Storage Auctions

Auction Scene #6...June, 2012

Re: Auction Scene #6...June, 2012
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
I missed monday's auctions due to work.  Came in super early to get off early to make yesterday auctions.  Two facilities - crowd at first was around 20 people so a dozen bidders.  Price for first locker was high IMO but the others moderate.  Second facility had larger crowd but about the same number of bidders.  Prices were low to moderate.  Good day overall.

Not sure if it was stress, bad mood, or what but I had to play the ahole at the first location.  First unit was inside at back of hall so no light.  One of the new people I've seen around from out of town was 2nd or so in line.  He just sits at the door.  The local whale was behind him looking at him to move.  I caught his eye and he just shakes his head.  I get up to the door and Mr. Out-of-towner says "shine your light in there for me".  I'm like seriously - you are half blocking the door and you want me to show you what is inside.  Well I turn the light on, sweep it in a circular motion, and walk away.  Hope he got his look in the 15 seconds.  Guess the guy got the message as he walked out after that.  So local whale and I got back in line for a real look.

I did get a small unit for $40 at the second facility.  Had a old dell laptop, comforter, serta ortho baby matress, and a sleigh style head/footboard bed. 

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »
Today found us at 4 of the 7 facilities on this caravan.  The other 3 locations were all paid up.  Only 8 units total all day.  Crowd was down from last month but still pretty big for the area.  Still a number of out-of-town people.  Units were decent with ok prices.

I should of jumped on a computer / boxes / totes unit but got worried when 5 of the totes were all pirated movies.  The equipment was designed to burn multiple copies of DVD/CDs at once.  Unit sold for $300.  I was interested in the computers to scrap as they looked old but worried about all the pirated crap.  Guy said laptops were in the totes.  If so he just found a sleeper unit IMO.

Most expensive unit was $1040 - inside unit with some NICE furniture taken care of.  Guy that purchased it was same one that paid $400 for one unit and $625 for another furniture unit.  Was new to me but he dropped some cash today.  Lucky for him the whale wasn't around.

I did get my first "rejected" bid.  Think the auctioneer was pissed at me I didn't bid up a unit at the previous location.  Quick story:  Second location had two units.  Door opened and I see a king size matress and furniture so I didn't even look in the unit.  Sat back talking.  Auctioneer ask for bids and no one answers.  I just say $10 to open it up for him.  One of the other regulars jumps in at $20.  I was like dang - I better look at this.  Is mostly furniture and my trailer is full w/ trash for the dump so I just shake my head at $30.  So he wins at $20.  Guy sold a table to my buddy who was trying to get my attention to bid higher (he had walked away) for $40.  A newbie offered $20 for the matress (wth - can't normally give those away).  So guy made $40 before even cleaning unit out.

Get to last facility of the day.  First unit is a 5x10 with a white sofa torn and no cushions at the door and 2 tall boxes with water stains / paper showing.  He ask for $150 and no one is talking.  So I just say $10 again to get him started or figure a cheap unit.  He is like "I'll not sell it for $10".  I'm like OK.  So he ask for $50 and still no takers.  Takes him starting to close the door for a newbie to yell out $50 and it finally got to $80 by one of the newer couple of ladies that have bought a bunch of trash units.  I just had to laugh - would of made my day if no one would of bid on it.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »

I should of jumped on a computer / boxes / totes unit but got worried when 5 of the totes were all pirated movies.  The equipment was designed to burn multiple copies of DVD/CDs at once.  Unit sold for $300.  I was interested in the computers to scrap as they looked old but worried about all the pirated crap.  Guy said laptops were in the totes.  If so he just found a sleeper unit IMO.

And how did you know the 5 totes were pirated movies BEFORE the bidding began?

Was it because of equipment with 5 DVD burners stacked one on the other or something like that?

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »
The auction scene around here is dead.
Out of 7 facilities, after pay offs, there was 4 units this week.
One auctioneer said he was having trouble cause so many facilities have a ton of empty units they are either giving people more time, doing payment plans or settling for less.

Guess its time to do some leg work and check out other facilities. I've just been lazy and following the same auctioneers rather than finding my own.....

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »
The totes/bins or maybe they were racks were near the door and clear.  You could read the titles printed on the cases, etc.  One of the towers was just a burning station.  Had 8 DVD burners in the case.  Boxes to the left of the door had "13,834 CDs" and "11,239 CDs" etc written on the top of them.  Could shine the light down into the box and see they did contain CDs or DVDs.  There was no question at all that the disk were pirated copies.  Is what scared me away.  I've just learned to trust my first reaction even if I re-guess myself later.  The one time I didn't I wasted some major money.

3 facility silent auction in the morning and our other 3 facility auction monday.  Then things dry up for the month mostly.  So going to hit some yard sales then the auction with my daughter.

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 06:46:30 PM »
Finally ventured out the last couple of days and attended one auction yesterday and one today. 

Yesterdays had 6 units (1 was a managers special).   Small crowd of approx 10, no regulars just newbies.  All the units were pure trash and were bid up for way more than they should have.  The pricess were ranging around $40 - $240.

Todays had 4 units and a crowd of about 15.  Just one regular and the rest newbies.  Three of the units were pure trash and 1 was just trash.  Again the prices were far higher than they should have been.  The just trashy unit went for $250.

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »
Another day saturday - another caravan.  Spent the morning doing yard sales and then hit the 3 facility caravan at 10.  Silent auction so not "as much" fun but can get cheap units.  Crowd was down from the past.  Was about 20 bidders, many new faces which is normal for a saturday.  However, all of the units went to regulars in the end.

I ended up with 2 units out of the 11 myself.  First unit was a small 5x5 with a computer video card showing and boxes.  I could see 2 open packs of baseball cards showing in one box.  Saw a motherboard in another box.  I know computers so put in a 103 bid and won.  Second unit I won was a 10x15 with a nice nightstand showing, cool looking entertainment center, 6 totes, what looked like a high end car part, a lawnmower, some style rack, and a few boxes.  Not a packed unit but I could see $100 easy, another $50-$200 depending on totes, stuff working, etc.  Only bid $177 and was a little surprised I won the unit.

So in the last 8 days I've purchased 4 units with another 3 facility caravan Monday.  After that I'm pretty much done for the rest of the month so will work on selling the stuff.  Also have a dump run in my future...oh the joys of storage auctions ;)

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »
Went to an auction this weekend - it's one of only three facilities in my area (that I know of) that actually cut the locks in front of you (and don't go in beforehand).  The guy cutting locks usually has a wide array of bolt cutters - you know, baby, mama, daddy, and BIG UNCLE.  Well, we get to a unit and the guy almost pops a blood vessel trying to cut the lock - even using the industrial strength cutter.  In fact, two buyers (young bucks) each grab a handle and go to cranking......and end up making a dent in the bolt cutter blades!!  :o  Now that's one tough lock.

Before these two fainted dead away, the manager hopped in his golf cart and came back with a giant grinder.  It took him a while, but eventually the lock got cut.   And to top things off, after all that the unit didn't have much in it.   ??? ???

I have posted a photo of the lock so you can see what I am talking about. 

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
Well I'm done for the month.  Today saw my daughter and I at the 3 facility location that she did well at last month.  This month we had 6 "automotive" units and as expected the crowd was much larger.  They were some nice units but I stayed away from them since don't have a clue about engines, transmissions, and stuff.  My daughter got a so/so unit for $25.  I got the last unit at the facility for $170.  I'm pretty sure I overpaid for the unit.  Wanted to make sure the one other bidder didn't get it.  Daughter ended up with her 3rd unit purchase at the last location for $35.  She should do well on this one.  Twin set of 12" speakers in a box, nice Eureka vac that works and a number of smalls.

This is the most units I've purchased in one month.  So I will be selling for the next few weeks instead of doing auctions / yard sales.

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »
I am laughing that you are done for the month. I have yet to get started. I am going to the "pods" auction this week and then next week is the caravan.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »
This month we had 6 "automotive" units and as expected the crowd was much larger.  They were some nice units but I stayed away from them since don't have a clue about engines, transmissions, and stuff. 

We had two month before last. Same facility so assume same owner.  Everyone stayed away.
I even work in the automotive industry. Billion contacts and I won't touch that stuff if I can't inspect it.
Most tends to be good for nothing more than scrap.

One unit had an engine still in crate. Short block. Figure even for stock, standard car it's a minimum of $500 new.  Ran into winner a few weeks ago at an estate sale and he said it was an awesome unit money wise but total pain in the ass.  Said it seemed like everything in locker weighed 1000lbs. lol
75% went to scrap.  Nothing was quality.  No one wants the block. It's for some odd ball car.
If it hadn't been for the brade new catalytic converters he found in it it would have been a $200-$300 locker.

The second locker he got too and it was sort of a winner. After sales, minus expenses  it was about a $200 loser but it just happened to have the exact struts for his truck. So he got struts for $200. 
and was very happy when he found a mini fridge, plugged in, full of beer.  :)

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
Lol Alias - here that stuff was hot stuff.  All of the units went for $500+ - two for over a grand.  Only 1 of the auto units went to a regular, and it didn't have many "parts" as much as tools, computers, etc.

I know one of the bidders knew the guy that had owned the units.  I just saw them as "scrap" and "vastly heavy" units.  So I didn't even really look at them very hard.

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »
First auction of the month for me yesterday.
Manager opens the first locker and then says "this guy is in jail" 5x10 packed full no way to see the bottom back so I'm thinking it may be a treasure trove. When I take a look ther is a nice iMac sitting right in plain view. Auction starts and before I can get my hand up they are over 1000. I'm like wtf. Goes for 1550.

2nd locker has a Bose surround sound box again right in front. I peek in that side handle and it's in there. Other stuff in the locker too. I'm in. I'm top bid at 275 and the guy running the auction slows down. He then points at another guy and says "did you see the Bose in there?". The bidding takes off again and finishes at 950. Wtf just sell the damn thing.

Prices up up up all day

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »
6-23-12:  Made it to an auction today - 13 lockers and  10 bidders.  Unfortunately, following the recent trends around here, both prices and quality were low.... :P    I bid on a few, but the ones I liked went for more than my limit.  Didn't see any sense in getting a $50 unit, then busting your can to make $55.

Price range $5 - $275 - funny part was only one locker had a washer, and only one locker had a matttress - the rest were a range of furniture, boxes, garbage bags, etc.  I have posted a few images to show the range.

This was a $16.00 locker - an odd bid, but it went up $1 at a time from $10

This one was $140.00 - the seats are from a minivan, and the Gamecube was toast and golf clubs were rusty.
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w482/Cheesehead99/Storage%20Auction%20Photos/62312-140.jpg?t=1340502436

Complete wrapped bedroom set - including the shelves for the headboard and bedding - $145
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w482/Cheesehead99/Storage%20Auction%20Photos/62312-145.jpg

Winning bid was $245 - shelves, old TV and microwave, and hammer-drill in metal case (front left)
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w482/Cheesehead99/Storage%20Auction%20Photos/62312-245.jpg

Highest locker of the day - $275 - kids unit with pitchback net, Jr. golf clubs, bikes, and pedal cars (rough shape)
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w482/Cheesehead99/Storage%20Auction%20Photos/62312-275.jpg

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
I think I would have won Door #1 for $16, Door #2 for $140 & Door #3 for $145.  ;D

The way its been around here for a long while now Door #1 would have gone for $50-$75, Door $2 would have gone for $175-$225, & Door number #3 would have gone for $250-$300 easy. Door #4 would have gone for about the same price, and Door #5? I wouldn't be surprised if it went for $500-$700 (everybody thinks there a professional picker now so the crowd would have gone ape sh$t over the peddle cars!)

xx
Auction Scene #6...June, 2013

Started by MovieMan

10 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 08:57:38 PM
by Cobia
xx
Auction Scene #5...May, 2012

Started by MovieMan

64 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 07:14:02 AM
by money4nothing