plus a gallon and currently HIGH lkr prices, there is no point in doing that. In fact when gas was ONLY $2.50 a gallon I didn't make those long trips, so it's more a matter of distance and lack of interest that keeps me closer to home.

Thanks too for the further discussion of the differences between the two cities (San Antonio and Houston). Made for interesting reading. I actually lived in Dallas for a year, but it's been so long I don't even have impressions of it anymore !

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »
Thanks for the update on the number of facilities. I use Microsoft Access for my database of facilities and just looked at it after reading your post. It goes back 7 years to when I started and the main list is 251 facilities. These go out in a 50 mile radius.

The reality is that most of the time I don't go further than 30 miles, and that is only a couple of times a year with most of my buys happening within 15 miles.

I could easily get the total facility numbers up to 500 by going out to a 90 mile radius, but since I would NEVER drive that far at $4.00 plus a gallon and currently HIGH lkr prices, there is no point in doing that. In fact when gas was ONLY $2.50 a gallon I didn't make those long trips, so it's more a matter of distance and lack of interest that keeps me closer to home.

Thanks too for the further discussion of the differences between the two cities (San Antonio and Houston). Made for interesting reading. I actually lived in Dallas for a year, but it's been so long I don't even have impressions of it anymore !

I only include the ones that are out of my area if I end up going that way anyway. For instance, I got family in Floresville, and there are 3 units right there in Floresville. So I could always make it as plans to do both in that day. Go check out the auction, whether I get one or not I visit with family.

Just like what I will be doing in Corpus Christi this year. My kids love going to the beach. So I figure we go there as a family for a few days. For myself I will be going to play and work. Will attend auctions while I am there. If I dont get anything, no big deal since I am going to be there anyway. :)

lol, dont get me started on DFW area :|

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 07:53:46 PM »
I may stand corrected, I won't know for sure until we move into the market and I do my own research. When I was doing my research for the Houston area, I found that more than half of the storage facilities don't advertise in the Yellow Pages. I had to cross reference the facilities with Google places, and even now, I still find a few new storage facilities every week.

How much did you pay for your subscription by the way?

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 08:26:12 PM »
I may stand corrected, I won't know for sure until we move into the market and I do my own research. When I was doing my research for the Houston area, I found that more than half of the storage facilities don't advertise in the Yellow Pages. I had to cross reference the facilities with Google places, and even now, I still find a few new storage facilities every week.

How much did you pay for your subscription by the way?

I have two options on my subscription. For 6 months I can pay $60 or for 12 months pay $100. This also includes 3 newspapers a week from The Hart Beat, and a weekly email of all units that advertise with them on their auctions.

xx
Online Self-Storage Auctions Now Legal in New Mexico

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 08:47:18 PM
by Travis
xx
Are online storage auctions legal in Oregon?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post January 29, 2014, 10:35:30 PM
by Travis
xx
Are online storage auctions legal in Indiana?

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 12:11:10 PM
by Travis
xx
Are online storage auctions legal in Georgia?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 08:28:14 AM
by Travis