Storage Auctions

Automobiles in Florida Auctions

Automobiles in Florida Auctions
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:29:40 PM »
Does anyone KNOW the laws regarding auto's bought at storage auctions without title (parts only)?  Specifically is it possible to title them?   A lot of the local auctioneers are not messing with trying to find lien holders, etc and just selling parts only no matter the condition to save the headache.   I would not mind buying some of these but cannot seem to find a straight answer on if I could ever get it titled again and sell it.  I would like cold hard facts here not someone in CA telling me how they do it.    Thanks.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
Re: Automobiles in Florida Auctions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »
Go talk to your local DMV.
Though you might want to talk to several. Willing to bet they tell you only the storage facilities have the right, or give you some BS, just not to have to do the paper work.
If you have a "in" to be able to do this more than once I'd also suggest paying an attorney for a consult.
Few hundred dollars might save you a lot of headaches, speed things up and save you money in the long run.

Quick google search got me......

file a lien on the vehicle. Find an Application for Notice of Lien at the website of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles: hsmv.state.fl.us/forms/lien.html. Call the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles at (850) 922-9000 or your local tag agency for more information. Tag agency contact information can be found at hsmv.state.fl.us/offices/

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »
The app looks similar to all I've seen.

Just remember, your signing a government document stating the owner owed you money.
So you better be able to prove it. Storage locker price, storage, towing....whatever.
And a public notice wouldn't be a bad idea.

Like I said, an attorney consult may be s good investment.

Miss the good'ol days when hou could just apply for ownership. Fill out a form. DMV sends notice. If no responce they transfer title!
But then people started putting in requests for cars that people were on long vacations or in military or otherwise not home for several months....   

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
Been to several auctions here in Fl. with cars.

When an auction company running sale they usually have the paper work for re title, or know for sure that it can't be titled.

Privately run auctions parts only. Will have to ask my husband some kind of clause you can file, can't remember what it is called. Will post when I get his answer.

Saw one sold with a complete van, and a lot of other parts, Sold as parts only, a few of the regulars knew how to title the the van.  (Sorry Alzheimer moment)

Mostly when they say parts only they just don't want to deal with the paper work, they do have to check and make sure their our no bank liens.
It does take time so you have to be willing to sit on it while you do the paper work.

xx
Automobiles at Storage Auctions

Started by Travis

12 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 07:47:01 PM
by Travis
xx
Florida Storage Auctions

Started by Travis

7 Replies
Last post September 11, 2014, 06:20:00 AM
by Travis