Storage Auctions

10 x 30 ..... Lots of Stuff !

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
10 x 30 ..... Lots of Stuff !
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:21 AM »
Here are some pics and details on the locker I bought for $1,900 on May 9, 2012. Details of the auction itself
are in the Auction Scene...May, 2012 thread.

It's a 10 x 30, about 3/4 full...one 6 x 8 empty space in the back...room to turn around there, but no where else.

This locker was owned by a couple in their 50s and it has "grandpa" stuff in it too. The former owner defaulted on this many times over the last year and half or so. Mgr said he was a pain. There were 5 cut locks in the lower right front corner and evidence he had opened many boxes during the times he got in there. STILL there was a LOT of good stuff left. Here are some pics and I'll update with text as I make headway.

Re: 10 x 30 ..... Lots of Stuff !
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
Cool~
Ok~now in pic 7 what is the metal thing that looks like a tail of a plane or blimp or some sort of flying object?

Too bad the top of the old school desk isn't in there (or perhaps it is?).  They are not easy sellers but they are cool and a great conversation piece.  I've got one that I simply couldn't sell for cheap.  I put so much work into restoring it that I figured nobody could appreciate it as much as I do.  It had been painted (numerous times) and under all the ooooook I found carvings from children long ago.
The company is still in business and sent me (via email) tons of info on the desk.  I'll try to recall that info and let you know, if you'd like~

Looks like a good unit MM~
Best of luck on it

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
Very nice catch!

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »
Looks awesome!

I am really interested to see how that wood working equipment comes out. Would love to see a post in a few months or whenever you sell it telling the brand & model, age, working condition, and how much you sold them for, if you don't mind.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
Congratulations on another great score!  You know, you may not be buying as many units as before, but you're sure getting the quality (and the quantity) in the ones you are buying.

Good luck!  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »
Cool~
Ok~now in pic 7 what is the metal thing that looks like a tail of a plane or blimp or some sort of flying object?

Good eye !  It's a transparent heavy plastic plane light which is suspended from the ceiling by two chrome bars.
Looks good for $75 to $100 I think.

Desk top is there somewhere I think. I wouldn't put any work into it and would ask maybe $40 to move it.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »
Looks awesome!

I am really interested to see how that wood working equipment comes out. Would love to see a post in a few months or whenever you sell it telling the brand & model, age, working condition, and how much you sold them for, if you don't mind.

Well, as you can probably tell by the yellow and red, most of it is Craftsman, but the higher end ones and each is on a stand. I'm just ball-parking $100 each on the big ones (radial and router table). That would clear them out I'm sure as the stands are like $75 separately I think. Will see...too early to start researching them. I am just trying to clear space for moving around.

The lathe is Rockwell/Delta. Will probably ask $200 for it.  The little craftsman router table (can't remember if router is in it) maybe $75 for both.  The three black boxes I was able to get to..empty at the moment but hoping the nailers are in one of the upright cabinets.  Pretty confident this will double...maybe more.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 02:10:16 PM »
Nice MovieMan - how much did you get it for if don't mind me asking?  I'd love a room like that.  Of course most of it would stay in my shop instead of being sold but still.  Great catch.

Never mind - just read the other post where you mentioned you paid $1900.  I was thinking $1500 for my area.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
Cha-ching Movieman!

What a great looking locker!

Does the box that is marked "red dishes" really have red dishes....red is my favorite color! ;)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
Well, it's 4:30 Pacific time and I worked about 6 hours in the locker today.

Despite having already determined it was good for at least a grand profit just on the stuff I looked at yesterday, and then getting more great collectibles today, I HAD A NAGGING FEELING....would this sucker actually make money?

I think it just had to do with the discussion in another thread a few days ago...the relief feeling when at least THE COST has been covered.

This one will do fine, but it will take a bit longer to get the $1,900 covered. The $825 lkr got itself covered in 3 Saturday sales days.

Today I went through about 30 boxes I think and ended up filling 20 with sellable stuff.....that was a darn good return on time and boxes. Hardly any trash (relatively speaking). A couple of suitcase with clothing, but no boxes of clothes as some lockers have. There was obviously a lot of shop stuff, but also a nice big dining table with 6 chairs, an mission style hutch  that is about 7 feet tall (one piece !) and 5 feet wide (or a little more), some tvs (older style), lots of new in the box stuff he hadn't used yet, some DVDs, old x-box, etc, etc.

Don't know if I mentioned the box of Bradford exhange plates the other day. Maybe 30 or so (not in the boxes, but with an envelope of the COAs ! (keep the boxes idiot). Edit: The first Saturday I sold these the big sellers (at $4 each !) were of sailing ships. Norman Rockwells went at $3. They don't sell high, but with the large quantity of them I got it adds up. end of edit. Today I found a box of paper wrapped Coca-Cola stuff.
Gotta quit...tired of moving and packing stuff. Tonight I'll look up stuff on eBay.

Later...

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »
Today I learned alot about the dollhouse in my lkr.

It's mounted on a green baseboard simulating grass, and the whole thing is sitting on a nice
oak cabinet (double doors with two shelves inside).  The man who owned the lkr made the oak base.

Found the plan book in the house and looked it up on eBay. Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-THE-HOUSEWORKS-DOLLHOUSE-PLAN-BOOK-NEW-/221004207460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3374e09564

Then I did a google search and found out the house is available AS A KIT !

Home depot link to dollhouse kit:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202018221/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=dollhouse+kit&storeId=10051

Long story short the kit is $375. Now I have to find the grandpa out there who wants to make a dollhouse for his
grand-daughter but maybe would be better off just buying it already made. AND I have to figure out if I can pawn off the base on a buyer of the dollhouse.  A dilemma and suggestions will be appreciated.

Also need to look up a dollhouse thread we had here a few months ago. I remembed wishing the guy good luck getting more than he paid for it. Don't think we ever heard. Now that I have one myself I'm all GUNG-HO on the subject !

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »

Never mind - just read the other post where you mentioned you paid $1900.  I was thinking $1500 for my area.

The funny thing about this auction (and the two that preceded it) was the small crowd. There were only 10 bidders at each of the three. Another auctioneer had attracted away the big buyers to another town.

So, things were looking good BUT a newbie (never been to an auction before)...bought 5 lockers of the 10 at the first two places. Another fellow and I bid him up to pay for the fun of being a new buyer.

He didn't come to the last place where I won the lkr...BUT...the other fellow who has been around for over a year or so WAS there and it was he and I who got into a bidding war. If he hadn't been there I would have had that locker for around $750 to $900...the other 8 people didn't have the money or the guts to go that high. However, HE WAS THERE and there-in was the rub.  Oh that he had dropped off the trail !

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »
I think I have read in other forums that doll houses take a looonnnngg time to sell, but hold your price and you will get what your asking. You may have to just store it away and wait till about October and sell it around Christmas season.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »
I think I have read in other forums that doll houses take a looonnnngg time to sell, but hold your price and you will get what your asking. You may have to just store it away and wait till about October and sell it around Christmas season.

Yep, you can bet it's going to be a long haul to sell this one both because of the "niche" factor and the expense.
But, there are birthdays, etc throughout the year, and for a high ticket item like this, maybe Christmas isn't the ONLY chance, but I agree it IS the best chance. Going to be a storage problem if it doesn't sell in the first month !

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
Awesome job!It may take awhile but you'll get good money on the dollhouse.Thanks for letting us see the pictures.Good luck!

xx
Lots of legal questions.

Started by Moonspell

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 08:26:43 PM
by tweetme5
xx
Beanie Babies and other Large Odd Lots

Started by tc wholesalers

0 Replies
Last post November 18, 2012, 09:35:51 AM
by tc wholesalers