Storage Auctions

Auction Scene #5...May, 2012

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Auction Scene #5...May, 2012
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »

And to add something for the other thread,  The cabinet on the doll house might be a selling point. Somewhere to put the thing. Good Luck.

Turns out the green "grass" beneath the dollhouse IS fastened to the oak cabinet, so pretty much a done deal that NOW I will be offering all as one piece, and it does make sense as a place to put it. Children could then be standing while playing with it, or pull up a 30" stool to do so.  I think it will take some time to sell it.

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
Recently bought a unit with a ton of sports memoriabilia in it. Rare cards, autographs, jersies were all found as a part of the collection. Is anybody on here interested or a collector of sports memoriabilia. Prices on the items are definitely reasonable. We would be looking for someone to help us in regards to what it is worth and if you can help us gain some knowledge we are willing to sell the pieces to you at a very fair price.

Any advice/recommendations/interest in this collection?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »
I know it's only the middle of May but this will be my last report for this month because I am going on Holiday for a couple of weeks. It means I will miss our two biggest caravans for the month and they are the best auctions for determining trends in attendance and prices.

So far as I have seen this month, **cross fingers, twirl in circles, pray to the Lebrchuans** It appears the numbers of regulars, 6 monthers, AND newbies or dropping. Last two auctions had less then 15 folks in attendance. Of course the couple of newbies that did show up ran the prices beyond reasonable, but we might be turning a corner here.

Someone mentioned the new season of Storage Wars (or whatever show, don't watch) is starting in June, so we will just have to see what affect it has on crowds and prices.

The way things have been going this month, when I come back from my holiday in June, I may not recognize a soul at the auctions!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »

The way things have been going this month, when I come back from my holiday in June, I may not recognize a soul at the auctions!

Sorry we won't have your attendance reports for those several auctions...would be good to hear.

I haven't been to any of the big auctioneer's auctions for awhile in my area and haven't talked to the other guys about crowds. The last unit I got (big one) only had 10 in attendance, but 30 miles away other auctions were going on that had drawn most of the regulars.

Yep, SW (the original) starts season 3 in June.

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »
Crowds for me are still very sporatic.  One auction we will have 30-50 with a bunch of newbies.  My last auction with a auctioneer only had about 35 in attendance.  He normally brings people in from all over.  Prices for units are still all over the board also.

Trend from last week was still pretty high numbers.  Most of the people last week were regulars / older newbies.  I have seen newer faces but they are mostly out-of-towners coming to larger city since the small auctions are drying up.

Do have one new guy that must be an out-of-towner that is killing the other stores.  He is in a walker so must have a crew to clean out his units.  He has been buying up large units and paying some big $$ for them.  I have yet to figure out if he is making money or just pissing it away.  So far he has bought 5 $400-$800 units this month.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »
Went to an auction today (#5 rated auctioneer in the area) and facility had 11 units. There were about 20 people with 10 of them being regulars.

Units went at reasonable prices ($500 for 10 x 20s), $400 for 10 x 10, $75 for 5 x 10; almost like the old days.
Because I've bought a few high dollar units lately I was mostly there for the entertainment factor...there was some of that.

I didn't bid on a single unit, probably should have for one 5 x 10 mostly boxes...I like a good surprise if the price is right. It went for $200.

So, maybe a bit  of a slow down in crowd size. Only another 6 months to a year will tell the real story.

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 01:12:26 AM »
Went to an auction at a single facility today.  Close to 50 people, but only about 30 signed in to bid.   Hung out with a few of the regulars and one of the "new regulars" that started buying about two months before the shows started. 

There were 13 lockers up for sale, and the majority of them went in the $250-$500 price range, except one locker that went for $775.  Two regulars got in a bidding war on that one because they saw a case for a french horn.  Horn was in it, but it was kind of corroded, but there was also a brand new looking trumpet in the locker too.  Still, I think the winner is going to be lucky to break even on that one.

I ended up spending $450 on one that I wish was a little better!  One of the items I saw that I thought was gonna get me my money back right away turned out to be something else.....dang!  I've got it all emptied out except for a few Goodwill items and some paperwork, and I'll make a little on it, but it's gonna be a lot of work for not much money! 

One thing I did think was kind of interesting though was the absence of a few key new players.  There's a couple of new guys that have been bidding on and buying a bunch of lockers at every auction......... and paying ridiculously high prices!  Maybe it's a fluke, but they did not show up today and hopefully they have moved on to easier money!

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »
Went to an auction yesterday (South-eastern PA). 11 units up for grabs. There were about 20 people there with about 10 people serious about bidding. The units that were all mystery (boxes/bins) were the most expensive. All went around $400. The rest of the units were very reasonable prices. I got a 10x15 that was only about 1/4 full, but I noticed a box with some collectible model cars sticking out the top and figured (hoped) the person would have some collections in the unit. There were about 5-6 boxes in the back corner. There were also some yard tools and baby items (car seat, high chair, etc. ) that would sell pretty easily at a yard sale we are having this weekend. The unit cost me $95. I almost won it for $40, but another bidder hopped in and we went back and forth to $95. There was a Direct TV HD DVR (how do I find out if it is sellable or not??).

When I got the chance to dig through the unit I did indeed find a few collections. There was a bunch of Budweiser holiday steins (1989-2007) including a few anniversary and members steins. There were about 10-12 model cars all in their boxes. I also found about 10 porcelain eggs. There were even a few vintage items. A genesee 12 horse ale crate with checkerboard top was in the unit, as well as a singer sewing machine.

All in all I think it is a decent unit and should have no problem doubling (or more) our money on this one.

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2012, 12:06:58 PM »
Disappointing morning to say the least.  Two auctions at facilities literally right across the street from each other.  One at 9:00am and the next at 10:00am.  Close to home, nice places, friendly management....

Auction #1 - I arrive at 8:35am, sign in as bidder #5, and am told there will be eight units.  I then spend the next 25 minutes watching three tenants pull into the lot, go into the office,  and pay up their units.  So we're down to five.  Good new is only about 10 bidders and 15-16 people total.  Unfortunately, the units were: 1) crap $50  2) crap $60  3) crappier $20   4) crappiest $5 (this unit was a 5x10 LOADED with furniture, but all broken - the crowd scattered like gas-on-ants :))   5) junk - not quite crap! $275    Mostly broken furniture, matresses, box fans, tons of clothing....these units were so bad even our local whale only bought one $60 unit.  (He was outbid by another guy for the 5th locker).  Things were so bad even the photo I took of Unit #5 didn't turn out on my phone..... >:(

Auction #2 - About seven or eight of us drive across the street to the other place - it's a nice facility where I've gotten some nice smalls in the past - and we're told "all paid up - nothing to auction."  Figures...

Bottom line:  In my area, it seems both the crowds and the prices have come down - but now the quality of the merchandise has also gone down.  There have been some great lockers, but they are now about 1-in-20 or 1-in-30.  Anyone else noticing this in your areas?  

Good luck out there !!  ;)

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
Been awhile since I've reported here, would like to get back in the habit -  ;D

My most recent purchase was also my biggest in terms of size and items - 10 x 40 packed full, it was a baby store that had closed down with some personal items in the back. Tons of clothes/strollers/car seats/cribs - and alot of buisness type items like shelving, water dispenser, fold up tables. I paid $200 for it, and paid so cheaply because all the other regs focused on the parts side of things. (And there were a TON of parts, a type of locker where you dont want to throw anything away until you've been through it all). I bought this locker about a week ago, and am in $350 pure profit with two sheds full of items still to sell.

Hope everyone else has been enjoying similar success.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »
Went to an auction yesterday (Thursday, May 24, 2012) and only 15 people there for the 4 lockers.
There were 2 of us old-time regulars, 2 year-old regulars, and the rest newbies. So, good odds.

The lockers though were not partiularly interesting and the other long time regular got 3 of 4 mostly at reasonable pries, though one 10 x 10 at $925 seemed a bit of a stretch to me though with a stainless fridge and a rug doctor he said he was half covered so may work out OK.

I left before #4 was sold as it was a junker. But, perhaps more proof if you can find the occasional sale with a small crowd the odds go up for getting a buy.

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »
Took off early friday for a place that has auctions every other month.  First location was down to 1 unit, with the second location down to 2.  I've had small crowds and decent prices before here.  This month was good also (just not for me).  Five people at the first location, 2 old regulars, myself, and 2 6 mo old newbies.  Unit sold for $30 - nothing special.  Second location was 5 of us again, with 2 regulars, 2 older newbies like myself, and 1 6mo newbie.  First unit was like $225 and second unit was $325.  Was packed full with boxes and some appliances and furniture.  So was a good day overall crowd and price wise.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2012, 01:58:45 PM »
Love good news.....

My $1900 lkr purchased May 9 is "clear" now after 3 Saturday flea sales and one big sale today...sold the China Hutch for $475. Was asking $550 and he came back at $450 and I countered with $500 and I think he would have gone for it, but as he hesitated I said to take it for $475 and that sealed the deal. Now I don't have to worry about that elephant.

Looking forward to cruising into the profit stage now with I think about $2K in sales left in there...mostly bigs, but fair number of smalls left too.  ;D

Make that TWO sales:

Three hours after the hutch sale a guy drove 50 miles based on the pictures on Clist and bought table and six chairs for $400, making me one happy camper today.

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 07:08:36 PM »
Today I snuck out of work to hit two auctions.  The good news - crowds were low with less then 20.  The bad news - the lockers pretty much sucked.  There were two auctions at 10am so I hit the one with less units thinking smaller crowd.  Crowd was about a dozen, 1 regular, a 6mo newbie, and rest new faces to me but don't think they are too new.  This place cuts the locks in front of you.  First unit was a 5x10 with 6 boxes and a washer/dryer with the washer stacked on top of dryer.  Nothing great - $60.  Second unit had a shelf, fake tree, and lamp for $5.  The last unit was a 10x10 and slap EMPTY.  Was even swept out.

Second auction was also at 10 but is part of a caravan and they normally run slow.  1.5 hours later the auctioneer finally shows up.  Only 3 units down from 7.  I bid on the last unit but the local whale got it.  I ran it up to $170 and stopped.  With a 10%bp and tax it was getting close to $200 and it was only a $100 unit.  Looked like a school / daycare type stuff with a ton of arts & craft supplies, etc.

Auction wednesday but I have meetings so will miss them.  That will finish up the month for us.  Next month we start with U-haul so will see if June is kinder to me.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »
Went to a "piece by piece" auction the other day. Twelve lkrs opened and 12 to 15 bidders there...usually about 30.
First 3 were dogs, but #4 was a 10 x 30 and had good stuff...took a while to sell it all (maybe 45") but I made out well and other people did to.

With the 10% premium I paid a total of $132 and project the stuff will sell for around $450 or so. That works out to a pretty good hourly rate for the 3.5 hours I was there.

Stayed for a couple of more lkrs being opened, but left with 4 still to go...figured I had enough.

I know alab (haven't heard from him in weeks) has great disdain for these kind of auctions, but they sometimes work out and no complaints from me...and I didn't have to take my 80' semi to load the stuff !  ;)

xx
Auction Scene #2...February, 2012

Started by MovieMan

104 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 08:20:14 PM
by money4nothing
xx
Auction Scene #11...November, 2012

Started by MovieMan

20 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 09:01:08 AM
by MovieMan