Storage Auctions

Can you get arrested for buying a storage unit?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Can you get arrested for buying a storage unit?
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:37:19 PM »
I've been pondering this possibility. Say you win the auction and end up finding stuff like illegal drugs or stolen weapons, etc. Being the good citizens we all are, we would of course call in the police to take possession of it, right? The dilemma is that I technically just bought illegal drugs, weapons, or whatever and am also the one in legal possession of them since I am the current tenant for the unit.

I have no doubts of beating such a rap in a court of law, but am more concerned with the moment at hand when the police show up. Can they legally arrest the one that won the auction?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Can you get arrested for buying a storage unit?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:15 PM »

I have no doubts of beating such a rap in a court of law, but am more concerned with the moment at hand when the police show up. Can they legally arrest the one that won the auction?

I doubt it would come to that; after all the buyer of the lkr made the purchase in good faith and if the buyer has a history with the property mgr and/or auctioneer it wouldn't be a stretch to have them speak on your behalf in that regard.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:53:13 AM »
Don't think you could be liable unless you take it home and smoke,snort or shoot it.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »
If you have no intent to sell or distribute said contents and you dispose of them properly as soon as possible you probably have nothing to worry about.

I would think the most dangerous time for having possession of these items is during transport. A routine traffic stop could turn into a bad day if nowingly in possession of illegal items. That is why I don't sort at the storage unit. It's plausible deniability. I did not know it was in there. Here is my reciept showing I just purchased the contents from auction. If law enforcement wants to take it further and make an arrest, then I just keep my mouth shut and let my attorney handle the rest. Unfortunately, if you pre-sorted and found drugs and then loaded them into your vehicle anyway and get stopped, you are going to have a hard time talking your way out of that pickle.

I know another storage auction buyer who doesn't want the hassle for that reason and pre-sorts at the units. When he find drugs he just tosses it up on the roof of the storage building. LOL!

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:40:07 AM »

When he find drugs he just tosses it up on the roof of the storage building. LOL!

I tried that with an old matress, didnt end well!

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
For the most part the answer is no.  If you find contraband you just call the local police to come and do a recovered property.  They give you a receipt for the items and take them to be destroyed or what not.  They will ask you a few questions, take down your driver license #, etc. and that be it.  I had to do that recently for a bunch of SSN cards and 5 credit cards from the same bank but different names.  None of them matched the last name of the unit renter.  I do suggest keep good records if you purchase multiple units.  I write down the date, place, and unit # on each box I pull out of a unit.  That way if I find something I can seperate that stuff from my other units.

The big issue would be if you had "BOXES" of drugs and such.  I always take a quick look in boxes and bins even if don't dig right away for that.

If you are worried call your local police department.  They can give you guidelines.  Unless you have an arrest record for drugs or such the average citizen is pretty well covered.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »
  alloro
  Here in Taxachusettes I wouldn't put anything past the local Law.                                  Ex.  If You find an empty  22 cal shell , and they find it in Your Possession , thats good for 1 yr.  of Free room and Board .    >:(
Several years ago , our storage locker in Holliston was broken into along with about 8 others , the police were only concerned with checking the units for drugs ,                     " because , no one randomly breaks into lockers , they must of known something was here , just not sure which one it was in "
  Must of been a really dumb dog , he didn't find the containers of fire works .    ;D
Bandit

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
If You find an empty 22 cal shell, and they find it in Your Possession, thats good for 1 yr. of Free room and Board .

Seriously? I guess it's time to get rid of that live .38 that's been sitting atop my desk for the better part of 15 years.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »
   I get a chuckle when I see the rifle bullets made into key chains  they sell at flea markets .

Carrying Ammunition
A person who is carrying ammunition for a weapon but does not have the license to do so faces up to two years in jail or a maximum $500 fine for a first offense, as stated in Chapter 269.10(h)(1) of of the Massachusetts Statutes. A second violation carries a jail sentence of up to two years in jail and a fine capped at $1,000. An officer of the law is permitted to arrest a person suspected of having ammunition unlawfully without a warrant.
  Ps
  Make sure You empty Your pockets before flying to any Auctions .    ;D
     possession of ammunition in the Logan airport per Chapter 90.61 of the Massachusetts Statutes. A person who unlawfully possesses ammunition in the Logan airport faces a maximum fine of $25,000 and a possible jail term of up to two years in a local prison.
   No Firearm Required  , just a 22 shell will do it .    ::)
Pps
  Don't worry , I can have My pockets Bulging anytime , and usually do .    8)
Bandit

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 02:38:00 AM »
Don't worry, I can have My pockets Bulging anytime, and usually do.

In that case, you'd be wise to stay away from mens locker rooms. ;)

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 06:59:43 AM »
   I get a chuckle when I see the rifle bullets made into key chains  they sell at flea markets .

Carrying Ammunition
A person who is carrying ammunition for a weapon but does not have the license to do so faces up to two years in jail or a maximum $500 fine for a first offense, as stated in Chapter 269.10(h)(1) of of the Massachusetts Statutes. A second violation carries a jail sentence of up to two years in jail and a fine capped at $1,000. An officer of the law is permitted to arrest a person suspected of having ammunition unlawfully without a warrant.
  Ps
  Make sure You empty Your pockets before flying to any Auctions .    ;D
     possession of ammunition in the Logan airport per Chapter 90.61 of the Massachusetts Statutes. A person who unlawfully possesses ammunition in the Logan airport faces a maximum fine of $25,000 and a possible jail term of up to two years in a local prison.
   No Firearm Required  , just a 22 shell will do it .    ::)
Pps
  Don't worry , I can have My pockets Bulging anytime , and usually do .    8)
Bandit

Different laws for different states. I have seen ammunition for sale at flee markets here. There is on guy set up every Tuesday at one of them. As long as he is not selling guns they will let him be.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »
Boxlot
   Feel free to visit us here in Mass. but Please leave Your Sling Shots and Rubber Nun Chucks in Pa. , I would rather chat with You here , then in person while You were " Staying " Locally .   ;D
  I have a friend from the USCG that lives in Pa. next to a State Shooting Range , while at a sportsmens banquet and sitting with the Mass. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Commissioner , I asked Him why We couldn't do something like that here in Mass. .   
  I can't repeat his answer after he wiped off his tie .   LOL
 Bandit
knife-expert.com/ma.txt

Also take Your Machete out of the trunk , as my local Yahoo State Representative has been filing every year for the last 4 yrs. , a bill banning the possession  and ownership of a Machete . 
  Those requiring one for clearing brush etc. would have to obtain a permit and pay a fee .
  When this idiot sees Me coming , at any town functions on the common , he heads for the Porta Potty
freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1960194/posts
spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29065

So far it has been " delayed " in Committee every year  ;D

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 12:05:16 AM »
Have those of you in Massachusetts considered leaving?  Here in Washington (generally very liberal) any law abiding citizen can get a concealed carry permit and the same is true in about 40 states.  Over 30 states, including mine, allow private party gun sales.  Here in WA if I get I gun in a unit I just have to make sure it isn't stolen, then I can sell it.

Jail for carrying a spent shell casing?  Really?  Get out fast!

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
yeah i live in il the land of dickhead durbin, dickhead daley, etc. we have the worst gun laws in teh country. i think wi recently passed though stricter than most a ccw permit or something like that. now IL I believe is the only 1 of the 50 states that has no ccw. i have a few buddies and family members who have them but its special circumstance permits they run lg amounts of money for their business or church.

xx
Sad state of storage unit buying

Started by Majblade2

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 10:25:43 AM
by bwd111
xx
Is buying storage units bad Karma?

Started by Travis

13 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 01:43:31 AM
by UdyRegan