Storage Auctions

Auction Hunters is FAKE!!!

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
Re: Auction Hunters is FAKE!!!
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
  I just found a reference ( and link ) to the RC Jet mentioned above in another forum , so the word on how fake the show is , is getting around .
Bandit

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
  I just found a reference ( and link ) to the RC Jet mentioned above in another forum , so the word on how fake the show is , is getting around .
Bandit
What AH  needs to do is take lesson from Barry wise on SW and mimic rocky movie. Then the show would be more real!. All the TV show are scripted and are for entertainment purposes only. The networks have an obligation to the people who pay there bills and that's the advertisers.

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2012, 08:19:50 PM »
i have to ask about the episode that the antique black powder pistol ton shot chain fired, i have to say if you have seen a certain episode of pawn stars you know how they used to prevent that back in the day.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
i have to ask about the episode that the antique black powder pistol to shot chain fired, i have to say if you have seen a certain episode of pawn stars you know how they used to prevent that back in the day.

I haven't seen that episode.
But I'd say load properly and keep your side arm clean....

If they said to load it with grease, like Cisco, they are giving poor advice. That seems to be the age old advice.  In the long run that's going to create cross firing and eventually make your fire arm not function at all (untill you clean it, that is)
Don't get me wrong. It works.  And for AH test firing, where your only shooting a few rounds, should have been used but there are better ways.

Yeah....grew up next door to an old cowboy sort that loved his black powder.....remember sitting over fire melting lead and pouring into casts...at 7yrs old.   The good old days.   No worries of CPS then.....    ;D 

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
Storage hunters, watching that right now, they keep talking about being able to research the owner, name, job, hobbies? does this actually happen in the real world?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »
Storage hunters, watching that right now, they keep talking about being able to research the owner, name, job, hobbies? does this actually happen in the real world?

We talked about that in a thread here I believe. The consensus is if you live in a small town, then researching the names may give you some insight into WHY they lost the unit, but should not be used necessarily to assume the quality of the contents inside the storage unit.

In a small town there might only be 1 john fuller and 3 jake smiths, mid size to large cities you might have 10 john fullers and 50 jake smiths so figuring out who is who is impossible thus a waste of time.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2012, 03:08:55 PM »
Although it may not come as a huge surprise that "reality" TV is somewhat contrived, Auction Hunters has taken it to a new level that places the entire industry in doubt.

Auction Hunters premiered on November 9, 2010 on Spike (formerly Spike TV).  The show follows Allen Haff and Clinton "Ton" Jones, as they participate in storage unit auctions throughout Southern California. The pair leads viewers through the process of bidding on and winning abandoned storage units, appraising the items found within, and selling the most lucrative and interesting pieces to experts or collectors for awesome profits.

Great concept, and the show is entertaining, the only problem being the show is completely fake.  And I mean 100% phony.

The show is co-hosted by Allen Haff and Clinton "Ton" Jones who are paid actors under contract to Spike who earn their money through TV contracts, not junk dealing.

Allen Haff is an actor best known for his roles as; Police Officer #1 in the made for TV movie Washington Field, Yacht guest #1 in CSI Miami and even the lead role in the 2001 blockbuster hit, Rodentz.

Clinton Jones made a career for himself playing security guards and bikers in the late 2000's.  Jones also starred in 3 episodes of the shortlived documentary I was Bitten, in which he appeared as an "expert" animal wrangler, back in 2008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the hosts are actors, end of story, right?  Actually it gets worse;  The Blatant breaking of The Sherman Act of 1890 and "bid rigging".

Bid rigging is the result of a conspiracy between two or more participants entered into for the purpose of artificially affecting auction prices. The parties' agreement to the scheme is the necessary keystone to establish a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act. Here are two important points about bid rigging that are not commonly known.First, a violation of the Sherman Act does not occur when a rigged bid is executed in an auction. The law is broken at the moment the conspiracy was formed by the co-conspirators. The Sherman Act outlaws a conspiracy made "in restraint of trade or commerce." The statute is triggered upon the parties' making an agreement to do what is impermissible, and it does not require execution of the plan.

Second, it is not necessary for the conspiracy to succeed for the Sherman Act to be violated. Again, the violation occurs immediately upon the parties making an agreement that is prohibited by law. If two or more would-be bidders conspire to depress bidding in an auction, they have violated the act even if their plan fails. Likewise, if an auctioneer and a shill, or a seller and an accomplice, conspire to artificially boost prices in an auction, a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act has occurred regardless of whether they gain a higher selling price.

Upon conviction, the statute provides for a "fine not exceeding $100,000,000 if a corporation, or, if any other person, $1,000,000, or by imprisonment not exceeding 10 years.

The Sherman Act is clearly broken in one episode where hosts Allen Haff and Clinton "Ton" Jones use the phrase "Drop the unit on him", where they deliberately inflate the unit's price to $950.00 and then stop bidding. 

As employee's of Spike TV, Allen Haff and Clinton "Ton" Jones are not liable, however Spike TV is guilty of breaking The Sherman Antitrust Act as the corporation that hired and promoted the activity. Spike TV should be getting a 100 million dollar fine.  Wait!  It's fake remember, so Spike will never see such a fine, proving this show is nothing more than a "show" and not reality.

In this horrific economy, everyone is trying new ways to make money for their families and Spike TV has taken full advantage of this by producing shows which falsely imply money can be easily made by buying and selling junk.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »
The source for most of what bwd "said" in post 96 above is at the link shown below:

westcoasttruth.com/spike-tvs-auction-hunters-is-fake.html

« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »
they found a cannon, i so shocked :o

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
they found a cannon, i so shocked :o

Cannon, smannon....after THAT they found a Russian motorcycle WITH a sidecar !

« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2012, 11:36:57 PM »
Nope, not fake.  Modified reality though.  See this thread.

http://storageauctionforums.com/index.php?topic=581.0

Although giving the impression of a reality show, Auction Hunters is actually presented by actors which leads Russell Scott of The West Coast Truth to conclude that the auctions presented in the show are actually staged affairs.
Although giving the impression of a reality show, Auction Hunters is actually presented by actors which leads Russell Scott of The West Coast Truth to conclude that the auctions presented in the show are actually staged affairs.

:o

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2012, 05:44:35 AM »
My friend is the actual owner of the soviet bike used in the show. It was rented.for $600 and he has recept to prove it. He bought the bike from the owner who rented it to the show. The owner had it for 10 years,restored ot and eventually sold it to my friend... No barn find as we have import papers and all...The show is a total fake.

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2012, 07:43:53 PM »
okay, here is the skinny on these shows. The only thing real in the show is the auction process, bidding and the people in the background of course. I have been in this industry for a long time and can tell you that 99% of the items you see are items placed in there. Here is how it goes. Camera crew arrives and stages around in the office. The reality stars vehicles are trucked in on flatbeds. Real bidders are told to act normal as if the cameras are not around. Auctioneer comes out states the rules and camera crew follows. After bidding is completed then the magic begins. Items are removed from the production truck and are stagged in another unit around the locked that was won. After the planted items are placed inside the the contents from the unit are moved into the donated unit. Thus begins the filming and the OMG! look what I have here. Sorry to spoil it for those who believe this is real. I witnessed this first hand at my place. Sorry folks. Real auctions are boring, If a real auction was being filmed it would not last two episodes. :o

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
Humm you may want to pay a little bit closer attention to the Show, as Barry regularly loses money on his lockers and they have shown all of them losing money on their lockers.

Auction Hunters? I will agree they only show the great lockers and it is not too close to reality, however Storage Wars seems to be a bit more real. JMO!!!!!

Not real money, fake money.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »
I'm just waiting for the episode when they find a lost Rembrandt or the pistol used to assassinate Lincoln.  ::)

xx
Storage Hunters UK - Real or Fake?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2015, 06:10:54 PM
by auctionguy
xx
Auction Hunters & Storage Hunters Recaps

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2014, 02:40:17 AM
by Travis