Storage Auctions

Young Children at Auctions

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Young Children at Auctions
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:04:30 AM »
Come on people this is business not a family outing. leave the young children and infants home.

I'm at an auction yesterday, it's about 40 degrees out with the wind chill making it feel below 30. There's a guy there with an infant in a carrying basket and another dozen or so couples with their under 6-year old kids with them. Now on top of dealing with the 100 or so non-bidding Lookie Loos jamming up the place, there are a couple of dozen kids running around and a crying infant. Half the time you couldn't hear the auctioneer when the auctions were going on.

Maybe it's time to start charging admission to the auctions. It would sure weed out this type of BS so that the serious people can get back to work.

Re: Young Children at Auctions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
I've only seen a handful of kids at the auctions I've been too and it wasn't a problem, but I can imagine if there are too many kids that could become quite the nuisance.

On a side note, I've seen auction notices that state "no children under 16 allowed", but I haven't actually seen it enforced when we get to the auction. It may deter some people, though.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
lol - we had a simular thread back during the summer.  But instead of 40 degree cold you had 100+ degree heat...on top of the pavement.  Just get use to it no matter how much it sucks.  While my daughter sometimes goes with me to auctions she is 13 and knows the rules.

Where kids can be annoying or such - it's the adults that act like the kids that really drive me nuts.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »
I've taken my girls to auctions before.  They are 10 & 11.  Didn't have much of a choice as Grandma (primary babysitter) was outta town and Dad was working.  They had a blast and most everybody enjoyed them.  Of course they are being raised to be polite and are always (yeah right) on their best behavior (in a setting as such) or they know they don't go again. 

My youngest didn't enjoy it much and my eldest......just like her dad....."Mom, did you see blah....blah....blah....."  'shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!' 8)

I think it depends on the kid but more so the parents.  The last auction we went to there was a guy there with about a 4 year old girl.  She was, for the most part, well behaved.  What irked me was her dad didn't bother to 'watch' her.  Often she was getting underfoot of many people.

Heck we had a local auctioneer bring his toddler to one of his sales.....now there was a handful of kid!!
Grin and bear it........

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 02:29:51 PM »
I take my two oldest with me nearly all the time. 10 and 9. They know the rules and they follow them. Sometimes they even point out something I did not see. Problem is though, when they tell me, they say it loud enough for everyone to hear them. Still got to work on that part with them.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »
Im guilty of bringing my kid to the auction but shes 11 and she knows how to behave.  She knows it involves money and it takes money to make money. 

she was quiet as a mouse when I was bidding.  she knows how to turn that switch off then behave and turn it back on to be a wild cat.   ::)

:D

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »
she was quiet as a mouse when I was bidding.  she knows how to turn that switch off

Where can I buy one of those switches and do they also come in adult sizes?

8)

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »
If I took my kids they would be loading the truck, So I don't think they will attend with me... :D :D

We have not seen a lot of kids. But when we do most are well behaved. So no complaints here.

Come on people this is business not a family outing. leave the young children and infants home.

I'm at an auction yesterday, it's about 40 degrees out with the wind chill making it feel below 30. There's a guy there with an infant in a carrying basket and another dozen or so couples with their under 6-year old kids with them. Now on top of dealing with the 100 or so non-bidding Lookie Loos jambing up the place, there are a couple of dozen kids running around and a crying infant. Half the time you couldn't hear the auctioneer when the auctions were going on.

If I encountered that I would be upset too. 

" Now you know why some animals eat their young" ;)

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 07:13:26 AM »
I have been at auctions where the kids were better behaved than the adults.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
Lol Money - is why I take my kids, to load the truck.  Both girls like to "search" boxes and such.  I quickly pointed out to them in order to have fun doing the "hunt" they also have to do the other "work".  As such they help haul trash, load and unload the truck, etc.  My youngest quickly lost interest unless she spots something she likes.  My oldest works her tail off.  Not so much in the cleaning and hauling but at the flea market she sales like mad.

Guess as a parent I have more tolerance for kids at auctions then others do.  It's not till they get real annoying or such that I get a little irked.  Or they just have mouths on them that I'd backhand.  We have one of those at our auctions.  Some home schooled kid that his doctor of a grandfather brings out to these auctions all the time.  Real smart mouth on that kid.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
Older kids that are there to help or even to learn are not the problem. It's the younger out of hand ones that I was venting over, not to mention the crying infant.

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
where i go the auctioner will ask for i d no one under 18 and no smoking and no phones
i like it

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
and no phones

Can't say that I agree with "no phones." Every day conversations maybe, but I've used my phone at an auction to help me quickly determine the value of something before bidding. To me my phone is a tool, not a luxury item.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 06:44:26 PM »
I dont like the no phones or no smoking rule. And before yall start, I smoke away from the crowds. I am a considerate smoker.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
I dont like the no phones or no smoking rule. And before yall start, I smoke away from the crowds. I am a considerate smoker.

Ditto. Though I try to smoke outside the gates before the auction starts and not have to worry about it during the auction.

xx
Children at Auctions

Started by Cobia

35 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 09:09:26 PM
by VinceRN
xx
Should children be allowed at auctions?

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 03:29:08 PM
by Travis