Storage Auctions

Auctioneers taking interest in VirtualStorageAuction.com

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Auctioneers taking interest in VirtualStorageAuction.com
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
Lately, auctioneers have been contacting me about holding their storage auctions on VirtualStorageAuction.com. Since Virtual Storage Auction doesn't charge any fees, auctioneers can post their auction online and collect their commission from the storage facility.

I think auctioneers are an integral part of storage auction and always will be. I'm glad that they're showing interest in the site.  ;D

Re: Auctioneers taking interest in VirtualStorageAuction.com
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »
Could you integrate a live auction with an online auction for auctioneers. What I'm thinking is posting pictures of the lockers, allowing pre-bidding and then live bidding at the time of the auction via phone in or maybe a smart phone app.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »
Could you integrate a live auction with an online auction for auctioneers. What I'm thinking is posting pictures of the lockers, allowing pre-bidding and then live bidding at the time of the auction via phone in or maybe a smart phone app.

Absolutely, that's what some of the auctioneers are considering: Taking photos of the units and allowing inspection and pre-bidding online and then selling the unit to the highest overall bidder.

Some auctioneers have mentioned that they have auctions that are hundreds of miles away from their homes and that it can be extremely inconvenient and expensive for them if the facility only has a couple of units. Having an online auction would allow them to save time & money while still being able to service their client.

2 70 year old auctioneers in Pennsylvania called me on three way yesterday and they want to move all of their live storage auctions to Virtual Storage Auction. They told me they're getting old and prefer the convenience that online storage auctions bring.

That gives me hope. If two 70 year old auctioneers can embrace technology, surely the young whipper snappers can too.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »

That gives me hope. If two 70 year old auctioneers can embrace technology, surely the young whipper snappers can too.  ;D

The thing the young whipper snappers have is cynicism. They think they know it all.. The older generation go on faith.

I like what you're doing with VSA, but I think if you could incorporate both the online and live auction, you'd have a clear edge and something new to bring to the industry. Think of it as a hybrid between auctionzip or liveauctioneers.com and storagebattles. Logistics would be an issue, but with mobile services being just about as good as home services, should be easier to bridge that gap.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
If the auctioneer wants to have the sale online and in-person, he/she can set the online auction to end 1 hour before the live auction begins.

Now, one advantage that online bidders have is time to inspect everything in the unit. They can do research on the value of items they aren't familiar with. This usually results in a higher bid because the buyer has time to consider the unit's value and their potential profit.

On the other hand, the buyers at the live auction have an advantage since they have the final bid. 

I do agree, it would be great if the auction could occur simultaneously. But keep in mind, the main reason we're allowing storage facilities & auctioneers to post their auction online & in-person is to comply with lien laws in some states. We really want them to have their auctions exclusively online and I think we will see more auctioneers using our service especially when more states clarify their lien laws.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
Hmm, I didn't think of lien law issues. It's already great news that auctioneers are seeking out your service. I don't know that SB has made any friends in the auctioneer world, since they're stealing their business, rather than working with them.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
Hmm, I didn't think of lien law issues. It's already great news that auctioneers are seeking out your service. I don't know that SB has made any friends in the auctioneer world, since they're stealing their business, rather than working with them.

Exactly!
Every one of the auctioneer's Ive spoken has a problem with Storage Battles. Why wouldn't they? Storage Battles is taking money out of their pockets.

A lot of thought has gone into Virtual Storage Auction's business model. We know that we need the auctioneer's support to be successful. I welcome auctioneers to use our site. Their expertise will add to the safety and credibility of online storage auctions.

xx
Good example how to resell your storage unit on VirtualStorageAuction.com

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 07:39:51 PM
by Travis
xx
Do's and Don'ts for taking pics

Started by Fantasia

8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2014, 10:59:06 AM
by janette