Storage Auctions

Storage Wars New York Season 1...January, 2013....Reviews

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Storage Wars New York Season 1...January, 2013....Reviews
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
Back with some comments after I watch the first episode.

Storage Wars New York, Premiere episodes, January 1, 2013

The players:

The Legend, The Loudmouth, The Conscience, The Flame, The Firecracker, The Hustler

Loudmouth and Conscience (partners?), The Flame and The Firecracker (partners).

Brooklyn…Moshie’s Self Storage

Locker #1

The ooh’s and ahh’s sound like someone held up a cue-card prompting a response !

First lkr is tumbled down, maybe an art gallery leftovers. Goes to $1K in nothing flat.
Sells at $1500 to the Legend (Joe P).

Locker #2

Two totes and 3 black garbage bags. Loudmouth plans on bidding up the girls.
Candy gets it at $155 ( Candy is The Firecracker…red hair).

Locker #3

Lock cutter breaks the bolt cutters !  Goes quickly to $500 and sells to Tad for $525.

Joe’s art locker has semi-professional art, metal table (artsy-fartsy), photography on canvas. He spent $1500 and thinks it’s worth…$16,000.  One of the art pieces is worth $7,000.

Girl’s lkr has the totes and 3 garbage bags…..shoes in black boxes, maybe $10 a pair.
First tote…bustier, leather shorts…no dance pole though. Tap shoes.  Change their outfits and go to a Broadway performer….he know the tap shoes and says they are worth….$2,000 if they were owned by Liza Minelli…BUT…probably not and therefore worth…$80 to $100.

The two guys walk their dog down the hall…ever see THAT at one of your auctions? I haven’t.  So far junk.

The guys find a TEC infrared BBQ grill…new (take it to an appraiser) or do what we do…look it up on eBay. They put some steaks on the grill… EXPERT SAYS…..$1675…online with shipping. I’ll look it up on eBay.

That's episode one.....pretty much like the original series...new faces, new places, same inflation rate.  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Storage Wars New York Season 1...January, 2013....Reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:34:29 PM »
Episode #2….Harlem.

Mike (the Hustler) says he’s a storage day trader…flips it fast.

Joe (the Legend) says he used to buy 20 to 50 “rooms” a week. Is that even possible?

Cameraman and editor show butt shots of the girls walking…classy!

Lkr #1

Pile of crap…bet it goes for $200; we’ll see.  Dorm room chic. Girls think vintage clothes. Sells for $125 to the girls…maybe about right.

Lkr #2

Joe the Legend uses a BLACK LIGHT to check the clothes for cleanliness ! That’s a first.  Goes for $225 to Joe P. “I’ve been Joe peed !”

Girls get:  purple cube fridge, leather bag ($10), shoes, leather jacket (yellow and pink), commercial break and when we come back something fantastic in a black garbage bag !

Lkr #3

Cameraman and everyone else looks up one of the girl’s dresses….more class act !

Mike looks like a serious contender on this one…we’ll see. It starts at $500..goes for $700 to Mike. “A true hustler’s” locker he says.

Mike finds….a diary…his help reads it, bullhorn ($75 ?), black computer towers (2) and an avanlanche ensues. He gets a massage table..says they’re big money.

Joe Peet looks at his locker and sees….the usual..he wants a score. He finds binocs he thinks are good…even on tv I can see they are straight-throughs…no prisms…says cheapies to me.

The girls get an expert to look at the mink…they thought as much as $200. Expert says it’s from 70s to 80s vintage. No designer label. Coat worth (she says)….$3,000…even with a lot of fur showing through the inside seams…Yeah Baby…Storage Wars lives up to its rep.

The binocs….expert says….$1,000. This is just ridiculous unless he knows something I don’t. The expert was wearing prismatics around his neck and these were non-prismatic. Any binoc experts here in the forum?

Mike the hustler takes some pearls to an expert…value estimated at $225 for three pieces.
Goes to Steve’s tattoo shop and gets $250 and a touch up on his tattoo for the two pieces of  massage equipment.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:58:28 PM »
Good Job with the review.......you just saved me an hour out of my life that I don't need to waste on that show now! :-*

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »
You're welcome !  It's just more of the same as I said. I'll continue to watch them, but don't know if I'll review them. The estimated values are still out of line...the characters are somewhat interesting, but....?

Next on their plate...the Florida edition. With all those retirees down there the values are going to go sky high !

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »
Well, I kind of liked it. Maybe it's because I'm 1/8 Italian. But there are a few things that didn't make sense.

The one eyed dog was too big to be carried around.

Is Tad gay?

Candy & Courtney just bought a cheap van, how did they move their merchandise before that...the subway? Not only that, in the first episode, everyone acted like they had never seen these two before.

Surely Chris & Tad don't take cab rides to every auction, that could cost hundreds a day. Besides that, what do they move their merchandise in? Do they rent a truck?

I can hear the PETA people now...don't watch Storage Wars New York, they advocate wearing fur.

In what world do 6 year old untested desktops without monitors and other accessories bring $200?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »
It's not reality TV unless you take something to an "appraiser" to get information and valuation. I have to admit, I have found a few things I have thought about taking to experts to get appraised, but then I said to myself, nah, just look it up on Ebay! I still have a few things floating around I couldn't quite find a comparison to on Ebay, and I guess it's possible I have sold something for $50 thats worth $250 or $500 but I'm sure that doesn't happen very often.

On the flip side, I have seen things sell for a couple of hundred dollars on Ebay, and then when I list my like item it only sells in the twenty-five to fifty dollar range anyway or sits in my booth and dosen't sell at all. Some people or just better at marketing thier products then others and getting top dollar. I've got a lot more to learn about this business.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 09:14:11 AM »
fyi parking in manhattan is a ***** and a paid spot in a lot is going to run at least 10$ an hour and theres a surcharge for vans trucks bringit to around 20-25$ if your there for an hour
add in the tolls figure its around another $13 or so to get in and out of the city and gas on top of all that

subways and cabs would be the way to go , go back with the truck if and when you buy something

not to mention in a lot of parts of the city its nearly as fast to walk as it is to drive

parking tickets are over $100 if i remember correctly

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
We did a review of the show with a few callers today and 1 out of ten people like the show. It was as bad as barter kings as one person described the show. If you seen one storage show youve seen them all as another person describe show.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »
We did a review of the show with a few callers today and 1 out of ten people like the show.

I guess I'm the 1 out of ten. Does that make me the one with taste or the idiot? Don't answer that!  ???

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
they finally got them up online

well now that ive seen them , I dont think they were any more or less entertaining that any of the others

i have seen joe at a couple auctions but not in years around here

ive been to one of the auctioneers auctions too and i must say he looks a lot more enthusiastic here in the show than he did at uhaul selling off crap at 50-100 a room

the crowd actually looked kind of small for what i would expect in manhattan or brooklyn

there have always been lots of ooohs and ahs when they open lockers here event if its just a trash bag (sarcasm runs rampant in new york)

locker prices looked cheaper than i was expecting and thats about what they were running before the tv shows
(expect to see more 5x5s and 5x10 in this franchise than any other)

i like the redhead better than brandy

Ive been to many auctions where a couple of people brought their dogs and no one cared a whole lot ( i have not seen it at all since the crowds blew up though)

joe p from what i have heard has been doing this a long time and 20+ rooms a week is not a stretch for 20 years ago., Most of the old timers i talk to all had certain locations where there would be next to no turnout and buy every room in the place

note to phil on the banana yellow van , i dont know what they paid for it but they are going 1500+ regardless of mileage and to get any van for under 3000 your getting high mileage , or old , or needing major repairs , you can get a deal if you shop but expect to look for a while (junked my 91 chevy 20 shortbox van last year got $475 for it ) the price of scrap is high and vans dont come cheap here

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 11:43:56 AM »
Just watched the shows and here are a few observations questions I have.

I know the answer to some of these questions is it's TV, it has to be entertaining.

Mike took everything out of a 5 x 5 room of value and sold the rest to someone for $500?  :o

Why are they telling each other what kind of rooms they do and don't bid on? Just allows them to run each other up?  ???

It's interesting to see different bidders who all have a "niche" room they are looking for, but they all were passing on rooms with money.

Chris - Who cares who is bidding against you? Bid as high as you want and quit! (I got Joe P.'d! LOL!) Funny watching Chris trying to figure out who was bidding against him, and Tad too!  :D

Chris & Tad - seasoned vets, or first day on the job? Bidding against each other is "doubling down"??, I call it a newbie goof up  :-[

Chris - stop smelling everything! Gross!

So Joe P. gets $1000 dollars for binoculars with fogged lenses? hmmm, I have the same bird identification book he was flipping through.

Candy & Courtney have to take their fur coat to a vintage clothing expert? I thought they WERE the vintage clothing experts? Another first day on the job duo?

Joe P. "I don't do flea markets!" Then WTF were you doing with all the stuff from your buying 20 units a day business??  :-\

Candy - Thanks for wearing that thin summer dress with no bra!  :-*

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking that they cast a couple of real buyers and added the other 4 as filler. Candy, Courtney, Chris & Tad obviously have very little experience buying storage units.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 10:07:30 PM »
Only saw the last 10 minutes of one of the two new episodes tongiht (1/8/2013) but will catch them later on reruns.

I did see the two girls get an estimate on an Icom Ic7000 ham radio. Expert said $1K.  Checked eBay. New ones for $1200 but one  sold at $1K and another was at $600 with a few days left.

Have already decided I won't spend as much time on reviewing any of the shows. Interest is waning for me.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 12:39:26 AM »
Have already decided I won't spend as much time on reviewing any of the shows. Interest is waning for me.

What? That's pure madness man ...snap out of it. You've been chronicling Storage Wars since day 1. Now get out your remote control, hit play and pretend to be Roger Ebert. ;)

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 03:51:55 PM »
my observations on the shore thing episode 3

I have never gone to jersey for an auction so I cant say for sure BUT I have never been to any auction where 90-95% of the crowd was white

ham radio looks like a plant  so does the rolex

xx
Storage Wars Reviews, Spring, 2013

Started by MovieMan

9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 10:42:22 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Storage Wars Season 3.....Part 2...Winter 2012, Episode Reviews

Started by MovieMan

8 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 08:57:48 AM
by Cobia
xx
Storage Wars New York...new season start date !

Started by MovieMan

2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 10:36:25 PM
by Alias300
xx
Storage Wars Season 6 Season Finale

Started by Travis

20 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 02:44:53 AM
by Henry