Storage Auctions

Are storage unit auctions destined for eBay?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Are storage unit auctions destined for eBay?
« on: January 01, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »
As companies like sealedonlinebids.com and storagebattles.com fight for market share, some storage facilities have been quietly auctioning off their storage units on eBay. As online storage auctions grow as a trend, one has to wonder if eBay would be the logical choice in this niche. If eBay encouraged this activity, could these smaller companies even compete? Are these online storage auction websites just spinning their wheels until the inevitable occurs?

Re: Are storage unit auctions destined for eBay?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:59:08 AM »
I certainly hope not. I like the whole nutty experience of buying in person.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »
All depends on what the majority of storage unit buyers prefer. I don't like the way online auctions work so I hope they don't catch on.

Buying in person is the best way to determine fair market value.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »
i dont think ebay would allow it. ebay is big on buyers knowing exactly what they are getting. many people used to do like mystery boxes and things like that nad i think ebay did away withthat and a storage unit is essentially mystery box. also those could pretty much be only local shipping as once it cmoes into freight shipping all theprofit from 99% of units is out the window

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
I cant see it happening ,to much nonsense for the sellers

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »
I don't think Ebay would allow it. Ebay is big on buyers knowing exactly what they are getting. Many people used to do like mystery boxes and things like that and I think Ebay did away with that and a storage unit is essentially mystery box.

Half the bidders on Ebay don't read the descriptions anyway. I remember when the Xbox 360 was coming out, people had a picture of the Xbox 360 box and said specifically in the description Auction was for box only. People were bidding four and five hundred dollars for empty boxes. I doubt they got there money back, I've had a couple of Paypal complains against me, one was for a Touch Screen monitor that was 600x800 resolution. The guy complained the screen resolution wasn't detailed as he expected, but I properly stated what it was in my auction, Paypal sided with me. I'm sure the same thing happened to these morons that brought and received empty boxes. They complained to paypal, but the auction clearly stated what they were buying.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
Half the bidders on Ebay don't read the descriptions anyway. I remember when the Xbox 360 was coming out, people had a picture of the Xbox 360 box and said specifically in the description Auction was for box only. People were bidding four and five hundred dollars for empty boxes. I doubt they got there money back, I've had a couple of Paypal complains against me, one was for a Touch Screen monitor that was 600x800 resolution. The guy complained the screen resolution wasn't detailed as he expected, but I properly stated what it was in my auction, Paypal sided with me. I'm sure the same thing happened to these morons that brought and received empty boxes. They complained to paypal, but the auction clearly stated what they were buying.

you definately are right about people not reading when buying. i know what your talking about ive seen people selling pictures of iphones, xboxes, etc pretty much any new hot product that is out. ebay does give people their money back as they generally rule that the purpose of the listing was to be deceptive or something along those lines.

i think the main thing is shipping would make it not profitable for anyone buying for the most part and ebay doesnt have a big enough market for local pickup type stuff to make it worth doing. that said i could see ebay classifieds being used to advertise auctions

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »

you definately are right about people not reading when buying. i know what your talking about ive seen people selling pictures of iphones, xboxes, etc pretty much any new hot product that is out. ebay does give people their money back as they generally rule that the purpose of the listing was to be deceptive or something along those lines.

i think the main thing is shipping would make it not profitable for anyone buying for the most part and ebay doesnt have a big enough market for local pickup type stuff to make it worth doing. that said i could see ebay classifieds being used to advertise auctions

Yea, had a winning bidder after he won realize that the lot he was bidding on was EMPTY DVD cases, even though it said EMPTY in the title, EMPTY in the description! I just canceled the transaction with Ebay, and re-listed.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:17 PM »
Unless if ebay did A spin off site just for storage auctions with different rules then there main site. Yes I think this could work if done in local citys . Great Idea and ebay should look into this.

xx
Original Storage Wars Destined For Cancellation?

Started by Travis

10 Replies
Last post December 18, 2012, 09:46:32 AM
by bwd111
xx
eBay Buying Guide about Storage Auctions

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 02:25:53 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Storage Unit Auctions In Houston, TX