Storage Auctions

Auction Scene Thread Statistics (decline in replies and views)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Auction Scene Thread Statistics (decline in replies and views)
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
Take a look at these stats for the Auction Scene threads running in descending order from January, 2012 through October, 2012.

The replies go down (from the members here who actually post) and the views go down (from the over 2600 members here who don’t post at all).

Is this somewhat “telling” for where the business might be going?  

The first number shown on left is "replies". Second number on right is "views".

Auction Scene #1...January, 2012      145     5472

Auction Scene #2....February, 2012   104     4512

Auction Scene #3...March, 2012          95     3996

Auction Scene #4...April, 2012            69     3203

Auction Scene #5...May, 2012             64    3404

Auction Scene #6...June, 2012            56     2777

Auction Scene #7...July, 2012             60     3081

Auction Scene #8...August, 2012         27     2191

Auction Scene #9...September, 2012   26     1981

Auction Scene #10...October, 2012      29     1419

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Auction Scene Thread Statistics (decline in replies and views)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
Is this somewhat “telling” for where the business might be going?

Not really, I just find those threads to be totally boring so I don't even view them anymore.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:36:42 PM »
I for one have been going to many fewer auctions than I used to.  It has turned into mostly a waste of time, between facilities holding on to the the better units, people not putting their best stuff in the units anymore, and the large crowds of hi-rolling gamblers!  I still get a locker here and there, but the deals are few and far between.

Just a note about auctions in general.  Not only have the shows messed up the storage auction business, but it has affected most other types of auctions also.  I go to a lot of commercial type auctions and the attendance at these auctions is way up, along with a corresponding uptick in pricing!  I went to one on Tuesday (didn't put it in the "auction scene" because it wasn't a storage auction) and prices and crowds were unbelievable!  

I had researched a bunch of the inventory over the last couple of evenings and made a list of some of the things I was interested in and prices I was willing to pay, and what the values were.  I have also purchased many of these items in the past (commercial restaurant equipment for those taking notes).  Anyway, get to the auction, and prices were totally amazing.  Some kitchen equipment was selling for more than you could buy it BRAND NEW at the restaurant supply store!  Items I have purchased before for $45-$75 were selling for $200-$375!  An item that usually will sell for $700-$800 (that I was willing to go to a grand on) sold for 3K!  Plus, on top of these prices, they have a 10% buyers premium and tax!  There were many more items like that, everything from espresso machines to coolers to deli counters, and everything was priced out of sight!

Sorry, guess I got a little off topic.  Just to sum it up, I think the reason we're seeing fewer posts is that the members on here probably are not buying as much as they did earlier in the year. We haven't been seeing as many "treasures" or hearing as many stories overall.  How many times can we write "I went to an auction, too many people, prices sucked, didn't get anything"?!   At least that's my excuse.  

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »
Not really, I just find those threads to be totally boring so I don't even view them anymore.

Yet you looked at this one!  Champion on there Alloro!  :D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
I for one have been going to many fewer auctions than I used to.  

Just to sum it up, I think the reason we're seeing fewer posts is that the members on here probably are not buying as much as they did earlier in the year. We haven't been seeing as many "treasures" or hearing as many stories overall.  How many times can we write "I went to an auction, too many people, prices sucked, didn't get anything"?!    At least that's my excuse.  

I don't attend nearly the number of auction I did two years ago and this year I have bought less than half the lockers I did last year and last year was down 50% from years prior to that. Picking has been more lucrative than the storage auction scene.

And yes, the auction scene reports have turned into mostly what you said (highlighted in red above) with fewer and fewer stories about great finds.

This is why I posted the stats I did. I think we are seeing an "end" to the business as we knew it before the tv shows.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:43:09 PM »
Movieman, I definitely think you're on to something. Storage auctions, as a trend, have been on a steady decline in search volume since January 2012. The past few months have been especially rough but I can't exactly explain why. Perhaps, like a song that is played on the radio too many times, people are losing interest. See the following chart: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=storage%20auctions&date=today%2012-m&cmpt=q

Perhaps it has something to do with the holidays. Since storage auctions are a relatively new niche, we don't have enough data to really predict the slow seasons. However, if you look at the search volume history for the term "auctions", you will see a steady decline from October - January. Then it starts picking up again.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »
Well I know for myself, I've gotten busy with work and just not had as much "free time".  Plus, instead of buying at auctions I was picking yard sales.  Would buy a unit here and there but wasn't as aggresive.  Now that yard sales are drying up I see more of the regulars going for units once again.

I'm one of those guilty of posting a general auction suck, crowd large, yada yada.  Guess I try to give a quick overview so people can keep up with the trend from auction to auction.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »

I'm one of those guilty of posting a general auction suck, crowd large, yada yada.  Guess I try to give a quick overview so people can keep up with the trend from auction to auction.

Nothing wrong with that. If that's what the scene is, that's what it is.  There's also the Treasure Chest (or whatever area) to post good finds in as well.

In California the weather is generally good enough that people will still have yard/garage sales throughout the winter, but not as many of course.  The fleas (outdoor) go year round as well. Two years ago I missed 4 Saturdays because of rain, but the other 48 held up !

Auctions not affected by weather here...people turn out even more in the rain figuring others won't do so, but then everyone comes !

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:23:09 AM »
Nothing wrong with that. If that's what the scene is, that's what it is.  There's also the Treasure Chest (or whatever area) to post good finds in as well.

In California the weather is generally good enough that people will still have yard/garage sales throughout the winter, but not as many of course.  The fleas (outdoor) go year round as well. Two years ago I missed 4 Saturdays because of rain, but the other 48 held up !

Auctions not affected by weather here...people turn out even more in the rain figuring others won't do so, but then everyone comes !

Since this is a public thread, I don't plan on posting about a bunch of "treasures" I find. Every once in the while I might mention something interesting that I don't think would cause a big stur; but your never gonna see me say on this site;

"WOW!, I won a unit for $200 and sold all the furniture in it for $4000!!!, this is soo fun & easy!!!" (disclaimer, not likely to happen in real life, but if it did, not gonna advertise)

Most will probably continue to be, depending on competition and interest at the auctions, "Won a couple of units, look pretty good, should make a little money on them, YAWN!"

My theory is there are a lot of "sleepers" still lurking out there waiting to get in the business. Most are probably those who got in with everyone else when the competition was the fiercest, got burned, and are now waiting to try again when the time is right; and those who have been interested but haven't made the step but it is still in the corner of their mind to jump in this business some time in the near future.

The last thing I want to do is give "signals" to the public at large "That the time is right to get in or back in to storage auctions."

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »
Cobia
"WOW!, I won a unit for $200 and sold all the furniture in it for $4000!!!, this is soo fun & easy!!!" (disclaimer, not likely to happen in real life, but if it did, not gonna advertise)"

This made me chuckle...we have this old guy, (nice enough old guy) that sells at flea markets and when he wins a unit he always tells us how he made 10K+ and paid 2K for it. Or spent 350.00 and had made 7k so far and still making more on it! If anyone knows Denio's flea market or the Stockton flea markets they know people want to pay 1.00 for a brand new pair of Levi 501's button fly with red stitching  ;)  (as an exaggerated example, but mot much)  so we just nod our heads and smile. Now granted, he might swing it but we doubt it. But, when people hear this kind of boasting, they believe it for a fact until they get burned a few times.

xx
What do you think of the different views available on Craigslist?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 03:31:20 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
Craigslist Statistics

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 07:13:39 AM
by MovieMan
xx
New storage wars videos -- Great stuff-How the public views the show