Storage Auctions

Auction Scene #2...February, 2012

Re: Auction Scene #2...February, 2012
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »
@ craig   Yeah I'm still around, Thanks.  Tornados just a couple of miles from my house.

Well I'm headed to another local auction tomorrow, I have been doing really well at these.  As of this morning 24 units. My last 2 lockers I have made my money back 5X over and still have a couple of things to sell. 

Maybe I'll get a couple of good priced units.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »
Lol Acman - I feel your pain.  My sneaking out at lunch to attend an auction days are about over.  Getting a new boss that micro manages like mad.  Even exempt people have to clock in-out, line up for fire drill, etc.

Prices for us still seem to be all over the board but mostly high.  Like the other evening, daughter put in a bid of $10 on a small unit with nothing but cloths.  Manager told her he already had a $100 opener.  She was a little shocked.  Him and I both agreed if this was even last August, she may of gotten it for the $10, at least under $50.

Sorry for the new boss.  :(

Can picture your daughters face... Looks like ours. (confused and shocked smiley)

Movieman that looks like a good one. Would have gone for a higher in price here.

Auctions slow here a few but so inventory rich still in a holding pattern.  :(

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »

Movieman that looks like a good one. Would have gone for a higher in price here.

The $1k was high enough for me !  Today I got $20 for scrap metal and $40 for gold for a total of $60...not much but it's a start on knocking down the $1k.

Gold...two 10K necklaces that couldn't have weighed more than a fingernail clipping (maybe less) and a small thin 14K ring. Each batch brought $20.

So, now it begins....the selling.

« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2012, 06:47:31 AM »
Least your finding some gold Movieman.  I just keep getting the gold plated rings, fake avon jewelry, or a small gold color sterling silver necklace out of my last unit.  I know most of the rings / necklace will sell for a few bucks at the flea.  No idea what to do with earrings - they don't sell.

Was going to hit Savannah today with 3 large auctions but that got canceled on me by the wife and mother.  Each of them have things for me to do/help with today starting with taking my girls to ice skating practice.  Oh well - hope to hit a few auctions next week before get moved and transfered to the new boss.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »
Least your finding some gold Movieman. 

This is the first I've found in a long time. Hoping there will be some more in there as the little I found wasn't in a jewelry box per se, but in a little "trinket" box.

A friend who buys a lot of lockers (and was $7K in the hole for about six months) got a lot of gold but 20x the trash to go with it. He finally bailed himself out but hasn't been finding as much gold lately either.

5 a.m. here as I write this....time to go to the flea for selling....can't say my heart is in it this morning.  :(

« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
We bought our first unit in five years on Saturday. We went to two local private storage companys....the first was pretty crowded 35-40 people and all but the last two units were washateria units (looked like the owners just dumped their dirty clothes/shoes and bought new ones), they went for 3x's what they should have. The last two were very nice and we bid but they too sold for way, way too much. We dropped out at $400.

The next was a silent auction and the units were cleaner but a lot of furniture. Less crowded. about 15-20 people. We entered a bid on two and won one for $150. It was a 5x10 about half full, mostly totes, boxes and an entertainment center which we sold to another buyer for $50. The owner of the place did not charge a deposit and as it was a silent auction...no buyers fee! He also said just to take what we want and feel free to leave the rest.

I went through everything yesterday....clothes, 6 comforter sets, 2 totes of curtains, clothes, religious knick-knaks - Catholic and Buddha. Maybe they were covering all bases! Also 4 porcelain dolls, clothes, clothes......

I can make my money back but it will be slow. I generally will sell the clothes at the swap for $1 for all they can cram into a bag. The collectiables will bring another $40 to $50 and hopefully the bedding will sell for $10 a set.

Oh, we were actually recognized by another buyer....said he missed the doughnuts I usually bring along with me!

« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »
Don and I are dividing and hopefully conquering today.  There were supposed to be 3 separate carvans, but alas one claims all at both facilities paid up.  So we're down to two.  One being PS and the other the local 'popular' auctioneer.  I'll be taking the latter with Don hanging with the 'regulars' at the less publicized one.

Seems like eons since we've been to auctions (ok....only a week, but it feels like eons).  February has been stinky for sure, what with Tucson's population almost doubling due to all that we have happening during this month (gem show, golf tournaments and the rodeo) then add in newbies with tax returns..........ugh.  Well guess what?  We're flush on our seed money, have plenty of storage space and our tax return posted this morning.................look out newbies.................We're ready to BUY!!!

8)

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:54 AM »
Good luck Rockin.  This month has been good to me so I can't complain too much except about the crowds.  Hope you score a nice unit.

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »
Good luck Rockin.  This month has been good to me so I can't complain too much except about the crowds.  Hope you score a nice unit.

Actually ended up with 3 units (2 for Don and 1 for me).  Total spent was right around $1000.  Crowds were relatively small and prices pretty minimal.
Just starting to dig, so let ya know more when I have a chance to breathe~

Don had the facility manager contact him and say that one of the tenants wants to buy back his stuff.....not even sure how we'll deal with that one....yet~

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »
Feburary sucked for selling. Worked way to much.
March I have tue/wed off and that's the days for auctions here.

Did a lot of details and some bodywork. Got an offer on the '67 datsun truck. Hasn't paid yet but looks like a done deal. And got a '97 BMW 528i that I gotta pull out the front end. Should make a couple bucks on that one. Got a couple bids in on some cars that are easy flips if I get them. Low ball'd so don't know. Don't put in huge bids on the online auctions. Found that the auction house's "runs great" differs from my "runs great".  lol

Anyway, set myself up cash wise for march auctions. I think I might overpay on a small unit even if I loose money just so I can say I got one!  Tho I'll tell y'all it was full of guns, gold, 200 safes and 5000yr old Egyptian cat.....that's still alive.  :)

« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
Went to one close to home today that I had heard iffy things about.  Rumor is the facility manager has been fired from 2 other places and has her own thrift store in town.  Is said she goes into the units.  At 11am she had all 4 units (very rude on phone).  By 2pm for the auction she was down to 2.  The tool/tote unit paid up along with the other good on paper unit, go figure?  Locks on the units are also these special key locks that you have to get from the facility.  Friend of mine won both units.  First was $35 and had junk couch / recliner, but nice corner cabinet, mirror, and large display type case.  Second unit looked pretty old and was bit of a mystery - sold for $195.  Found some good stuff in the unit along with some so/so stuff.  Should be able to break even or make money.

Crowd was about a dozen people.  Very good compared to last few auctions.  No auctions again for me till the 9th.  Then start the 2 week frenzy again.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2012, 05:02:57 AM »
Rockin it sounds good on your last divide and conquering plan.

It has been a slow month for us. selling and buying.  :(

Planning on doing the Flea on Friday only taking stuff for other vendors to buy. Had one buy crap pots and pans last time.  ???  Leaving the clothes behind.
Then hitting hard on Saturday. Suppose to rain again on Sunday.

No auctions until the 7th. We will feel like noobies again. LOL 

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
Rockin it sounds good on your last divide and conquering plan.

Well I've finished 'processing' my unit, which was $350.  5X10 full.  What really got me was a rack of cd's that had been shrink-wrapped and a nice iron & wood daybed.  Not quite sure how we'll make out on it, as the boxes were mostly women's clothes (high-end, but XXL) and clothes just don't move at our local flea.  I did find a Mitchell & Ness Dan Marino jersey and if it's authentic should get back close to a third of the unit cost.  There was also an XL leather Packers (why oh why can I never find Vikings gear?) jacket.  A bit of gold, some silver and quite a bit costume jewelry, which I sold out of last weekend.

The toy unit ($200) is also looking a bit iffy.  So many items had been chewed up by some sort of little rat dog.  There were quite a few rc cars and some other items of value, but we're not making much.

The final unit ($450) is still 75% in boxes.  We did find several jewelry boxes, but mostly costume stuff.  Quite a few furs.  A cute all leather Betty Boop purse.  Quite a few collectibles and 3 large boxes of albums.  Thinking of doing a large lot on craigslist for all the albums (two boxes from other lockers).

I think we'll do okay, but I don't see a great (or quick/easy) return. 

I'm officially worn out.....but my feet are now up and I'm loving my adorable 'new' slippers that are big and fuzzy and designed to look like golf shoes!!
 :D

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
run through the records real quick on ebay. Ive had pretty good luck finding a few gems out of large lots of records. Id pick them out and sell the rest as a lot on craigslist.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
Not quite sure how we'll make out on it, as the boxes were mostly women's clothes (high-end, but XXL) and clothes just don't move at our local flea. 

All sounds fair. The last ones sounds like it will be good.

Quoted you above on the clothes check out ebay for them. The lager ones are easier to sell. Fellow auction buyer sold men's XXX dress pants for $25 each on ebay. I found a lady on CL under things wanted, buying the larger sizes. (I did not have enough for her though)

Love the slippers. We have snoopy flashing drinking glasses, want loose the adult beverage in the dark.  ;)

xx
Auction Scene #2...February, 2013

Started by MovieMan

28 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 01:30:59 PM
by calcoastgal
xx
Auction Scene #2....February, 2014

Started by MovieMan

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 08:33:20 PM
by calcoastgal