Storage Auctions

Auction Scene #2...February, 2012

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Auction Scene #2...February, 2012
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »

Time flies when you're buying particle board !  ;)

Re: Auction Scene #2...February, 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:18:42 AM »
LOL Movieman - now that made me laugh this morning.  Well Feb is starting out like Jan did.  One of my auctions for friday has already called and canceled.  That leaves me with U-haul friday if I can make it.  Meeting from 10-11 and then heading to Statesboro at 6am saturday.  So really don't need a locker but want to get a fell for the crowds.

Next week I have my caravan on the 9th and a 3 facility caravan on the 11th.  I'm almost afraid to go on the 11th as they canceled January's auction just to wait for people to get tax refund checks back before auction.

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »
Well January was a bust and I will be going out of town the first week of February.  The nice thing is I found some auctions towards the end of the week.  I do have a place were I can store stuff there as well so it may not be a bad thing.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »
Transitioning from Jan to Feb...

Started working in the lkr I got the other day...took 23 black and transparent bags of clothes to Goodwill. Keep in mind I could tell these were not the kind I would sell at the flea market.

Got some good stuff and looks like I will sell about $1K or a little more out of the $600 lkr.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:04:40 AM »
Busy day yesterday... I thought I had got lucky and found a auction close to home with 17 units advertised.....Wast of time!

Only 6 units.......About 60 people......

When the auction started at the first unit the auctioneer said "Before we open it there is $250 owed on it does anyone want to give me half ( $125 ) blind"  I thought he was joking.  Who wants to bid without seeing the unit?  He was not kidding they sold 3 units "BLIND". Not only were they doing this, the units he opened he would go in the lockers and look in the boxes, open tool boxes, and read name brands to the crowd WTF!

Left very angry at these practices, I thought there may be some fishy things going on between the regulars and the auctioneer.  People that were seen before auction started talking and joking with auctioneer are the ones who bought the "BLIND" lockers with no one contesting there opening bids.  What would have stopped the auctioneer of informing them what lockers to bid on blind as they would have sold for more if they were opened?

Aftere all this I stopped by a Antique shop and flea market that I had heard about but never stopped at.  THis place was huge.  I pass it once or twice a week but thought it was a small shop. I did not realise it had a basement that went  under the whole shopping center and included 2 buildings behind it.  I actually got lost and couldn't find my way back to the office!  LOL   Had to follow arrows on the floor. 

I bit the bullet and rented 2 spaces.  Guess we will see how I do. Going today to start setting up.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:10:48 AM »
I bit the bullet and rented 2 spaces.  Guess we will see how I do. Going today to start setting up.

Please keep us up to date on how you do there. My wife and I are debating renting at the local antique malls, but aren't sure if it's worth the overhead.

I would love to hear about someone else's results. Might warrant a new thread though.

Good Luck!!

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:37:05 AM »
Transitioning from Jan to Feb...

Started working in the lkr I got the other day...took 23 black and transparent bags of clothes to Goodwill. Keep in mind I could tell these were not the kind I would sell at the flea market.

Got some good stuff and looks like I will sell about $1K or a little more out of the $600 lkr.

You did sort through those bags first just to make sure there was nothing else hidden didn't you?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »
Busy day yesterday... I thought I had got lucky and found a auction close to home with 17 units advertised.....Wast of time!

Only 6 units.......About 60 people......

When the auction started at the first unit the auctioneer said "Before we open it there is $250 owed on it does anyone want to give me half ( $125 ) blind"  I thought he was joking.  Who wants to bid without seeing the unit?  He was not kidding they sold 3 units "BLIND". Not only were they doing this, the units he opened he would go in the lockers and look in the boxes, open tool boxes, and read name brands to the crowd WTF!

Left very angry at these practices, I thought there may be some fishy things going on between the regulars and the auctioneer.  People that were seen before auction started talking and joking with auctioneer are the ones who bought the "BLIND" lockers with no one contesting there opening bids.  What would have stopped the auctioneer of informing them what lockers to bid on blind as they would have sold for more if they were opened?

Aftere all this I stopped by a Antique shop and flea market that I had heard about but never stopped at.  THis place was huge.  I pass it once or twice a week but thought it was a small shop. I did not realise it had a basement that went  under the whole shopping center and included 2 buildings behind it.  I actually got lost and couldn't find my way back to the office!  LOL   Had to follow arrows on the floor. 

Sounds really fishy to me. If something like that happened were I live I would watch to see if anyone agreed to bid like that. If certain people agreed and started bidding I would "run them up" because I would know they have "inside" information.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:02:15 AM »
There are absolutely no auctions in my area :(  In one local paper, there is a facility with listings almost every week about defaulted units. No current contact information for the facility, so I had to do a little digging. I end up calling the paper to see if they have any contact info and that I might know a defaulted renter. Lo and behold the owner calls me back. She tells me that they rarely sell off units, but takes my name and says "I can call you if we do decide to do anything with them". Even though the ads say "lockers up for public sale on such and such a date". I have even contacted facilities that state items will be disposed of on such and such a date, no luck.

All the auctions advertised are for like one or two lockers over an hour away. I cannot wait for spring!!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:08 AM »
You did sort through those bags first just to make sure there was nothing else hidden didn't you?

Half of them were transparent bags, so NO on those. Yes, on the others.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
I'll keep everyone posted on my adventures at the antique mall/flea market.   I will start a thread now in the flea market section.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
went to my first auction of this year and my first caravan.  It was fun!   No auctions in jan in my area. 

I was excited to attend to an auction and see/talked to some of the regulars. 

It was a pretty fun day.  The auction itself was a joke.  everyone joked and laughed at the items in the storage.  12 lockers total,

all together combined $170.00

yes i said it right.  All trashed or almost empty with broken furniture. 

Maybe next time! 

;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »

all together combined $170.00

yes i said it right.  All trashed or almost empty with broken furniture. 

Maybe next time! 

;D

What no quads, Winchester 73s, model jet aircraft, dirt bikes, coin collections, rare art, autographed sports memorabilia, jade, Breitlings or Rolexes ?  What the hell !  What kind of dirtbag storage facility was that ?  ;)

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »
LOL! at movieman.   ;D

unfortunately this was beyond trashed. 

even the regulars laughed.. 

it was so bad. 

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 05:57:45 AM »
Small local facility 3 units me and 2 other buyers I got 2.  
Unit 1 $100 contained
Kirby G5,
antique dresser, 2 chest of drawers, bed,
dozens of DVDs in the correct boxes,
2 DVD players,
Playstation2 (just have to find the cords and stuff,
5'x4' picture that sold in my booth in less than 5 hrs.
Oil painting from Artmasters Studio
Lots of nice clothes Example London Fog jacket nurses scrubs almost new.
Yes there was junk too.  Filled my 6x12 cargo trailer and high roof Sprinter all for $100
Unit 2 $250
Bunk bed friends on the way to buy
2 antique chest of drawers
real wood modern chest of drawers
antique trunk
2 new in the box Hunter Princess lamps
ESPN football game that I need to check out
table chairs
6x12 trailer and half of Sprinter load
NOW THE REAL WORK STARTS!!!!!!!!!

Found a second playstation 2, Nintendo game cube, old sega gensis, hand made patchwork quilt, some gold jewlery may be best lockers so far ;D

xx
Auction Scene #2...February, 2013

Started by MovieMan

28 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 01:30:59 PM
by calcoastgal
xx
Auction Scene #2....February, 2014

Started by MovieMan

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 08:33:20 PM
by calcoastgal