Storage Auctions

Auction Scene #3...March, 2013

Re: Auction Scene #3...March, 2013
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 10:21:44 PM »
Hi everyone. I have reading this forum for a long time. Finally thought I sould speak up too. I am 27 and have buying units and selling since 12 years old. About the units now that are high. Auction last week I say a unit with about ten boxes sell for $400. People are just nuts now. They think ever unit is going to have the one item. Out of the 100s of units I have bought I have only a handful of real good units.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 12:06:50 AM »
Welcome to them forum...we're glad you finally decided to join in! I wish everyone who visits the forum would register and say hello...hint, hint.  ;D

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »
Funny that you mention that. We had a unit go today for $5,500.. Had lots of real nice high end furniture, professionally packed. It was owned by a moving company for one of their customers who refused to pay for the move.

There were 2 main bidders, one of which said after the sale that she didn't even have that much money on her. I asked why she kept going.. She said "To make him pay.."   :o  I asked, what if he stopped at $5,400? She said, "Oh well, if I don't got it, I don't got it. What can they do?" Yeah, real educated answer.. I was in total shock..

That's an interesting story. Makes me think how often that happens where I live if people are just bidding and don't have the money and don't care if they win because there is no real enforcement mechanism. All the facilty or auctioneer can do is ban them from their auctions. I wonder if instead of going to my limit on some of the nicer, more expensive units, if I should drop early, let others win, then watch to see if the actually pay up.

Anybody out there have experience with this scenario. Could I just claim I'm the back-up bidder and pay the winning bid or would the unit be re-auctioned? (probably not right away since the crowd would have left).

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »
Ya Movieman - I have 3 main auctions I like to attend.  The 7 facility thursday one, 3 facility saturday, and 3 location monday one.  This month is just not going to be my month.  The 7 facility was a complete bust for me as far as buying.  Saturday you know about already.  The monday 25th I'm going to have to skip.  Wife has a PT appointment that day so I'll have to get the kids.  Then rain this saturday so a good yard sale picking day out the window.  Plus side - gives me more time to clean out old inventory / get organized....ya right.

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »
Phil I would not say bad lockers just not great. I have never lost money on one. I have come close though. I picked up a unit in dec I wish I would not have. I picked up one of the boxes and two mice jump onto me chest ran down me and out the door. Fist time to see live mice in a unit. I see dead ones from time to time but that was a first. I live in a small town in the mountains so mice are common.

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 07:47:45 AM »
I've found live mice many times in a unit.  We normally scare the crap out of each other when I do find them.

Hit a 2-unit auction yesterday close to home.  First time this facility has had any auctions in 4 years.  I was first excited as NONE of the regulars where there.  Was all local people.  Two that I've seen on/off at the other auctions but not big hitters or old-timers.

Anyways - first locker opens and it's bare.  A can of freon, broken tv stand, new camo bag, snow board w/ ski suit in tote (we in south...NO SNOW).  I figured $50 or so - went for $90.  Other unit had 3 totes, one showing a number of PS2 games, twin matress/boxspring, some broken furniture item, and a washer.  I ran it up to $110 and stopped.  Guy that bought the 1st unit got that one also.  Not sure who he is but hope he has a store or good local for yard sales.  If that washer don't work IMO he is out of some money.  PS2 games if in the cases only go for $2 or so.  If there was a complete system in there with cords that would be another $30.  Washer working since was older model $125.  So I may have given him $30-$50 in profit or he will have a  loss.  Just not in the "pushy" mood since still have inventory and full sheds.  Plan to do spring cleaning the week of April 8th.  Then may get hungry again.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
Got skunked this month! Couldn't (or wisely) beat the 3rd year tax season newbies out of any units this month. I probably saved money. Maybe April will be better.

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
Got my one and only locker for this month on Saturday.  Ended up paying $250 for it, but should make over a $1000.  Lots of $10-$20 items along with a few bigger ones.  Got the rest of it loaded out today and stuffed in my shop.  Hopefully I'll get to go through it all tomorrow. 

Been doing mostly picking and auction house style auctions this year, but feels good to actually get some junk to dig through!

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »

Been doing mostly picking and auction house style auctions this year, but feels good to actually get some junk to dig through!

Going through the junk is definitely the most addicting part to this whole gig, in my opinion!

xx
Auction Scene #3...March, 2012

Started by MatchesMalone

90 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 11:33:42 AM
by craiglstauction
xx
Auction Scene #3....March, 2014

Started by MovieMan

11 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 10:31:52 PM
by auctionguy