Storage Auctions

FINALLY! Its proven storage wars is fake.

FINALLY! Its proven storage wars is fake.
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:44:44 AM »
hahaha, they really blew it, now we all know the show is faker than fake.  Dave Hester has been in a legal battle with some dumb rapper over the use of the word YUPP being used and until this was settled he couldn't attend auctions and use his YUPP phrase.  So how does storage wars explain his abscence?  They are running promotions for the show , showing that Dave was attending other auctions away from the regulars.  LMAO, you blew it Storage Wars, I already knew the show was fake because nobody leaves 5 grand worth of coins in storage locker.  Now don't get me wrong, i'll still watch the show but only because Barry cracks me up.  But....the jig is up, the show is fake. :o

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
Re: FINALLY! Its proven storage wars is fake.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »
I don't understand how Dave Hester's legal battles preventing him from attending a few filmings has anything to do with the show being fake. It's a TV show. A real TV show. The cast are real auction buyers. The auctions are even real auctions (sort of). I imagine either the producers or Hester's attorney suggested he stay away until things settled. What does that have to do with the authenticity of the TV show? The only 'fake' part would be what they supposably find in the lockers. As we all know the cool and valuable finds are few and far between. It's reality TV so obviously they have to spice it up to keep up their ratings otherwise who would watch it. I guess you could define that as fake but I just think its TV's spin on a real profession.

I was in attendance at an auction that they were at and aired from last season. It was a real scheduled auction that I was attending with the intention of buying. It was a shock to all of us when the whole Storage Wars cast and crew showed up. There were two locations. Pooring rain. First place had about 5 units. Pretty ugly units, not staged. The cast bought them all but some of the regular buyers bid as well and could have bought them but of course prices were ridiculous. Second location had only 3 units and at the last minute the show decided to pass on it and said they had enough footage from the first location. I got a unit at the second location, good one too. Anyway, back to the first place, they didn't film the part where they find out what they got until the next day so none of us were there. This is the fake part, lol! Without bothering to go into detail, there were some subtle changes that resulted in some cool finds. Ran the dvr back and forth several times to check and yes there were some add ins that weren't there the previous day. That is reality TV for ya. I have to say I watch the show in a whole new light after that experience. Ok, yeah maybe it's a little fake. Now if you want to talk about total fake, lets talk about Storage Hunters.....aaarrrggghhh

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
This is the fake part, lol! Without bothering to go into detail, there were some subtle changes that resulted in some cool finds. Ran the dvr back and forth several times to check and yes there were some add ins that weren't there the previous day. That is reality TV for ya. I have to say I watch the show in a whole new light after that experience. Ok, yeah maybe it's a little fake. Now if you want to talk about total fake, lets talk about Storage Hunters.....aaarrrggghhh

Thanks for the first-hand look at the filming process. Needless to say the time these things happen is an important part of the "setup" for our viewing pleasure.  ::)

I haven't watched Storage Hunters (and won't) but we musn't forget the crazy finds on Auction Hunters as well.  I think the end is near for all of them (within the next 12 months anyway).

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:46:40 AM »
What I find 'FAKE' about STORAGE WARS is the PRICES!!! I don't even mean the ridiculous prices they pay for those units-and let's all THANK STORAGE WAYS, STORAGE HUNTERS... and a few other storage auction shows for the ridiculous prices that I and I bet alot of YOU see out there that were not there before these shows were on TV.  >:(  I am talking about this 'contest' whether it is trying to make out that Jared made money, or say, Darrell, I know all, Sheets-over PRICING EVERYTHING-making him a 'winner' alot of the weeks. Why don't we see the prices the items sell for? Or better yet, ALL THE ITEMS in the container appraised/sold for? At least Auction Hunters, unless ALL THE APPRAISERS ARE PAID OFF, and that would ruin their reps... we have a somewhat more honest 'selling/buying' price.

I realize, that with all these shows, they have to do something to 'spice' them up. Auction Hunters-They used to say-don't remember if they still do-that 95% of their lockers are crap. With the above, with SW-They probably show them 'winning' the units-and then, over estimating everything-OR-show them going through a previous unit they bought and did good on. I wonder how much of the show's money they are given -they pay ridiculous money-and the show obviously wants at least 2,3 of them to win a locker. I would be  >:( PISSED  >:( beyond belief if they were 'filming' at one of the few auctions I attended. I don't have much $$$$ -if they are there-I know I could not afford to bid.

DID YOU GET A CROWD APPEARANCE FEE-OR DID YOU JUST SIGN A WAIVER FOR APPEARING ON THE SHOW? Or with 'reality' shows-do they even have to do that?

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
Of course it is fake...it is a TV show. I work at at a storage facility. The auctions are not run this way, the same people don't win every time !!!The other people there are just extras. I used to watch them for fun but the people like Dave are just getting too over the top. For a while I would record them and just fast forward when he was talking, or shown. About the only person I like on here anymore is Barry he is the only one that doesn't act like a total idiot.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
"DID YOU GET A CROWD APPEARANCE FEE-OR DID YOU JUST SIGN A WAIVER FOR APPEARING ON THE SHOW? Or with 'reality' shows-do they even have to do that?"

No appearance fee and yes we had to sign a waiver. They also covered any writing or logo's on our clothing with black tape. Regular people in the crowd did do some bidding but of course they aren't wearing microphones or being filmed. Basically there are camera guys following each of (and only) the main characters. I would imagine if there was a unit that was absolutely not worth having their character win it they would just let a regular win it and then edit it out of the show. They only showed, I think, 3 of the 5 units sold that day on the show. Also they do 'library footage' between lockers where they just point the camera at different people in the crowd and instruct you to raise your hand as if you were bidding or making an 'I'm out type gesture' and they add these shots in later so when you see crowd bids they are not the real bids that actually happened. Based on how high the units go, I really think the show is paying for the units because the actors/buyers don't seem to care how high they go. It's just about winning the unit.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 03:29:36 AM »
I have been at three auctions in the last three months where Storage Wars was being filmed.

The first was in Westminister in Orange county. The first locker there, had a chair by the door with a framed poster of James Dean sitting on it. Jarrod outbid me at $700. I was at the front of the crowd, directly in front of Dan Datson. Jarrod was off to my right about 10 foot away.

This locker appeared on the show. Its the one where Jarrod found a Chinese bone replica of an ancient
earthquake sensor. On the show the Dean poster is facing away. I am not in the scene. Someone else is bidding against Jarrod and the locker "sold" for $750.

So a real auction on a real locker, but apparently re-shot the next day. Most likely to avoid having to pay for the use of James Dean's likeness.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 12:19:41 AM »
I know we all want to believe these shows are real, and I'm sure once in a while there are crazy finds like you see on TV. We all know that TV is for entertainment though, so some things are probably "spiced up" here and there.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »
probably

Probably ?

That's like saying the word "probably" just above is probably shown in the color RED and probably in 18 pt type.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »
When you watch too much reality tv you think you can go up against Dave Hester....
When you think you can go up against Dave Hester you pay $1,300 for a pile of junk...
When you pay $1,300 for a pile of junk you don't have money to pay your rent....
When you don't have money to pay your rent you dumpster dive in Bel Aire....
When you dumpster dive in Bel Aire you wake up in a roadside ditch.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
When you watch too much reality tv you think you can go up against Dave Hester....
When you think you can go up against Dave Hester you pay $1,300 for a pile of junk...
When you pay $1,300 for a pile of junk you don't have money to pay your rent....
When you don't have money to pay your rent you dumpster dive in Bel Aire....
When you dumpster dive in Bel Aire you wake up in a roadside ditch.

BWD....

Someday you might get in trouble for publishing something like this without giving attribution, but as long as I'm around on THIS forum I'll save your rear when I can.

The post and the quote above are from THIS source:

www.facebook.com/storagetreasures

Edit: Maybe it's all right for Storage Treasures to take the idea from DirecTV (that was the original source of the 'idea' for that theme) and maybe they got permission from DTV to use a variation (though I doubt it) AND then there's the photo Storage Treasures used....see it below.  That's a ripoff (I believe) from DTV as well.  Is there no honor ? Come on Storage Treasures (Lance ?)

The DTV commercial in question has the young man shown in the ditch starting out playing racquetball, getting a damaged eye, then an eyepatch and getting chased and beaten up by 3 thugs and thrown in the ditch.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 07:59:01 AM »
BWD....

Someday you might get in trouble for publishing something like this without giving attribution, but as long as I'm around on THIS forum I'll save your rear when I can.

The post and the quote above are from THIS source:

www.facebook.com/storagetreasures

Edit: Maybe it's all right for Storage Treasures to take the idea from DirecTV (that was the original source of the 'idea' for that theme) and maybe they got permission from DTV to use a variation (though I doubt it) AND then there's the photo Storage Treasures used....see it below.  That's a ripoff (I believe) from DTV as well.  Is there no honor ? Come on Storage Treasures (Lance ?)

The DTV commercial in question has the young man shown in the ditch starting out playing racquetball, getting a damaged eye, then an eyepatch and getting chased and beaten up by 3 thugs and thrown in the ditch.

That's why I never say "That's Hot!" I don't want Paris Hilton to sue me.  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
That's why I never say "That's Hot!" I don't want Paris Hilton to sue me.  ;D

Good to know !  ;D

Fortunately I'm from the era when people said "That's COOL !" and I don't think that was ever 'branded' by a 'star'  so I probably don't have to worry about it.  ;)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »
LOL! We see the man with a eye-patch ads for Comcast in our area (Atlanta)

for Comcast ?

Here's the actual commercial.

http://www.popisms.com/TelevisionCommercial/49909/DirecTV-Commercial-2012.aspx

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
Probably ?

That's like saying the word "probably" just above is probably shown in the color RED and probably in 18 pt type.

It probably is......however, on my 20yr old monitor in the shop it sorta looks "salmon".....maybe a shade of "pink"?.......and I can't judge pt level to well......I'll probably just take your word for it.     ;D

xx
Nobody Cares That Storage Wars Is Fake

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 08:28:12 PM
by Travis
xx
Storage Wars NY - Cancelled ... Finally.

Started by auctionguy

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2015, 01:20:53 AM
by EricBosloor
xx
Now that storage wars is confirmed fake! Are people going

Started by bwd111

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 04:50:54 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Storage Wars Texas' Lesa Lewis Finally Responds To Request For Interview