Storage Auctions

Local Goodwill auction~verrry interesting~

Local Goodwill auction~verrry interesting~
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »
So we went to investigate one of our local auctioneers who advertises his Goodwill auctions (twice a week~every week) and it was quite interesting.  Only saw one other locker buyer there.  Prices were dirt cheap and I was shocked at the amount of inventory.  This was mostly an inquiring venture as we had our youngest with us (Spring Break) and brought my SUV rather than the truck, but we saw enough profitability to go back in the future with truck and trailer.

Watched 4 plastic slides (the kind you hook up to large playsets) sell for a buck each.  Heck I probably could have turned them for a minimum $10 each.  I know Don paid upwards of $60 for the one we have and that was 8 years ago.
Very few bidding wars and mostly on electronics and scrap wire/metal.  I was amazed at the speed at which it moved along.

I know this has been discussed here before, but this is a first time for us~
If you have them in your area, could be a valuable place to pick up additional merchandise until the glamor  of storage locker buying wears off~ ;)

Re: Local Goodwill auction~verrry interesting~
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
Lately, most of my buying has been at Goodwill auctions, but I've also learned that the quality of the auction varies GREATLY from location to location.

It truly comes down to who is putting it together and how well they know their bidders.

We've checked out auctions at maybe a dozen Goodwill locations, but only one is worth attending on a regular basis, so I do suggest everyone check their's out, but be prepared to be disappointed.

Our auction is 90% regulars who show up weekly and are reselling. The rest is usually one-timers or occassional attendees who are shopping.

Sadly, we are losing our guy who runs the auctions to another Goodwill location in May and I am concerned about the quality of the auctions going forward. We'll see.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »
I've yet to see the Goodwill in our area have an auction.  I'll have to call and ask I guess.  Actually starting to run low on some inventory.  Of course my luck I'd buy back stuff I've donated to Goodwill ;)

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:49:45 PM »
  Of course my luck I'd buy back stuff I've donated to Goodwill ;)

Mine too. LOL

I looked it up a few months ago, Don't think I found one locally.

We have a regular store and a bulk store, Large bins that you dig through (have not been in a while).

Will have to look into again.

Rockin sounds like the box lot we went too. I surly want miss that one again.  :D

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »
We have a regular store and a bulk store, Large bins that you dig through (have not been in a while).

Will have to look into again.

This is actually considered a Goodwill Outlet and everything is priced by the pound ($1.39/lb.).

My wife and I went once and will go again, but it was a little scary. When they bring out new bins, people will line up like black friday and jump in like pigs at the trough. They start digging in, throwing things around and you just hear the stuff breaking. The ultimate commentary for me was when I realized how many of these people were wearing gloves!!!

There are ultimate bargains to be had, but be prepared!! If you thought storage auctions were competetive... at least you don't worry about catching an accidental elbow!!

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
I've yet to see the Goodwill in our area have an auction.  I'll have to call and ask I guess.  Actually starting to run low on some inventory.  Of course my luck I'd buy back stuff I've donated to Goodwill ;)

Really, I always chuckle when I see stuff on the shelves I donated.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »

My wife and I went once and will go again, but it was a little scary. When they bring out new bins, people will line up like black friday and jump in like pigs at the trough. They start digging in, throwing things around and you just hear the stuff breaking. The ultimate commentary for me was when I realized how many of these people were wearing gloves!!!

There are ultimate bargains to be had, but be prepared!! If you thought storage auctions were competetive... at least you don't worry about catching an accidental elbow!!

;D Forgot about that but you are right, get out of the way when the new bins come out. LOL

xx
Interesting advertising for auction tomorrow

Started by T.R. Hunter

3 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 02:37:00 PM
by auctionguy
xx
Our Local Auction

Started by bulldogmom

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 11:00:58 PM
by monkeybusiness