Storage Auctions

Aukward Experience

Aukward Experience
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:01:31 AM »
I went to an auction yesterday and had the most aukward thing happen to me, I'm new to the game so this might happen more times then not but this lady was going around crying and begging people if they won her unit to please let her take her kids clothes out. It was sad, but what do you guys say if you have someone like that?

Re: Aukward Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »
Most of the auctions I have attended specifically do not allow the renter or any family member on the property when the auction is going on. Sounds like someone may have been trying to scam you.......

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
It varies from site to site, but I have been at auctions where the former owner IS allowed in. Depends on the mgr and how the former owner addresses the issue.

Sometimes they will even be allowed to bid on their old locker. Usually though, that is not the case. Sometimes they will get friends to bid on it for them.

I doubt it was a scam issue, but anything is possible.
I have actually sold back entire units to former owners and I have also sold back specific items.

Once I bought the paperwork and computers of a mortgage broker company. The boxes were clearly labled on the outside as to the year of the documents. Since those papers contain all kinds of info on loan applicants it was a simple matter to get the old owner to BUY BACK the sensitive paper. The biz was still in business and  just got sloppy with their storage.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:09 PM »
Hi,
I've had 3 units that I bought and the owners approached me.  I normally take their name/number and wait until they are gone to clear out the locker.  I then called them later to see what they want/needed.  The first one only wanted an old tape player and some personal items.  He paid me for them.  And the other 2 only wanted their personal papers/pictures back.   I delivered them after I went through everything.  There were tears from one of the owners, but they all were grateful!  Healthe

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
Thats good advice. I'm pretty sure she wasnt scamming but I guess you never know.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »
I actually was at an auction where the person who previously owned the unit actually went into the unit took a jewelry box and a folder full of stuff and ran off.

Any pictures, documents, etc I always try to give back to the origional owner and wouldn't even think of charging for this kind of stuff.. Any kids stuff I will always give back for free. For the most part clothes I'll even give back. Bigger ticket items I'm keeping though.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
I actually was at an auction where the person who previously owned the unit actually went into the unit took a jewelry box and a folder full of stuff and ran off.

Any pictures, documents, etc I always try to give back to the origional owner and wouldn't even think of charging for this kind of stuff.. Any kids stuff I will always give back for free. For the most part clothes I'll even give back. Bigger ticket items I'm keeping though.

Run, Forrest, run !

LOL, that must have been a sight. Hope the front gate had a walk through so he could get out !

xx
First Auction experience

Started by vinitabenzel

0 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 05:27:42 AM
by vinitabenzel
xx
Has anyone had experience with Worthpoint?

Started by MovieMan

11 Replies
Last post February 16, 2014, 01:39:19 PM
by luke
xx
Anyone have any experience selling purses?

Started by rulesforrebels

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 10:53:02 AM
by ChefJ
xx
What has been your best Craigslist selling/buying experience?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 09:02:45 AM
by Travis