Storage Auctions

Auction on 10/12

Auction on 10/12
« on: October 12, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »
Hit a auction today,
 5 units maybe 10 bidders with another 4/5 lookers.

First unit was a small indoor unit, (Not a climate control) had a small tv sitting on ground, 3 suitcases, one big box with a few odds and ends. There were two small 12X12 boxes neatly taped sitting on the wall by themselves.

I set my limit at 40 on this unit more or less just for the sake of seeing what was in the boxes. It ended up going for 50.

Second unit was a 5X10, had a upright fridge (with broken door) blocking most of the unit. But a nice looking couch was standing upright in the back. As well as a nice coffee table.bull horn in there and a computer tower on top of the fridge. Had one or two boxes but nothing flashy.

I set my limit at  100 and it went for 105.

Third unit was a great looking unit.  Had a huge industrial fan that looked brand new.  Along with one of those huge upright outdoor heaters. Had 50 folding chairs with 3 maybe 4 folding tables. 2 window a/c units and about 100 carpet floor tiles. After the bidding started I stepped back over and saw a upright tool box.

Sadly I only brought 250 with me and I shot the bid up to 200 instantly, next bidder went 300 on me so I was quickly out. It ended up going for 425, and myself and two other bidders standing near by commented it was well work that and then some, from the looks of the unit and the way it was stacked I'm sure it all worked.

Next two units where junk, one went for $5 and one for $10. Had a metal bunkbed and old computer desk in one, the other had a washer and a old nasty couch. The last one with the couch smelt horrible inside like a racoon had peed on the couch or something.

All in all it was a solid day, I bid on 3 units but went home empty handed. Guess that means I will have more next week.

Re: Auction on 10/12
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
great job sticking to your plan.No reason to overspend just to get a locker.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »
I wish it would only take $250 for a unit....Lowest unit round here usually goes for $300-500 and that's just 5x5's....people have been banking on finding gold in these units lately...

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »
I wish it would only take $250 for a unit....Lowest unit round here usually goes for $300-500 and that's just 5x5's....people have been banking on finding gold in these units lately...

They usually do around here, if you go the 1st-5th and the 15th-20th. the bids are high and crazy. but the 6th-14th and 21st-30th are kinda normal. Most people have spent most of their checks by then.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
If they are banking on gold they are just burning money.  Even the old timers in my area mentioned you don't find much jewelry or anything like that in the units in my area.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »
If they are banking on gold they are just burning money.  Even the old timers in my area mentioned you don't find much jewelry or anything like that in the units in my area.
yea...they'll definitely figure it out sooner or later. I have seen at least 5-10 new people every week with the same amount of new people for the past couple months slowly drop off. It's like they just rotate a new group in every month. I'm sure once new episodes of the storage wars/auction hunters hit, they'll come out in numbers again...

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
I can admit when i pulled a dumb*** move.  Last week i bought a locker since the previous tenant had passed away.  I was hoping there would be some nice stuff, but so far i'm calking it up as a $200 loss.  My new policy is bid  no more that double the value you can see.  so if a unit has 100 bucks of stuff i know i can move  easy dont spend over 200 on the whole unit.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »
Went to our first Auction Today.. Learned a lot. A caravan of 5 facilities  average of 2 to 3 units each.. First one had about 30 people there the units went for what I considered reasonable. $250 for a 5x5 packed to the roof.  As the day went on the crowds grew. 60 people at the next to last auction then stuff went through the roof. $600 for an abandoned 10x20. Not much in there. Did see one that was abandoned went for $1500. Had 3 inches of dust and a whole antique dinning room set, and lots a boxes in the back. other antiques as well. The last stop of the day was one abandon unit then people got desperate $250 for a 5x5 full of trash. Out again on Friday did hear the Whale of today will not be there. : ).

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 01:49:54 PM »
5x5's in my area are normal $100 give or minus $25.  Unless there is a bunch of music or electronics they don't go to high.  People do get a little antsy as the day goes by.  Guess they don't want to of spent the last 4 hours for nothing.  Myself, I'll walk away with just my notes on prices and crowds then spend money just to spend.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »
The guy that was desperate yesterday bought a 10x10 for $360.. To high IMO but he was relaxed the rest of the day. Made a phone call to someone and said I got one, I was glad he did.
We spent 6 hours yesterday and missed the first one.

Got a question... The non winning Whale yesterday who ran bids up, started bidding on a 5x10 at $10 we jumped in. No one else several regulars from yesterday even bothered to bid. This unit was not full but had 2 cedar bedroom wardrobes ( nothing fancy but at least $100 each) in it. And other stuff. Did everyone back down because they new he would buy it??? We will have the label of running him up $150 (dam noobie). I mean one with a little bit of trash went for $10. We could not figure out with the way the day was going why no one wanted this unit. He will be our Hester... Hand on the door before Auction done

Thanks

xx
Abandoned Property Auction Listed on Virtual Storage Auction

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 05:48:42 PM
by Alias300
xx
Anyone ever go to your citys municipal vehicle auction or seized car auction?

Started by rulesforrebels

7 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 11:18:07 AM
by alloro
xx
Guess the auction selling prices on these items at a piece by piece auction

Started by MovieMan

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 06:02:31 PM
by SteveChesi
xx
New Storage Auction Game - Auction Wars: Storage King