Auction Scene #2...February, 2012

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Re: Auction Scene #2...February, 2012
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2012, 05:26:10 AM »
@ Cheesehead

Good Lord !!!!!!!!!!

thought our prices were bad. Guess should stop complaining.

Yes a thrift contact is great. We were doing great (ours does consignment). But things have moved to a crawl do to the county not allowing her to put stuff outside.  ::).  That is where all our large pieces went usually straight from the auction, but now we are having to be more selective at the auctions.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2012, 07:23:59 AM »
Just to give you and idea of prices in the Mid-South ---->

Photo #1 = $40.00
Photo #2 = $385.00
Photo #3 = $130.00 (TV screen was cracked)

My analysis:

Unit #1 if it's a lazyboy, and no bad stains, cigerette burns, or tears $100-$150 easy. Off brand $50 - $75 so that unit is a profitable pick.
Unit #2 Can't really see anything but I will guess it will be a scramble to break even (unless you can give us any details about what you saw).
Unit #3 No side boards or support rails for the headboard & footboard so probably get $100-$125 for em' $3-$5 at flea for the bouncer, TV=$0, so break even at best.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
Can anyone tell me where they have storage auctions in Memphis TN? or has anyone been to Memphis sales? I have never been to a storage auction but would like to try it. Thanks for any in put.

Look in the legal section of your local and area newspaper for lien sales. Look in those papers every day for two months.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »
My analysis:

Unit #1 if it's a lazyboy, and no bad stains, cigerette burns, or tears $100-$150 easy.

D*mn! I need to move.  But just 20miles south is 10-15 warehouse outlets where you can get furniture that has been on display for cheap. Might get $150 for a lazy boy if it's brand new, up a bit if new and leather.  Fred Meyer has off brand for $320 for two right  now....

But maybe I just don't have the outlets to move items for a good price.
Still looking for the people that will buy used shop vac's for $75-100 like they say on Storage Wars!  lol

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2012, 09:21:23 AM »
D*mn! I need to move.   Might get $150 for a lazy boy if it's brand new, up a bit if new and leather.  Fred Meyer has off brand for $320 for two right  now....

But maybe I just don't have the outlets to move items for a good price.
Still looking for the people that will buy used shop vac's for $75-100 like they say on Storage Wars!  lol

Me too. Lucky to get $50 maybe $75 for a recliner. 

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »
Me too. Lucky to get $50 maybe $75 for a recliner. 

I got $125 for a Lazyboy recliner, but it was also a lift chair......and that took me 3 weeks to move~ :-\

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
The recliner pictured above was nothing special - pretty good shape but far from "new" condition.  Our local "whale" bought it, and I think he was pretty much trying to make a statement.  (He ended up with 18 of 34 lockers that day).

As far as the $385 locker (I re-posted image below) - it contained a portable wheelchair in average shape (see wheel below the auctioneer's hand), a TON of Christmas stuff, a beat up washer and dryer (right side of locker), and more misc. medical supplies.  The boxes were mostly open/empty and there were also a few plastic bins that weren't Xmas.

A lot of lockers looked like the good stuff had been picked through with everything else left behind.  Several had inches of dust and cobwebs, but still not many good items.  Two units went for a bundle - one with commercial cooking equipment and Sysco Food items ($2000) and a 5x5 with a safe!  ($500)  All others in the $75-400 range.  There were several lockers I valued at $50-100 that went for $300-400 - and most were purchaed by regulars.  I kept thinking I missed something, but I couldn't see it.  Oh yeah, the safe unit was won by a Thrift owner I spoke with, so I will find out what was in it and report back.

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
Marki - please take a few mins and do a search on this board.  If you need do a google search with "storageauctionforums" in the name.  Will answer your questions.  Hint - look in your paper.

Today I had 2 silent auctions.  First one had 13 units and about 20 people.  Second auction had 10 units and we were up to 30-35 people.  No real newbies at the first auction, and like 8 at the last. 

Auction in the morning in a out-of-town place.  Will see how those crowds are.

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »

Good luck!

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »
Two units went for a bundle - one with commercial cooking equipment and Sysco Food items ($2000) and a 5x5 with a safe!  ($500) 

Here's a photo of the "safe" unit.  The round table in front was pretty nice, but the pedestal was broken.  The dresser was cheap and the mattress and box spring were worn.  The black leather office chair showed a little wear, but wasn't in bad shape.  Behind the mattress was a microphone stand and a hard square case that may have held either the mic or a musical instrument of some kind.  The safe was tucked along the right side on the floor just behind the chair.  You had to shine your light along the wall to see it - the safe door was facing out towards the right side wall.  Unit went for $500 - and I honestly think about half the bidders missed it because I fully expected the price to go out of site. 

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2012, 01:55:38 AM »
Thanks I'll try the Google search. My local paper wont be a help, we have never had a storage auction in this town..lol.. very small town. and there arent any in near by town either. I would have to try Memphis or Little Rock the bigger cities, and I know nothing about either place.

Marki - please take a few mins and do a search on this board.  If you need do a google search with "storageauctionforums" in the name.  Will answer your questions.  Hint - look in your paper.

Today I had 2 silent auctions.  First one had 13 units and about 20 people.  Second auction had 10 units and we were up to 30-35 people.  No real newbies at the first auction, and like 8 at the last. 

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »
Well even going 40 miles out of the metro area to a mid-size rural town didn't work out to well.  Was two different locations.  First location had 4 units (all paid up), about 6 bidders but I got there right at time for auction to start.  So some may of already gone to other location.  Second location had 13 units in paper - down to 3 10 mins to 9.  Lady comes in and ask where is "some name".  I was like you mean the auction/owner - over there.  She paid up, so down to 2.  First unit was small closet size with a beat up recliner, baby bouncy, and maybe something else.  Second one was a 10x10 with a trunk, decent desk, antique warddrobe closet (broken door), and a few other things.  Only myself and another guy was bidding.  I went to $50 and stopped.  Didn't take my trailer so wasn't worth me going home, getting trailer, and going back.  Today was more of an exploration trip.  Crowd reminded me of the city.  There was 25-30 people, baby to 60-70 yr old w/ a cane.  Black lady and her kids were even posing for pictures.

The old guy saw my light and made the comment to me "you take this storage wars seriously, you been watching to much tv".  I laughed and told him if this was storage wars I would be at the beach already since could get $30 per trash bag.

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
The old guy saw my light and made the comment to me "you take this storage wars seriously, you been watching to much tv". 

This must be the brother of the guy at my last auction.  Mr. "Not What To Do At A Storage Auction."

1)  He'd look, then stand in front of the locker for every auction! (Right in the middle of the doorway)
2)  He'd get kind of huffy when people were trying to look around him with a flashlight.  "You don't have to push me pal!..."
3)  He smoked non-stop while doing all this. (Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if you smoke, just not in the middle of the action.   :P)
4)   He never placed a bid.

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2012, 08:42:14 PM »
If a guy pulled that in my area he would get moved.  Either by the other regulars or by the auctioneer himself.

Today was my 3 facility caravan starting at 4pm.  We had another pretty large crowd, good 35+ strong.  Most of the people were regulars with a few newbies.  Most of the units went to regulars.  However, we had one guy called "yellow shirt" who was buying lockers like mad.  None of the regulars knew who he was.  He tossed out some serious money for iffy lockers.  Think he ended up with 5 or 6 lockers at the first stop.  He didn't show up for the last location.  Guess he was out of money or had enough units.

The prices were so/so.  Some cheap prices, some decent prices, some "You are kidding me" prices.  One unit had a huge couch blocking the door.  You couldn't see inside of it.  It sold for like $500 something.  I was like - say what...did they see something I didn't.  Room full of boxes (cloths spilling out), sold for $350.

Daughter and I picked up two units.  First is a small 5x5 "girl" unit that had a silver case daughter liked, some boxes, 3 suit cases, lamp shades, etc.  Spent $120 for it (20 more then really wanted).  The second unit we picked up was a 10x10 with a old first gen looking front loader and dryer.  I really wanted this unit as I could see a rack mounted server and 2 hard drives on the floor.  Room was pretty spare so figured may be able to get it cheap.  Opened at $50 but got taken up to $90.  The local whale was also bidding but stopped when I hit $90.  He sort of gave it to me as he could of kept going.  He also knows I may sell him the washer/dryer.  Found a whole spool (1000') of networking cable in a box.  Large tote was empty.  Not too much in the unit, but I was very happy.  If server works I'm golden.  Will make my money back just on the networking cable.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2012, 07:44:35 PM »
Christmas lights anyone?

Box shown in these two pics is about 4 feet tall and 3 feet on a side. No takers locally, how about you ?

xx
Auction Scene #2...February, 2013

Started by MovieMan

28 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 01:30:59 PM
by calcoastgal
xx
Auction Scene #2....February, 2014

Started by MovieMan

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 08:33:20 PM
by calcoastgal