Storage Auctions

Bidders are not your buddies!

Bidders are not your buddies!
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:09:40 AM »
Hi,
I just recently bought a unit for $160 which didn't have much in it, but the stuff looked like quality.  Well, I was told by a friend that some of the bidders are bidding on the units that I want just to bid me up on the price!  I think that from now on, I'll be quiet about my profits!  I've been fortunate in picking units that have made me money.  So, word of warning!  Bidders are not your friends, they are your competition!  It's okay to chit/chat, but be careful about telling them about all the GOOD stuff you're finding.  That's what I get for being friendly!  Healthe  ;D

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
Re: Bidders are not your buddies!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:41:26 AM »
amen!

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:18:28 PM »
You just learned what auctioneers have said for years...
There are no friends at auction!

Of course, they also use this to help people understand that entering into agreements with others not to bid on something, so that they won't bid against you, is a violation of federal law. This is referred to as "collusion" and carries very stiff penalties of up to a year in jail and/or a fine of $1-million.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for sharing that information.  That's good to know!  Healthe

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »
There are always bidders that just want to make someone else spend their money so they run out and then they can buy at a better price. Some just trying to discourage new bidders from particpating.  Do not be unwilling to drop out when you think the price is to high.  No one is forcing you to bid. I have been suckered in to bidding wars myself and ended up paying more then I though I should when I intially looked at a unit.  It is best to stick with your first instinct when you first look and not go higher.  There will always be other units.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:24:45 AM »
Hi Drbecker,
Thanks for your input!  Great advice.  I have so far broke even on the $160 unit and I still have a large toaster oven, surround sound stereo, diamond ring, along with lots of clothes to sell.  So I didn't lose.  But, you just never know.

Take care, Healthe :)

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:04:26 AM »
I'm new to the game, but I know to keep my cards close.  I was chatted-up by another newbie couple at one auction.  I thought it was funny when they said "Do you know of any other auctions going on today?"  and "Where do you get your information from?  We get ours from auctionzip."  I was lauging internally.  I just played dumb and said I knew of no other auctions that day and that I would have to check out ..."auctionzip is it?...hmm I've never heard of that (sarcasim)." ::)

Did they actually think I was going to tell them if there were other auctions?!  I hear this more than a few times at auctions I attend.  And sometimes the old vets do it to.  They will either ask or announce where auctions are that day....plain stupid!

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »
I kind of like it the way we have it in memphis.

Most people here, both newbies and vet's share correct information.
But there is also a understanding among the vets and the newbies that when the locker door opens the wars is on.
When the auction is over it is back to talking.

We also like to stick it to each other during the bidding, and of course we try to bid up the newbies. But thats just for fun.

xx
My poker buddies are apparently con men...

Started by Mister Sonny

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 02:41:21 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Beanie babies and buddies

Started by a3rdRanger

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 06:27:01 AM
by money4nothing
xx
Not ALL Bidders are Rude...