Storage Auctions

Resale from shop to shop

Resale from shop to shop
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »
 Back when I was a young-in, my first vehicle was a beat up old pickup. Every Saturday morning it was my ritual to hit all of the new tire stores in my area. I'd sometimes pay $2-3 as a token for each used tire they had replaced, some places would just give them to me for free to avoid paying to dispose of them. In the afternoon when my truck was overflowing, I'd drive 30 miles up to a used tire shop in the city where I was paid $5-8 each for them.

I wish I could take credit for the idea but it was my aunt's. Maybe it was something people did back in the day. Regardless, as gas prices went up and I found ways of making better money on the weekends, I stopped doing it. Just curious if anyone else does something like this, recycling one shops junk and selling it to another.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: Resale from shop to shop
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
Our shop just lets a guy come dig thru tire pile.
Every tire he takes is a tire we don't have to pay disposal of...

Closest I've come is in college we would go at night to the aluminum manufacturing plant and sweep up all the shavings from around dumpter.  They loved it.  They PAID to have it taken away so every bit we took was money saved and they didnt have to clean it up.

We could get several hundred dollars worth in under an hour.

But then recyclers started paying for it and we were told to stop.

Then we went to Boeing surplus store where you could buy 100lb blocks of aluminum for $75.  Recyclers paid $100 to (at one point) $137 for it.    Boeing caught on after a while and changed price to just below spot.    Wasn't worth it then when adding in gas and time.

xx
If you could, would you open a resale shop?

Started by Travis

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2015, 01:24:33 PM
by alloro
xx
Is running a resale shop the best way to maximize your return?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post August 13, 2014, 01:18:30 PM
by Travis
xx
Have you ever sold anything to a pawn shop?

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 10:04:28 AM
by Alias300
xx
Where is the Haff Ton Pawn Shop?

Started by Travis

14 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 09:01:12 PM
by Travis