Storage Auctions

Online Auctions not for me.

Online Auctions not for me.
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:39:12 AM »
I been watching some of the auctions that "Storage Battles" auction site has on it.  To tell you the truth I think that I will stay away from online auctions. The pictures really are crappy. You can't smell what it's like and other people can run up your bid and never intend to pay.  So what happens when you pay for the unit, open it up and find out its crap, but if you seen it in a live auction you would have walked away.

Re: Online Auctions not for me.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »
i dont like online auctions. but i still win them. its like anything else. the crappier the auction, the better the price, so if the picture is horrible(as it often is) get it cheap. I do this often and find out i'd have paid 4x as much if i was there live. I bought a unit for $100 that i would have paid $400 for at the door if it were live. don't get left behind in the digital age, get in now

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
I been watching some of the auctions that "Storage Battles" auction site has on it.  To tell you the truth I think that I will stay away from online auctions. The pictures really are crappy. You can't smell what it's like and other people can run up your bid and never intend to pay.  So what happens when you pay for the unit, open it up and find out its crap, but if you seen it in a live auction you would have walked away.

Sure, you can't smell a unit online, but I think there are pros and cons to both live and online auctions. In all fairness, not all photos are bad. On our site, we have an advanced zoom feature which helps you see into the unit like never before; however, it still requires the storage operator to load quality images for it to work properly. It's powerful enough to read a business card taped to the back wall of a 10' unit. You can't do that with the naked eye. This could come in handy if you need to read the shipping labels on boxes, model numbers on merchandise, etc.

Plus, online auctions allow you time to study a unit and research the value of merchandise before you bid; whereas, live auctions sometimes require you to make impulsive, uninformed decisions. I've purchased several units at live auctions which I never would have bought had I had time to research the merchandise. I've also lost out on some great units at live auctions because, quite frankly, I had no clue what the merchandise was worth and wasn't willing to gamble.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »
Online auctions keep me from OVER BIDDING!!  I set my limit ad that is that...

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »
Won another online auction today..    Saw in it a hand truck (dolly) I thought, always can use an extra one of those..  Well Got there and the blade part was missing.. Guess it makes an okay cart..  Did See a lot of tools... A working persons locker for sure..  Anyway.. in the picture they cut off the end where the blade goes for the dolly..

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:14:05 PM »
yah, but really.a dolly is what, maybe $20 or $30 used? i know what youre saying though. I bid online only because i have to(to feed the beast), i definately like live better. although i've been pleasantly surprised with cheap online lockers because of bad pictures. im about to win 2 more today that are cheap. I'm curious to see whether or not online auctions will become more popular during the colder months.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
yah, but really.a dolly is what, maybe $20 or $30 used?

That's true but if he figured it into the value of the unit, then it's a $20-30 overbid.

xx
The Future of Storage Auctions Has NOT arrived; online auctions will not prevail

Started by MovieMan

45 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 12:12:14 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Online auctions

Started by bwd111

8 Replies
Last post January 04, 2014, 09:58:05 AM
by StorageSnag
moved
MOVED: Online Auctions not for me.