Storage Auctions

Any Californians ever been to Dave Hester's consignment shop or thrift store?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Just wondering if anyone has been to Newport Consignment Gallery or Rags to Riches Thrift Store?
I used to live in Laguna Beach and in Costa Mesa, but I have never seen either of these places. The consignment gallery looks huge on their website.

Dave Hester is a made up character just for reality TV.  What you see on that website took weeks for a Hollywood prop department to create!

YEAP!!

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
I wouldn't do business with him just because he's such a douche lol

I wouldn't do business with him just because he's such a douche lol

One of the guys on our regular runs went down to CA for a couple of weeks and went to some auctions and met him at an auction.  He said he was actually pretty decent in person.  They weren't filming any shows when he was there.  He also met Jerrod at another auction.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
One of the guys on our regular runs went down to CA for a couple of weeks and went to some auctions and met him at an auction.  He said he was actually pretty decent in person.  They weren't filming any shows when he was there.  He also met Jerrod at another auction.

Your probably right thats probably more an act for the show. I still don't like him though lol.

It is a real store, and he does this for a living.
Yeah he is also a person on the show, and we all know what kind of person he is on the show.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
I wonder why he calls it Newport Consignment when it's located in Costa Mesa. I used to be in real estate appraisal and my guess is that even though the two cities are right next to each other, Newport is a more prominent location.

I wonder why he calls it Newport Consignment when it's located in Costa Mesa. I used to be in real estate appraisal and my guess is that even though the two cities are right next to each other, Newport is a more prominent location.

His old location was in Newport, when he had to exspand, they moved to the building they are in now.
They kept the old name, as i understand 100%. 

One of my Techs that works L.A. and S.D. area stops by there on a regular basis, and has made some really great buys there. He hasn't ever met Dave YEEEEEEEAP! Hester at least not yet.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Good answer Mr. A, I didn't know that.

Re: Any Californians ever been to Dave Hester's consignment shop or thrift store?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:33:18 AM »
yes.. I have been many times.. He used to have shelves with nick nacky stuff and then he cleared all that out to put "high" end stuff in.. The prices are WAY OVER what they should be and I think he just prices things to see if some smuck will come in and pay for them. I also remember seeing that stupid rock collection and he had it priced super high at retail if not more. He also has "art work" on display on the walls that is cheap imitations and tries to get top dollar for that too. Mind you I visited his stores many times before I EVER saw him on the show and thought all these things before hand. Now knowing what I know you couldn't PAY me to shop there.. i think he is an ass on the show and I have NO respect for someone with the character he displays despite it being for TV I would imagine the character is not far from the truth. I also think his store is a sham for the prices he charges.. I'd rather spend my time at a good ol' fashion thrift store that actually goes to a charity then to line this jerks pockets..

Re: Any Californians ever been to Dave Hester's consignment shop or thrift store?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 03:25:42 AM »
Ya i been there. Its pretty big actually. An ^ is completely right about the pricing. However to his credit newport beach has to be on the top 5 list for richest communities so his clients prolly wouldnt notice. I wanna see jarrod and bradys place tho. They make me feel like if they could run a successful turn around shop i certainly could. May be a future endevour.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 04:58:29 AM »
However to his credit newport beach has to be on the top 5 list for richest communities so his clients prolly wouldnt notice.

His place is in Costa Mesa which is next to Newport Neach. Even though they are both beach front communities, the median family income differs drastically. I lived there for about 6 months before I moved to Laguna.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:19:13 AM »
Im not a big orange county connosuer but i gather its mainly over 40 an retirement communities. I would up there by happen stance comin bak from san diego

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
There are a lot of retirees in Newport but there are mainly just a lot of wealthy people there. You can't buy a run down house for less than a million dollars in Newport.

Cost Mesa on the other hand has it's nicer sections but they have a lot of middle class as well. You can buy property as low as a half a million dollars there, which might sound like a lot but it's actually the average value of homes in California.

Newport has a lot of property that is actually on the beach and the marina. Costa mesa has no beach front property except for strip centers and restaurants.

xx
Thrift Store Going Out Of Business

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 02:10:26 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
I have a thrift store in sa texas

Started by khiller

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 01:49:39 AM
by jrossjr79