Storage Auctions

Digging in locker story time.

Digging in locker story time.
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:23:30 AM »
Since we have so many new members to the board (again).  I figured I'd share some of my discoveries of late.  I was cleaning out my sheds of boxes from units that I bought and just tossed here and there.  Plus, cleaning out my latest purchase.  Here are some of the things I have for my trouble.

1) Trailer full of trash, not counting the 2 boxsprings and 2 matress ($20 to dump)
2) Sold particle board dresser w/ gash on side (they didn't want the mirror) - $50
3) New unit has lots of kitchen items - full drawer of forks, knives, spoons.  Block w/ knives, etc.
4) George Formen Grill, Iron
5) Glasses and Tupperware
6) Knick nacks and figurines
7) Box of same from above wrapped in bubble wrap, tissue, etc.  Get all excited and find they are the dollar tree crap.  Who wraps up $1 ceramic figurines.
8) 2002 Class Ring - no stone.  Got all excited when first saw the ring.  However, it's not stamped 10k or anything and is a poor school.  So 98% sure it is nickel-chromium aka Josten's Lustrium.  Keep getting close to jewelry but still a no-go for me.
9) 4 napkin rings that look to be sterling-silver.  Need to have these checked.
10) Cloths, cloths, and more cloths
11) Curtins, blinds, and some other odds and ends.
12) Glass table top and 4 matching chairs  -- this will be what pays for the unit or not.

That is about it for my first two weeks of the new year.  Most of the cloths are set to be donated to Goodwill.  Just put all the glass and kitchen stuff up till March.

So what all have ya'll found so far this month????

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Re: Digging in locker story time.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »
7) Box of same from above wrapped in bubble wrap, tissue, etc.  Get all excited and find they are the dollar tree crap.  Who wraps up $1 ceramic figurines.

Everyone!! Better get use to this.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »
Lol - well out of 18 lockers that was a first for me.  I just added to the list of "Why do people pay good money to store this crap?".

Don't know how I forgot but I didn't include the 500+ VHS tapes that was in this locker.  I mean I saw the one tub.  But I've found 4 pillowcases full of tapes, a couple of boxes, and still have some things in the locker to get out.  So wouldn't be surprised if find more.  Would of been ok if was all original movies but 90% of them are recorded TV series.  Big Charmed, DragonBallZ, etc. fan in this unit.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:46:58 AM »
I HATE VHS movies.  I can't give those things away!  Well actually I did at our yard sale Saturday.....but I had to beg him to take them!

An update on my Tons of Fun unit:
Most of the 'collectibles' are not worth much.  Maybe $100 when is all said and done.  Antique furniture perhaps $150 or so.  I did sell an old table to a buddy.  He also wants the crate, but I'm gonna try to squeeze a few extra dollars from craigslist first.  

All in all~we'll make money on the unit and cover the cost of the icky unit bought the same week.  Our gravy will be the Toulouse Lautrec litho that we should get around $400 for.  

The digging was fun, but the selling????
I'd rather move microwave ovens and Dewalt drills~

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »
Lol - well out of 18 lockers that was a first for me.  I just added to the list of "Why do people pay good money to store this crap?".

Don't know how I forgot but I didn't include the 500+ VHS tapes that was in this locker.  I mean I saw the one tub.  But I've found 4 pillowcases full of tapes, a couple of boxes, and still have some things in the locker to get out.  So wouldn't be surprised if find more.  Would of been ok if was all original movies but 90% of them are recorded TV series.  Big Charmed, DragonBallZ, etc. fan in this unit.

A word of warning. Not all VHS tapes are junk. I found one recently that is selling for around $15-$20 in good condition. Mostly they go right in the garbage though, except for children's VHS tapes especially Disney, can still get $0.50-$1.00 at the flea market. Definitely research any VHS titles you don't recognize, they could be scarce and thus have some value.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:06:57 AM »

The $1 store wrapped items are always a disappointment, and sometimes after unwrapping 6 or so of 50 in a box I just stop and throw the whole thing in the trash...sure, maybe I threw way a Hummel in my rush, but I doubt it.

I thought my find of 250 or so VHS in my recent $400+ lkr buy was a lot, but only half your 500 find. What amazes me is that more than half of this batch didn't have the cardboard cover...just the black cassette. So if those are all on a shelf sitting on the short end, the name tags are the only scarce way to see what they contain. I still have a dozen or so old VHS from "the day" but they are all in their original sleeves. DVDs will soon be going away too (in next couple of years) as electronic delivery becomes more prevalent.

At my flea the clamshell Disney VHS used to sell (4 or so years ago) for $3 to $5, but even those hardly go anymore as only the poorest (or oldest) of buyers are still using VHS. Ever try to sell a VHS player for more than $5 ($10 at the most)?

The Mexicans at my flea sell VHS tapes for $.50 each and use up a whole 6' table laying them out wide title up. If they have 100 displayed they might sell 3 in a day...a whole $1.50....must be a better way to fill that space.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
#10 for me, Clothes and clothes.

think have only 2 VHS tapes.
have about 50 DVD. Had them marked @ $2 each at yard sale and had to sell some for $1. did make people stop and look. So those are going out as Movieman said.

Did dig through my ebay bin. Got all my info to get it on there, did forget about some of that stuff. LOL

Been lucky on the dump runs, burn some of it. and some bad furniture was able to give it away. Maybe half a truck load of garbage.

On the dollar store stuff mine are not warped thrown in a laundry basket/ they don't even get a box. LOL

rockin cool on the Toulouse Lautrec litho.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »
Here is a glass table that came with 4 suede leather chairs.  This is where I hope to make my money back from the unit.  Then all the smalls (kitchen stuff) will be profit.

This unit I'm 100% sure now was "combined" by the facility.  Got a ton of electronic equipment, black family photo's, etc.  Then I find all of the OLD pictures and things of a white lady.  I think all of the kitchen stuff and boxes were hers.  The box labels were what was in the box, etc.  The N64, amps, and other electronic equipment I would think went with the black family.

Got a whole box that when opened was DVD collections (Charmed season 1, etc.)  I had a feeling something was fishy and was right - they were empty boxes.

Picture of my "REDKNECK" truck with all the box spring / matresses from the unit.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:20:37 PM »
You should use your trailer to haul mattresses. Here is my hauling rig bought the trailer just to do auctions it makes the trips to the dump more productive and saves lot of trips when hauling stuff home.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »
Well I normally do.  If you look in the background you will see my trailer is a little full.  Had just spent the weekend cleaning out the shed and getting ready for a dump run.  Hadn't really expected to win a unit with the crowds I knew would be there.  With full time job didn't get a chance to make a dump run and then clean unit.  I also wanted to put the trash from this unit in with this load - matress/boxspring included.  That saves me $20.

I can already tell my poor trailer is going to be dragging this weekend.  Trying to keep everything dry with all this rain to reduce weight.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »
Like the table Craigsltauction.

Well after a total nothing done yesterday (rained all day) did get the ads on CL.

Went and cleaned up our sorting area, Finally have it working much easier. Broke apart a lost cause china hutch (small). Salvaged the handles and latches, (we spent $7 on nob's for a dresser). Pulled the plastic off the front and husband is enjoying the fire.  ;D

We too did not expect to get one either so still have to repair the table and chairs. Screw gun and a staple gun to recover the chairs and put table back together. Might have to sell it on CL with the current thrift store issue.

We have a large car trailer (husbands father built it) Got it unloaded last week. Someone wanted to borrow it so they unloaded the steel decking we were storing on it.  ;D
Then we bought 100 fence post, trailer loaded again. LOL We borrow my uncles for the lockers, he has a horse trailer we can use also.

Craig your truck looks like us when we are empting a locker...  ;)

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 03:32:34 AM »
i have had some ok success sealing VHS tapes on ebay.Its usually in 15-30 tape lots but sometimes they can sit in the store forever.The westerns and classic movies seem to do the best.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
Since we have so many new members to the board (again).  I figured I'd share some of my discoveries of late. 
4) George Formen Grill, Iron

I hate those words...."George Forman Grill".

At one point I ended up with over 50 of the small ones, sell in store for $14.99, on Internet for $10.
First 15-20 went fast.... Then sat on them. One here, one there.
Finally sold as lot for $2each.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
Hmm - at $2 each I maybe could of made as much money or little more scrapping it.  Would have to take one a part and weight the items to figure out.  If this one don't work that is what will happen to it.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
Whoa there! That sounds like way to much work! :)

Had half of a tractor trailer full of small cheap appliances. Wanted to move them fast and easy.
When you have the entire back room stacked floor to ceiling with grills, toasters, cheap DVD players.....sorta makes you feel like your living a scene out of Goodfellas!  Time to bargain sell and reinvest..... 

xx
How much time to clean out a locker ?

Started by MovieMan

5 Replies
Last post November 30, 2012, 04:57:59 PM
by KrauseHouse
xx
What has been your average payback on a locker purchase over time?

Started by mtpockets

3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 06:53:40 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
Old timers - tell us your story

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 09:10:08 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
My unusual Urn story